Lazav, the Multifarious and Grandeur

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure it works, but I just thought I'd clarify:

If you activate Lazav, the Multifarious to become a copy of a creature in your graveyard with Grandeur like Korlash, Heir to Blackblade, then return the creature in your graveyard to your hand somehow like with Phyrexian Reclamation, can you then discard the creature with Grandeur to Lazav's new Grandeur ability? I think so because of rule 201.4:
201.4 Text that refers to the object it's on by name means just that particular object and not any other objects with that name, regardless of any name changes caused by game effects.
What's tripping me up is the use of "another" in the Grandeur ability itself.

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 2 years ago
That rule doesn't really apply here. The ability looks for a "card named" which means it isn't referring to itself by name. Which means the ability on the field lets you discard Korlash. This would be true even if that ability was on a Necrotic Ooze for example. The name of the object it is on isn't relevant here.

"Another" is just used for clarification to ensure people don't think they can discard the Korlash in their hand to itself while in hand.
Go to full post

WizardMN
Answers: 132
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

That rule doesn't really apply here. The ability looks for a "card named" which means it isn't referring to itself by name. Which means the ability on the field lets you discard Korlash. This would be true even if that ability was on a Necrotic Ooze for example. The name of the object it is on isn't relevant here.

"Another" is just used for clarification to ensure people don't think they can discard the Korlash in their hand to itself while in hand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”