The DCC - September 1st, 2022

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people.  Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread.  If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread.  If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

DCC Scoreboard

CunningGabe 89 (+5)
Rithaniel 75 (+5)
void_nothing 67 (+1)
netn10 66 (+3)
bravelion83 62 (+3)
OneAndOnly 61 (+1)
wizyard 34
RattingRots 31
kwanyeegor-ii 11
marioguy3 9 (+0)
MonoRedMage 7
Surging Chaos 3

netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, CunningGabe

Shimmering Landscape
Land (Rare)
Shimmering Landscape is all land types.
Whenever Shimmering Landscape is tapped for mana, transform it.
"First scene: the most beautiful horizon you've ever seen; lushing with thousands of colors, and suddenly one animal rises above the others..."
- Birgi, God of Storytelling
// DFC //
Shimmering Wanderer
Creature - Shapeshifter (Rare)
Changeling
At the end of your turn, if Shimmering Wanderer attacked this turn, transform it.
"Second scene: 'Where am I?' it asks, and no amount of colors can hide his sadness. Tomorrow, it will try on a new shape, and the cycle will continue."
1/1
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: netn10, CunningGabe

Thirst for Communion 2U
Instant - Arcane (U)
Draw three cards. Then discard two cards unless you discard a Spirit or Arcane card.
Don't beseech lesser kami for knowledge without paying homage to Towazu.
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: Rithaniel, bravelion83

Relish the Spotlight 1
Enchantment (U)
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it gains +2/+0 and menace until end of turn.
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: CunningGabe, netn10

Animal Chaotic Universe
Instant Sorcery (Mythic Rare)
Create a 1/1 white Dog creature token, then shuffle your library three times. For each time you shuffle your library this way, create two 4/3 green Snake creature tokens with flying and double strike.
Until end of turn, basic lands you control become 8/8 blue Leviathan creatures with indestructible and "this creature can't attack unless defending player controls an island. Nonbasic lands can tap for and you lose 3 life for each nonbasic land tapped this way unless you control 3 or more token creatures that are not artifacts nor enchantments.
RattingRots wrote:
1 year ago
Rithaniel, netn10 (although this is pushing it as far as power level goes)

Linked Fate 3U
Instant (U)
Choose target permanent you control and target permanent you don't control. If both permanents share a type, return them both to their owner's hands.
Draw a card
Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: void_nothing, bravelion83

Treacherous Power
Sorcery R
Each player secretly chooses a creature, then those choices are revealed. Put two +1/+1 counters and an indestructible counter on each creature chosen this way. Then, for each chosen creature that an opponent controls, tap that creature and it deals damage equal to its power to its controller.
"I know you better than you know yourself."
—Dark Lord Wikknowo
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: CunningGabe, Rithaniel. See spoiler for more comments about today's cards.
Comments
Show
Hide
Let me start with the cards I ended up voting for.

CunningGabe - Mimic isn't currently a supported creature type, but it's just a matter of adding it to the CR and it's printable as is, it would be very easy to do. It wouldn't require any other major adjustments unlike multiple cards today unfortunately, at least in my opinion. For the record, most Mimics in name are Shapeshifters on the type line, like the cycle from Eventide and more. The ones that are not Shapeshifters are Eldrazi Mimic that is, well, an Eldrazi, but just that, and Mirrorhall Mimic that is a Spirit. Also, Mimic itself turns into just a Shapeshifter when animated.

Rithaniel - The only adjustment here, again in my opinion, would be to just make the card Temur-colored, also a very easy one to do. I honestly can't see this in Grixis colors, mostly because unless I'm missing something, which might very well be the case, I don't see B here. Straight up Temur would also be nice because you could see it as U doing that effect for instants, R for sorceries, and G for creatures.

And now the other ones, in no particular order.

OneAndOnly - I like the design, simple and elegant, but life gain is not a very attractive thing to me on a card like this. Also, and actually most importantly, rarity is missing. It should be known by now that I tend just to not vote for cards with no rarity, and as you posted your card in this thread right as I'm writing these comments, I can tell you that unless you add it later, that will also be the case tomorrow, I'm sorry.

netn10 - I like the idea but you just can't target in a trigger condition, that is a major rules issue. I think that the fact that what that half of the card actually does is just setting up a triggered ability that exists in the game for the rest of the turn doesn't change that. I would have worded that part as "Choose target creature. When that creature dies this turn, (effect)."

void_nothing - Another card that would require major rules adjustments. I don't think that you can reference effects "without a duration" in the rules as they are now, and I also think it would be quite a lot of work to list all the possible templates that would count, which I think would be the way to implement it in the CR. Those mentioned in the reminder text are a good start towards doing that, but I think there are probably more of them, and anyway it would need to be either actual rules text or a new rule in the CR, which again might not be impossible but would be a lot of work and I don't know if it would be actually worth it. It's kinda like last strike, which they don't actually do in black border because it's indeed very intuitive but it would require the rules of the entire combat phase to be rewritten. Also, the batch "Cleric, Warlocks, and planeswalkers" feels a little too disjointed to me.

marioguy3 - Just a Memnite with a bunch of creature types that also feel way too disjointed to me (that's also the reason why I haven't voted for your other animal themed cards that you posted in the last days) and also just don't fit in the type line. I've tried in MSE. The font just becomes almost illegible, it's way longer than The Reality Chip, and Maro has said they already broke internal rules to make that card. If it's too long in English I can only imagine how it would be in other languages with longer words, like German for example.

