Dalakos Does Equipment

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 4 years ago

I sure liked my Daxos, I even tried to bring him Baxos. Here's another, Dalakos. Let's do the D with the Greek fishman.
Dank Most

Commander - 1

Enchantments - 2

Sorceries - 3

Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog
Show
Hide
Changes 05/09/22
Show
Hide
Changes 05/09/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/05/22
Show
Hide
Changes 03/03/22
Show
Hide
Changes 01/05/22
Show
Hide
Changes 01/05/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Show
Hide
Changes 12/11/21
Show
Hide
Changes 12/11/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/25/21
Show
Hide
Changes 11/25/21

Out

Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 09/03/21
Show
Hide
Changes 09/03/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/28/21
Show
Hide
Changes 06/28/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/14/21
Show
Hide
Changes 06/14/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/06/21
Show
Hide
Changes 06/06/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 01/11/21
Show
Hide
Changes 01/11/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Show
Hide
Changes 12/01/20
Show
Hide
Changes 12/01/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/12/20
Show
Hide
Changes 11/12/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 10/11/20
Show
Hide
Changes 10/11/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 09/29/20
Show
Hide
Changes 09/29/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 09/24/20
Show
Hide
Changes 09/24/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 07/25/20
Show
Hide
Changes 07/25/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/10/20
Show
Hide
Changes 06/10/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 05/25/20
Show
Hide
Changes 05/25/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 05/23/20
Show
Hide
Changes 05/23/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 05/16/20
Show
Hide
Changes 05/16/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 04/04/20
Show
Hide
Changes 04/04/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/29/20
Show
Hide
Changes 03/29/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/01/20
Show
Hide
Changes 03/01/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 02/22/20
Show
Hide
Changes 02/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 02/15/20
Show
Hide
Changes 02/15/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 02/13/20
Show
Hide
Changes 02/13/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 02/05/20
Show
Hide
Changes 02/05/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 02/05/20
Show
Hide
Changes 02/05/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 02/03/20
Show
Hide
Changes 02/03/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tevesh 2 years ago, edited 61 times in total.

Tevesh

First update:
Tribute Mage didn't have too many exciting targets, maybe as I shape up the deck I might bring her back. Reckless Fireweaver doesn't do much. In their place, I've put in Treasure Nabber who will help with my Artifact shenanigans and Grenzo to cause Goads to make it easier to get in later or Exile for draw.

Goblinslide was lacklustre, so I put in Fabricate to find what I need right now.

I liked Foil for its alternative cost but that was too costly. I've put in Mask of Memory for more draw.

Curse of Opulence, Dowsing Dagger, Prying Blade and Storm the Vault are all in there for mana generation tied into turning equipped Creatures sideways. I cut the less sexy Everflowing Chalice, Izzet Signet, Victory Chimes and Dreamstone Hedron in their place.

Soldevi Excavations and Castle Vantress are low opportunity cost ways of adding card draw.

After double checking, I realized I was four cards over. With that, I axed an Island and Mountain, Gilded Lotus and Bident of Thassa.

OCPunisher
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OCPunisher » 4 years ago

I've done a little testing with Dalakos, and Mask of Memory was a huge hit. The casting and equip costs are both very low, and seeing that many cards per combat is incredibly powerful.

Curse of Opulence was not initially on my radar, but it looks like it might be a solid fit here. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out for you.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

Tevesh

OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
I've done a little testing with Dalakos, and Mask of Memory was a huge hit. The casting and equip costs are both very low, and seeing that many cards per combat is incredibly powerful.

Curse of Opulence was not initially on my radar, but it looks like it might be a solid fit here. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out for you.
Yeah, I'm quite surprised by how much concentrated hate the Mask brings.

If you're not playing Curse, you've got to change that. It's so good my playgroup has ended up giving it the pseudo-nickname of "Red Sol Ring". It can be that powerful, especially if you put it on a target another aggro deck will want to turn sideways at. I've put it in every deck that likes to turn Creatures sideways and that runs Red. Hell, I should probably buy more so I don't need to buy it before it gets even more expensive!

Anyways, after a night of testing:
All of the Creatures cut were lacklustre in some fashion. Well, maybe not Myr Battlesphere but it is hard to swallow that 7 CMC cost. I put in Goblin Engineer and Welder for recursion trickery, especially since I'm going more all-in on the Treasure theme. Sacrificing a Treasure for any powerhouse Artifact in the yard feelsgoodman. Sai is another way to feed these goblins fodder, Sac Artifacts by himself to draw or just equip up my newly made Thopters.

