Fhavad's Wake

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

fairly inspired by void_nothing's newsletter about custom goings on, I thought I'd talk about a project of mine...

been working on a small set of my own for ages - Fhavad's Wake, but it stalled for a bunch of different reasons. Making my own clumsy art for everything is slow while ideas come too quickly, and momentum most quickly takes you down well-traveled channels. Am taking a step back to really define my ideas for what I want it to look like:
ptarmico.png
I'm reasonably pleased with all the commons I've designed (in the first link) although I wanna de-emphasize equipment and permanents which know they're enchanted in favour of a more freeform, less linearly-pushed feel. All the "for each other card you've got with the same name" stuff has to go, too; was trying out design which positioned cards as explicitly Not For Commander but there's really no reason for that now I think about it <3 Not trying at all to get inline with modern WOTC design standards but this is for limited, and the set size'll reflect that: a 360-card cube, with four of each common, two of each uncommon and one of each rare. or double the set size for a 720-card cube if I get really inspired!

am designing this primarily in the custom card editor because it lets me think about templating more; one of the things I want to tackle with the new version of this set is entirely custom templating which doesn't waste space with "the battlefield" type things, uses "I" when the card's ability text includes its own name as part of an instruction, etc. I like my cards wordy but frankly my eyes are too bad to look at many more ten-line cards in my lifetime x3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Redesigns and going back to the drawing board are always tough - I look forward to seeing the progress you make with the new version.

"With the same name" mechanics are well and good - and you can't argue they don't appear on modern cards - but imho limiting yourself to relatively few individual cards with that mechanic would be best even just from a Limited/Cube perspective - you want to pick up multiple duplicate cards that all sit in a particular slot after all.

Swirl and harmony look great. Why use the highly similar vanishing and cumulative upkeep, and why be so insistent about not giving general "whenever an Aura ETBs under your control" or "as long as this is enchanted" bonuses? Those types of things seem to be essential to build an entire set around a relatively narrow theme like Auras.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

thanks! i hope i have the energy for it :3
hmm that's a really good point, Vanishing is fairly skippable. re: the other thing, I don't think auras are thaaat narrow and find landfall-ish triggers way too direct for the things I have in mind...
I was looking through old cards and thinking about how slow the game was intended to be, staring at stuff like Dwarven Weaponsmith and Elder Land Wurm and thinking that I'd like to make a set based around that indicated glacial pace, with not much instant feedback! also in the last handful of years the scope of auras has been pared back to the point where it's a pow/tough boost, or a slow aerie-style wild growth, or a pacifism, or a curse... I have auras which grant activated abilities at the forefront of my mind as well as generic Enchant Permanents, Enchant Planeswalker and wanna do oddities like Tourach's Gate!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Set Creation”