Roleplaying Games (General Discussion)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 1 year ago

I've been contemplating making this thread for a while, but I really don't know where to start. (warning, wall of text incoming)

I love RPGS, both on the computer and in Pen and Paper format. I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons for longer than I've been playing M:TG, I got started in the early days of PC gaming with titles such as Pools of Radiance (a classic), the Krynn trilogy (Death Knights of Krynn being the best of the three), and the Eye of the Beholder Trilogy. So when I transitioned to pen and paper I was well acquainted with the 2nd edition ruleset. However, at the time TSR was about to go Bankrupt due to mismanagement and a small upstart company known as Wizards of the Coast offered to buy them out, They announced that they were working on a new edition of D&D shortly afterwards, and I decided to hold out on going to Pen and Paper until it was released. Once the 3rd edition of D&D was released, I started playing, and it wasn't long until I found myself building worlds, creating NPC's and monsters, and settled in as a not terrible DM. It wasn't long after that I discovered the original fallout games and realized that RPG's need not be limited to fantasy, and as such I played some of the old FASA Star Wars RPG, and the Swedish Sci-Fi post apocalyptic RPG known as Mutant (which incidentally is awesome). I really wanted to try out Battletech, but between it being nearly impossible to find over here at the time, and it being very math heavy, I never got into it. Eventually D&D became my preferred pen and paper RPG, and I thoroughly enjoyed the update to 3.5. While I made a noble effort to follow the change to 4th edition, it rapidly became apparent that 4ED&D was not an RPG, it was a glorified miniatures game, and as such a lot of people quit the brand during this era. Instead, I moved to the spiritual continuation of 3.5E, the Pathfinder RPG published by Paizo. When 5E of D&D got announced I got cautiously excited, but as it released I came to the realization that it while it was a step back from 4th edition to an actual RPG rules set, it was to big of a step. In my mind, 5E is a lot closer to 2nd edition than 3rd edition, and would have been a good midway point between the two. As such I have continued with 3.5/Pathfinder, making some tweaks to incorporate the good parts of other editions, and such. I still very much playing computer RPG's, Skyrim is a perennial favorite of mine, as is Conan: Age of Exiles, and I am currently playing Fallout 76 to great enjoyment (fun fact, renowned film maker John Carpenter also plays it).

Anyway, that is my experience with RPG's. I started playing them in '92, started playing MTG in '94, and started with Pen and Paper D&D, when 3rd edition was released.

Do you enjoy RPG's? I think there is a considerable amount of overlap between players of MTG and those play RPG's (Because if there wasn't, WotC wouldn't have released two MTG based campaign setting books D&D, and two D&D based MTG sets), so I assume that there are other people on here who play both.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 1 year ago

I enjoy RPGs, but I have a hard time committing to playing them. We had a few month long Pathfinder campaign back in 2014, but then a few buddies got busy and the PPTQ system launched in 2015, which caused me to get really into competitive magic.

I still do enjoy RPG type video games, not sure if you'd call Pokemon an RPG but it's still one of my favourite series

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
1 year ago
I enjoy RPGs, but I have a hard time committing to playing them. We had a few month long Pathfinder campaign back in 2014, but then a few buddies got busy and the PPTQ system launched in 2015, which caused me to get really into competitive magic.

I still do enjoy RPG type video games, not sure if you'd call Pokemon an RPG but it's still one of my favourite series
Pokemon is most definitely an RPG, and a good one at that. With extensive world building that is expanded upon with each consecutive game. Personally I'm a gen 3/gen 4 fan, and I am curious to which way Purple/Crimson is taking the franchise..

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 1 year ago

I think gens 1-2 are my favourite. While I was a kid when gen 1 (thus the series) came out, I didn't play it until after 2, as I didn't have a game boy until after. I enjoy most gens, but don't get the same feelings for any after 3 tbh. Probably because of the nostalgia for the first 3

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I never had the opportunity to play gen 1 and 2, but I got the chance to play both when they got remade. Gen 1 got remade in Gen 3 (as Leaf Green and Fire Red), while Gen 2 got remade in Gen 4 (as Heart Gold and Soul Silver), they were quite enjoyable.

Also, the Pokemon Movie has the honor of being the first animated movie I saw that brought tears to my eyes. Which is really saying something as I was in my 20's when I saw it.

AndresBeck

Post by AndresBeck » 10 months ago

Krishnath wrote:
1 year ago
I never had the opportunity to play gen 1 and 2, but I got the chance to play both when they got remade. Gen 1 got remade in Gen 3 (as Leaf Green and Fire Red), while Gen 2 got remade in Gen 4 (as Heart Gold and Soul Silver), they were quite enjoyable.

Also, the Pokemon Movie has the honor of being the first animated movie I saw that brought tears to my eyes. Which is really saying something as I was in my 20's when I saw it.
I also cried because of the movie Pokemon Movie. It's a very good and touching movie Tele Latino Modilimitado
Last edited by AndresBeck 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

Sacrilege. Dark queen of krynn was the best. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”