I knew I was going to cut another one of the Artifact fetch Mages. Between 1 CMC and 3, I lean that 1 CMC allows for more abusive shenanigans. This is why I cut the Trophy Mage over Trinket Mage. Trinket fetches me Sol Ring and Skullclamp which are two absolutely absurd Artifacts. If I'm ahead on cards and Ramp, then I can fetch Bloodforged Battle-Axe to start giving my entire team flying. The axe's cloning of itself will be handy to all sorts of cards that cause me to Sacrifice Artifacts to get the goodies; such as the Goblins mentioned above but also Trading Post or help trigger Seize the Vault's flip clause.

Jhoira's Familiar is for cost reduction and I severely underestimated how much work this bird does! Reducing my Legends on top of Artifacts is big, especially since I can usually cast Dalakos, toss Equipment on him to give him Haste, he nets me mana I can spend on other things. Jhoira herself is just there for all of those free cantrips. I am astonished at how expensive Vedalken Archmage is; it feels like it was less than a dollar a year or so ago. Niv-Mizzet is another draw engine and is on several lawyers of absurd. I can't wait until I Infect a player to death with Grafted Exoskeleton.

I noticed that people messing with my Combat Step hurt. In comes the Conqueror's Flail technology to put a stop to that. Captain's Claws looked inadequate in comparison, especially now that I have Sai to make me Thopters. I'm also feeling OK with cutting Talisman of Creativity for Inspiring Statuary. It and Jhoira's Familiar is tons of cost cheating which is something everybody likes.

Swan Song is a real feelsbad when my whole shtick is making Flying Creatures. Spell Swindle, Expansion & Explosion and Reverberate were too costly for a variety of reasons. I've put in cheap interaction in the form of Pongify, Force, Disallow and Arcane Denial.

Well, it seems I like the deck, so I've put in a few mana fixing options to improve its colour. I also included Field for its untapped Zombies that I can just toss a blade on and they go get me that value. This is why I replaced a bunch of Basics for Snow-Covered versions; more names to satisfy the Field's requirement.

OCPunisher

Good call on Field of the Dead. It's basically free value bodies just by including a few snow basics. I love it so much that I've even put it in a few mono-colored decks.

You make a great point about Conqueror's Flail, and it's cheap enough to cast/equip. I'll put it in my list as soon as I track down a copy.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

Tevesh

A bunch of obvious:
Changes 02/03/20
Approximate Total Cost:

As I dissembled my Kenrith, the Returned King I came across two cards that would slot right in here. Dockside Extortionist is absolutely absurd, low to the ground, ramps and carries all of that gear. Rocks have been a little lacklustre so I cut the Dynamo for him simply because it is the most expensive Rock to cast.

Search for Azcanta was another obvious one, especially since it transforms to improve my odds of hitting with Field of the Dead. The milling works great with Goblin Welder, Goblin Engineer, Emry, Lurker of the Loch and Trading Post. Once Search flips, I have a way to dig deep with any excess mana. I tried to find a weak source of draw but I couldn't settle on one particular choice, so because Search flips I looked at Ramp too. Bauble is the worst out of the remaining options. The other rocks can get up to shenanigans by being Welded back into play, tapped for mana and next turn tapped for mana, swapping for something else. Bauble reduces the amount of Artifacts I can play around with.

Perhaps I should've cut a Mountain over an Island but I have so much more; and Island was chosen over Snow because there's more non-Snow than Snow to even up the odds for Field. Desolate Lighthouse felt like a 'Duh' moment when I stumbled across it in [mention]OCPunisher[/mention]'s thread, especially with the amount of shenanigans all of my Goblins and Merfolk get up to. Better the Lighthouse than Geier Reach Sanitarium but that's mostly reserved for non-Green/Blue/Black decks.

Tevesh

A bit more polish:
Changes 02/05/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Herald of Kozilek is another colourless source reducer and as a body he can carry all this gear. His four toughness will be pretty nice. Commander's Sphere was the closest analog so that's what I went with.

I kind of have been cooling on all of the mages. I decided to put in Metalwork Colossus because it'll probably be cast for free or close to. 10 flying power isn't nothing to scoff at; especially if equipped with some dangerous pieces like one-shotting players with Grafted Exoskeleton. This is a dangerous piece that's just going to keep coming back. I can also use his Sacrifice clause, hold priority and keep using it if I have a bunch of tokens to trigger a Vicious Shadows.

I earmarked the Mind Stone for a cut for Soul-Guide Lantern. I think the Lantern's hate is more helpful than the one point of mana the stone provides. They do both draw, but if I'm just trying to cycle cards back and forth for draw, the Soul-Guide has a bit more oomph with its Exile ETB.

