Card of the Day 2022-06-02 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Graveyard Trespass {1}{B}
Sorcery (C)
Choose one —
Mourn the Lost — Mill four cards.
Enter the Crypt — Venture into the dungeon.
Face the Dead — You may cast a creature card from your graveyard.
I love this design. It also reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask for a long time. Why it just "venture"? What purpose does "into the dungeon" serve? Like where else would anyone venture?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

The answer is more dungeons similar to Undercity from the initiative. So that venture into the dungeon didn't become "get any effect lmao" over time, it's restricted to those three very "basic D&D" ones. I actually was working on something related myself - may post later.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

A significant consideration for Magic templating is clear and understandable sentence structure, and another is that of narrative immersion. While the templating team values concise writing, it doesn't prioritise it at the expense of these other two goals.

We could also ask why we have "take the initiative", "you become the monarch", "splice onto [quality]", "partner with [name]", etc. Surely there's words we could remove from all of these. But it reduces clarity and the narrative effectiveness of the template.

"Venture into the dungeon" accomplishes all these goals, they can afford the verbiage, and shortening to just "ventures" isn't necessarily preferable. As void_nothing says, we now have venture variants as of Baldur's Gate, and given the set's vicinity to AFR they might have made the decision to use "venture into the dungeon" knowing what would come later.

(I'm reminded of someone I saw on Twitter a few years ago who was convinced Magic cards could all use up less than a third of the words if they just adopted a much more concise regular syntax, and showed mockups of existing cards with their replacement syntax, but it read awfully and would've been much, much less flexible a system. Understanding it would've also taken more reminder text than the system was saving.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”