Achromatic Barrens

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 2 years ago

It seemed like a cooler name than "Colorless Ramp".

Achromatic Barrens
Approximate Total Cost:

This deck's not gone through many changes; most recently, I dropped the number of Kites, Swords, and Compasses to 2 to include a playset of Environmental Sciences and the number of Simulacrums up to 4, I think. I can't say I recall if I altered anything prior to that, but...yeah. It's by far my least-powerful Casual-60 deck, but if I get out a Walker early enough and start pumping up my Barrens, it can be pretty fierce.

That's all I have, as far as Casual-60 stuff goes. If I ever deign to build something new, I'll be sure to post it; that said, I have no intention of building any new decks in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for tuning in for my nonsense, everyone who's been reading along, and sorry it took so long to finish posting everything!
Last edited by Diz 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 1 year ago

fun for the casual table. Could teach simple card interactions to those who are very new to the game.

walking atlas would probably be killed early, but if not killed, it would have great synergy will the "put land into hand" effects.

simulacrum and hart as throw away blockers until the large Walker or manland arrive.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Diz
Griever

Post by Diz » 1 year ago

Yup yup, that's the gameplan! Just spam lands to thin the deck out, buff the Barrens as applicable, and drop as many Walkers as possible.

Diz
Griever

Post by Diz » 1 year ago

I took out a Crawling Barrens and Terrain Generator for 2 Weatherlight Compleated. I have a bunch of weak creatures that are just there to eat attacks when I don't have a boss monster out, and this card benefits from being less selective about my blocking. Also...it's a 2-drop that draws me cards. I see this doing good things for the deck.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Diz wrote:
1 year ago
I took out a Crawling Barrens and Terrain Generator for 2 Weatherlight Compleated. I have a bunch of weak creatures that are just there to eat attacks when I don't have a boss monster out, and this card benefits from being less selective about my blocking. Also...it's a 2-drop that draws me cards. I see this doing good things for the deck.
Do you find Weatherlight turns into a flying beater quickly enough for your taste? How much drawing are you getting out of it? From the moment it was previewed it seemed like a really great, versatile colorless option that could easily close out games fast.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Diz
Griever

Post by Diz » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Diz wrote:
1 year ago
Do you find Weatherlight turns into a flying beater quickly enough for your taste? How much drawing are you getting out of it? From the moment it was previewed it seemed like a really great, versatile colorless option that could easily close out games fast.
I played the deck a few times, yesterday, and had mixed results. You know that feeling when you're playing a deck to test it out, and something just feels off and needs to be smoothed out? That's the feeling I get when I play this deck, and it's slowly gotten better as I make changes to it, but I still get that feeling from it. I struggled a bit with "do I let Burnished Hart eat a chump block and die, or do I use its ability to propel me along?" at a point where I could have easily done either to get a Phyresis counter on Weatherlight Compleated with either option, and I think that might be part of why. That said, I only got the Weatherlight to 7+ counters once in the handful of games I played, but the scry ability was tremendously useful, as was having a 5/5 flying beater. This was absolutely a change worth making, as it's super easy to make the choice to chump block with the weaker creatures in this deck, now (Hart aside).

Diz
Griever

Post by Diz » 1 year ago

I no longer own this deck; I sold it to a friend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”