I really want to love Storm the Vault but it has a lot of hoops to jump through and I'm not sure this deck can really pay off a Tolarian Academy. Sure, lots of mana is nice but it isn't like I'm sinking that into a huge devastating Artifact or X spell. Maybe a mistake but I'm not too sure. In its place I've put Gamble because they were on sale at my LGS and I do like the ability to tutor anything up. If it's an Artifact, I have a pretty good odds at bringing it back if it does accidentally gets pitched.

Castle Embereth gives me more punch and hopefully will come into play untapped. I cut a Snow-Mountain over non-Snow to even up the odds for Field of the Dead.

Tevesh

Another tweak:
Changes 02/05/20
Approximate Total Cost:

While Mirromade has a high ceiling, I rather go with something that could be far more interesting. Charmbreaker Devils will let me recur my Instants and Sorceries; considering I have very few, this means that I'll constantly be getting back the same random ones.

Tezzeret's +0 is bonkers, plus he can make Thopters if need be. That makes him better than the Thopter Spy Network, even if he costs one more.

I prefer to protect my face and board with Lazotep Plating than blow up some random Creature.

Tevesh

Guesswork and disappointments:
Changes 02/13/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Cutting Fabricate means there's a handful of Artifacts I can't search for but I am willing to bet that the Quartermaster's body more than makes up for it. I do need bodies to wield all of these Swords.

Quietus Spike is OK but it is damned costly and underwhelming when placed beside Scytheclaw who makes a body that gets in immediately for doing halfsies. With that in mind, it came to my attention that I do not have a generic Bounce spell and Capsize came to mind immediately. There have been times when an annoying permanent was giving me a headache, whether it is a Solitary Confinement, Maze of Ith, Phyrexian Unlife+Solemnity and a whole bunch of others. I am sad to see a piece of Equipment go but I am thinking that Capsize's flexibility will be well worth it.

I am contemplating of using Cephalid Constable as this deck would pump his Power up and having it above 1 is actually disgusting as I learned from my Marchesa, the Black Rose deck. But I am also contemplating the plethora of Equip cost reducers that @darrenhabib mentioned in @OCPunisher's Dalakos thread. The issue is I don't know what to cut.

OCPunisher

Tevesh wrote:
4 years ago
The issue is I don't know what to cut.
This is probably my favorite part of the process, mostly because it's the hardest thing to do to one's own deck, so you almost have to get someone else to give you perspective. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, so it's always good to lend a hand. Here goes:
- Scytheclaw: Starting off by cutting an equipment in an equipment-based deck, when there aren't too many equipments in the overall list? Yeah, but this one feels like it needs a bit more work than most. Might be off-base here, but this just doesn't feel like a thing I'd want to spend five mana on, even if I knew Dalakos would be there to give it evasion.
- Loxodon Warhammer: I wanted to suit something up with the super elephant hammer for so long, but that equip cost was always the sore thumb that stuck out too far for it to make the cut. Then they printed Shadowspear and it was all over (the Spear is for real, btw).
- Charmbreaker Devils: I cut this from my spellslinger decks because it's six mana and you have to untap with it before it does anything. This isn't even a spellslinger deck.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: A much stronger card in general than Charmbreaker, but also harder to cast, and still not even close to on-theme.
- Nezahal, Primal Tide: Another strong card, but expensive and doesn't do anything with the theme of the deck. Nez even drops his equipment with his activated ability.
- Reforge the Soul: You're playing blue, so you have access to nearly unlimited options for drawing cards. In particular, this deck would probably rather have Thirst for Knowledge, Sword of Fire and Ice, or Padeem, Consul of Innovation.
- Search for Azcanta: Yet another generally good card, but not exactly on-theme.
- Aetherize: Too narrow...what if you want to remove the non-attacking creatures?
- Capsize: This belongs in a deck that can make a lot of mana. You have 37 lands, and almost no mana ramp. Dalakos doesn't count for this case.
- Wild Ricochet: Another card I really like in a vacuum, but it's four mana for a non-permanent that doesn't exactly jive with Dalakos.
- Force of Will: I can't imagine that your meta is cutthroat enough to want this and still allow you to play a commander like Dalakos.

Hope that helps you!

Tevesh

Thanks for the help!

I really like Scytheclaw, as it flies in and immediately scores me a hit that halves people's life totals. I am also a fan of Loxodon Warhammer and yeah, the Equip cost is a sticking point, but I'm waiting for Shadowspear to drop in price. I don't think it's worth whatever it's at now, especially since it's just a polished up Elephant Hammer.

