June MCC, Finals: Decree of the World

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Banner based on Words of Worship, by Rebecca Guay and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
June MCC, Round 4 - Decree of the World

Welcome to the June MCC! It's Words Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a card that can change the text of one or more cards.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is mythic rare
Subchallenge 2: Your card is a legendary enchantment or world enchantment

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Tuesday, July 26th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Thursday, July 28th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: The card can change only its own text and still fit the challenge, but it must be an actual text change, not a mere ability gain or similar.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
Venedrex

Players:
@slimytrout
@kwanyeegor-ii
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Elviarain, the Namer 2WU
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God (M)
Indestructible
Elviarain, the Namer gets +1/+1 for each name among creatures you control.
1: Choose a creature card name. Until end of turn, target nonlegendary creature gains the chosen name.
Second of three, each word she speaks is written on the world.
0/0

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Fivefold Lakes of Dye U
World Enchantment (Mythic)
Whenever a player casts a spell, that player may change the text of that spell by replacing all instances of one color word with another and/or one basic land type with another. If it's a permanent spell, change the text of the permanent it becomes in the same way. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And let us judge!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes huge indestructible beaters. Jxnny's only most-obvious shenanigan is Spy Kit. There's less here for Spike but they still like the potentially large God that's a difficult threat to deal with.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Could raise some questions with less-invested players but otherwise nice.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Yeah, those are the colors I'd put this in, although the effect is quite unique. Mythic is most likely right.
(3/3) Balance - No issues here - strong but needs support.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Definitely innovative in execution, with Spy Kit as the only true precedent, but ultimately the result is often going to be a big indestructible creature.
(3/3) Flavor - Love this. Want to know more about the world this card is from.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looking good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: X/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Almost entirely a Jxnny card. It's not impactful enough for Txmmy OR Spike, but Jxnny is all over wacky things to do with this.
(2/3) Elegance - Text-changing effects are always a bit fiddly, and this card necessarily has to be quite wordy.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Definitely a blue effect, but I feel this'd be better at rare than mythic.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, no issues: a very niche card mostly meant for combos. It's a cheap piece, but abusing it seems difficult, and ultimately this feels like a perfect wacky, fun bulk rare.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of precedent for Magical Hack-alike effects, but never globally like this.
(3/3) Flavor - Name is evocative and I think it works as a world enchantment without flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks alright.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 20.5/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And with that, since my co-judge couldn't do this round due to outside obligations, @slimytrout wins the much-delayed June MCC! Congratulations!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”