Yes, I didn't actually like most cards today and I had troubles even picking two to vote for. I'm sorry, but I like to be honest and when I don't like something I usually like to say it (if you excuse the unintended pun), in a polite way of course, but it's no use not to say it. It's not by not saying it that you don't hurt people's feelings, which you never want to do in life in my opinion, it's by saying it in the right way, with tact and respect, without insults, disrespect and such. I hope that I've just managed to do exactly that. If any of you has been hurt by my feedback I'm very sorry, that wasn't the intent. Always remember that, as I like to say, here we judge cards and not people.
Amusing Laughter 2BR
Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, discard a card and pay 2 life.
Draw two cards. Then you may discard a card and pay 2 life. If you do, repeat this process.
"Listen to yourself, to your most inner voice! What does it tell you? Follow it! Act, don't think! The moment you do will be the most fun one in your whole life!"
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: Rithaniel, bravelion83
Lightning // Swipe -- 1R
Instant - Incantation
Augment Incantation (Reveal this card from your hand: Combine it with target Incantation.
Lightning Swipe // deals three damage to any target.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Votes: Rithaniel, RattingRots

Rielle's Looming Blade
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +X/+0, where X is the number of instants and sorcery cards in your graveyard plus one.
Whenever you discard one or more cards, you may unattach Rielle's Looming Blade. If you do, draw that many cards.
Equip
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 1 year ago

netn10, void_nothing

Master Beastrider 3G
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
~ enters the battlefield with a trample counter on it.
Mantle (When this creature dies, you may put its keyword counters on target artifact creature.)
3/3
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

Surging Chaos
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Surging Chaos » 1 year ago

Votes: RattingRots, CunningGabe

Telepathic Torment U
Sorcery (U)
Target player reveals their hand. Surveil 1. If this spell was cast from a graveyard, you then choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.
Flashback BB
Criminal Statue 935-B Subsection 42E
-- Azorius definition of
"Mental Assault"
Last edited by Surging Chaos 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
September 2022 DCC Winner

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Votes: marioguy3, bravelion83

Sticks 1
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Create two colorless Equipment artifact tokens named Stick with "Equipped creature gets +2/+0" and equip 1.
// Fuse //
Stones 1
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Create two colorless Equipment artifact tokens named Stone with "Equipped creature has "T, Sacrifice Stone: This creature deals 2 damage to target creature with flying." and equip 1.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Votes: void_nothing, Rithaniel
HM: netn10, RattingRots

Malicious Pudding 2G
Creature - Ooze
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a Food token.
Sacrifice a Food: Put a +1/+1 counter on Malicious Pudding.
Remove two +1/+1 counters from Malicious Pudding: Create a token that's a copy of Malicious Pudding.
2/2
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
@beavelion83: I take the extreme opposite position of yours: Rarity on fan-created cards is utterly nonsensical. None of the cards posted on this forum are going to be printed in a booster, or any other format, so there's no meaningfulness behind saying "This card is common" or "This card is a rare." Theyre all equally non-rarity. Additionally, you'll find among Wizards' development notes that rarity assignment can change, and quite frequently, between the initial design phase (which is where I imagine most of forum cards are in the process) versus development.

I might bend that a little if we were creating entire sets, but I see so very few fan-created sets that even get close to approximating the development Wizards can give to theirs. Fan-created sets have the additional benefit of being able to step outside of 'normal' set parameters, including set size and rarity -- so even there, it remains pointless to assign rarities.

Judging -- more specifically, penalizing -- cards because of a lack of rarity that cannot be assigned really smacks of looking to find a problem when there isn't one.
Votes: RattingRots, void_nothing
Bury in Rubble -- 1R
Sorcery {U}
Tap target land and put a rubble counter on it. It gains "T: Remove a rubble counter from this land" and "Abilities of this land can't be activated or triggered as long as it has a rubble counter on it."
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Votes: netn10, bravelion83

Flash of Passion
Sorcery R
Untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. That creature gains haste and lifelink. When you lose control of the creature, it loses all abilities.
"A life lived for others might be tiring, but one lived only for yourself is lonely."
—Tunfa, the Sage
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Votes: CunningGabe, Rithaniel

Mark of the Stronghold 1B
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/-1 and has shadow.
R: Enchanted creature gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
Many of the il carried the taint of flowstone unknowingly.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

emily
No TERFs on Gruul Turf
Answers: 1
Pronoun: she / her

Post by emily » 1 year ago

Votes: netn10, RattingRots

Boggart Infiltrator B
Creature — Goblin Rogue (R)
Boggart Infiltrator can't be blocked as long as another Goblin or Rogue is attacking.
When Boggart Infiltrator deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice it. If you do, the next Goblin and/or Rogue spell you cast this turn costs 2 less to cast.
2/1
Spelled with a lowercase "e". Formerly master_of_the_universe on MTGsalvation. Two time DCC champ (06/21, 07/21).

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Votes: void_nothing, CunningGabe

Amphibious Assault 4GU
Sorcery (R)
Convoke
Draw cards equal to the number of creatures that convoked Amphibious Assault, then put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
Creatures you control can't be blocked this turn.
Forecast — 1{G/U}, Reveal Amphibious Assault from your hand: Create a 1/1 green and blue Merfolk creature token. (Activate only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)
Last edited by bravelion83 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

netn10 bravelion83

Blasphemous Mummy 1W
Creature - Zombie (Rare)
Protection from you
At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent gains 1 life and draws a card
5/5
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Votes - CunningGabe, OneAndOnly

Cragganwick Flamebearer 5RR
Creature - Giant Shaman {U}
When Cragganwick Flamebearer enters the battlefield, mill a card, then draw a card. When you do, Cragganwick Flamebearer deals damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the number of cards in your graveyard.
4/4

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”