Charmbreaker Devils is mostly meme but you're probably right. Niv-Mizzet, Parun and Nezahal, Primal Tide are just draw sources that also end games. Ditto for Search for Azcanta, especially since my 'yard fills up fast and Emry, Lurker of the Loch likes a big yard.

Pointing out Reforge the Soul makes sense, I should really get Padeem, Consul of Innovation to protect my Equipment, be a body to carry all of this gear and probably draw me cards, especially if I'm pooping out Metalwork Colossus.

I'm fine with all of my Instants. Force is in because I don't have another deck that can use it and why not use it if I do? Thanks for the insight.

I'm also upgraded Dalakos from Casual to Mid-Tier because I'm surprised at how high it punches above its' weight.

Tevesh

Inspiration and sales:
Changes 02/15/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I thought of Padeem, Consult of Innovation but then I stumbled across Shimmer Dragon. While it sucks that Dalakos' ability will only be giving the Dragon half of a boost with Haste, I think I'll live with all of the upsides. A draw engine on legs that can carry the Equipment, has Hexproof which I know gives people fits when they can't target and it's a sizable body on offence or defence.

I got a really reduced Academy Ruins so I jumped at the chance. Mystic Sanctuary gives me a little more recursion without too much of an opportunity cost and it is more names for my Field of the Dead.

Tevesh

Trying out tempo:
Changes 02/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

This deck is a pseudo-tempo midrange deck. So, while I like the low Equip on the Explorer's Scope, it really isn't giving me a reliably Ramp effect. The Ronin Warclub will by virtue of giving my Creatures Haste as they come in, especially if I'm recasting Dalakos. At least, that's the theory.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

I love Ronin Warclub + Dalakos! I haven't built a list around equipment fish yet, but this was one of the first interactions I thought of!

I didn't have time to look through the whole thread to see as I have to get ready for work here momentarily, but have you considered Kazuul's Toll Collector and Valduk, Keeper of the Flame?
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Tevesh

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
I love Ronin Warclub + Dalakos! I haven't built a list around equipment fish yet, but this was one of the first interactions I thought of!

I didn't have time to look through the whole thread to see as I have to get ready for work here momentarily, but have you considered Kazuul's Toll Collector and Valduk, Keeper of the Flame?
Yeah, I saw you champion the Warclub in @OCPunisher's decklist and it is what made me want to try it out.

I don't think Kazuul's Toll Collector does enough for the deck. Free Equips are sweet but what else does he justify with his body? I have thought of Valduk if only to generate Skullclamp fodder and some extra bodies that might trigger Vicious Shadows. Right now, it's more of a case of figuring out the hell I could cut for him.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

You're right that the body isn't anything special, but a free equip of a SoFaF or loxodon warhammer + fireshrieker or any number of other combinations could do some serious work from out of nowhere with the flying and haste.

On a separate note, are you running any sort of protection from Vandalblast/rebuild and the like?
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

shandiris

Post by shandiris » 4 years ago

Cool deck!
From my own experiences with equipment decks, I feel you're playing a tad too many. Even with partners I often end up in a situation of not enough creatures but multiple equipments on the table. So I personally would play more creatures that tutor for equipment. Especially given the fact your power level in terms of equipment vary wildly. Sword of Feast and Famine and Batterskull are of a different category than Prying Blade and Ronin Warclub.
Gamble Charmbreaker Devils and Niv-Mizzet Parun also seems somewhat weird includes.
Have you tried Kazuul's Toll Collector and Sword of the Animist? They're both performing very well in my own equipment list: https://archidekt.com/decks/265497#Migh ... _18-2-2020

Tevesh

shandiris wrote:
4 years ago
Cool deck!
From my own experiences with equipment decks, I feel you're playing a tad too many. Even with partners I often end up in a situation of not enough creatures but multiple equipments on the table. So I personally would play more creatures that tutor for equipment. Especially given the fact your power level in terms of equipment vary wildly. Sword of Feast and Famine and Batterskull are of a different category than Prying Blade and Ronin Warclub.
Gamble Charmbreaker Devils and Niv-Mizzet Parun also seems somewhat weird includes.
Have you tried Kazuul's Toll Collector and Sword of the Animist? They're both performing very well in my own equipment list: https://archidekt.com/decks/265497#Migh ... _18-2-2020
Thanks!

I haven't had problems with bodies-to-swords ratios. I generate a bunch of tokens, gear them up and get in there with Flying. You're right about the power level of gear being wildly different; I decided to axe Prying Blade. The Ronin Warclub is there for tempo reasons, as when I recast Dalakos I'll immediately be able to use his 2 mana. Same reason why you've suggested Kazuul's Toll Collector. Though I've recently stumbled across Sai of the Shinobi and Stormrider Rig which I think I prefer. Sure, I lose out on a point of Power but both cards have cheaper mana and Equip costs.

Gamble tutors for anything, not sure how that's weird. Niv-Mizzet is a great draw engine. You're right about the Charmbreakers, they also get axed this update.

I already have Anime Sword in the list. Hell, it usually starts in my draft of the 99 unless I know I'm going hardcore control with no real desire to turn sideways.

As for what I've replaced the Devils and Blade with:
Changes 03/01/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I'm trying Neheb for the filtering and mana; his Trample will also help get me in with cards that have Saboteur triggers. I'm using him over Padeem, Consul of Innovation because I already have a copy of Neheb. Charmbreakers were too top heavy for the curse and didn't actually do that much.

Prying Blade was OK. I've decided to add the Swiss Army Knife of the game in the form of the Jitte. It kills utility Creatures, gains me life, pumps my Creatures and makes fries to boot.

Tevesh

Nothing to exciting, basic land swaps:
Changes 03/29/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I've been colour screwed a few times playing this, so I decided to up my Mountains. Snow Island had more than Island so that's that cut; out of my Nonbasics I think that the Desolate Lighthouse is the least impressive. I might even up my Basic count even more, there's been a little tomfoolery with Nonbasics as of late.

Tevesh

I made a change to my paper copy that I forgot to update here:
Changes 04/04/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Sai goes in as a lowered curve piece of Equipment that does the same job as the Warclub.

Tevesh

Mana-fixing:
Changes 05/16/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Sanctuary was a touch too difficult to get value off of and I rather engineer against my greed. I've got enough Blue sources but not many of them are actually Islands, so I'd be sitting there greedily trying to get an extra bit of value. That would hamper me in some ways. So, while I'm making my Field of the Dead count weaker, I think I'm overall shoring up my deck's manabase.

Tevesh

Dissatisfaction out, experiments in:
Changes 05/23/20
Approximate Total Cost:

With how the deck operates, I don't really care that much about Imprisoned in the Moon. Planeswalkers I can reach with my Fliers, my options are diffuse enough that I don't care about Lands and a sole Creature needs to punch in. In its stead comes Stormtide Leviathan, I need more options to just end the game or make myself safe. There's enough ground based beaters that go wide that I like Leviathan's Islandwalk or Flying stipulation. With Dalakos making my team Fly, I don't really suffer from the Leviathan and it's a way to stop worrying about Goad for my more utility based Creatures. Leviathan is has the magic 8 Power to become instantly lethal with Grafted Exoskeleton.

I also don't care that much about Graveyard strategies. I put in the Lantern in because it is more flexible than Tormod's Crypt. It has been lacklustre since. My main problem is getting enough card draw to answer all of the problems once I get into head's up. Bident will help with that, as suddenly all of my pokes get me more cards to get exactly what I need. Discarding down isn't really a problem with Goblin Welder, Goblin Engineer and Emry, Lurker of the Loch getting Artifacts out of my yard, including the Bident. Bident also helps reduce the cost of Metalwork Colossus who can then also help put all of these Artifacts into the Graveyard. Who knows, I might even use the forced attack to cause shenanigans.

Tevesh

Buckled and bought a Shadowspear:
Changes 05/25/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I was hoping for the price to drop because I just see it as a better Loxodon Warhammer and Schlonghammer isn't the most expensive piece of Equipment ever. Unfortunately, it seems to have stabilized at just expensive enough that it smarts to buy. I think I'm going to miss the extra Power the Donghammer brings, but I'm hoping the extra toughness combined with the Shadowspear's Activated Ability and lowered cost will more than make up for it. Considering how many random Gods run around willy-nilly, I think that's the case. I can also see doing some Germ juggling shenanigans. Lastly, Shadowspear's Equip cost is also that Magic number of Dalakos' Activated Ability cost.

Tevesh

Bodies, Ramp and Draw in a Can:
Changes 06/10/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I think Ugin is going to be a huge help for this deck for all of the reasons mentioned above, plus he can Destroy Coloured Permanents. Force of Will comes out strictly because I'm toying with rebuilding my Vial Smasher the Fierce and Kraum, Ludevic's Opus deck where Free Spells are the %$#%.

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 3 years ago

Spoils of survival:
Changes 07/25/20
Approximate Total Cost:

With Ikra-Tymna dissolved, I decided to move my Ancient Tomb over. At first I thought to remove Temple of the False God but then I saw Soldevi Excavations and remembered how it would sometimes stall in my hand. Oh, I would have Blue sources but they weren't Islands. With that reminder, I axed this fake Ramp Land for a real one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”