[CLB] Ancient Metallic Dragon cycle speculation

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

So with a few cards now known from the upcoming Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate D&D crossover/draftable/EDH set (phew that's a lot of gimmicks), one that stands out is Ancient Brass Dragon. Besides being the first-ever nonlegendary Elder(!), this card implies a cycle.

Since White Dragon, Blue Dragon, Black Dragon, Red Dragon, and Green Dragon - i.e. the basic Chromatic Dragons - were in Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, it was only natural that their good counterparts, the only lightly more obscure Metallic ones, would show up now.

ABD's marquee ability isn't based on its breath weapon this time; the whole "everyone comes back from the dead" bit seems like a reference to brass dragons' love of company and talking. So, combined with the needs of a Commander set, it seems like the abilities will be a bit more conceptual this time.

Still, we can hopefully expect Ancient Bronze Dragon, Ancient Copper Dragon, Ancient Gold Dragon, and Ancient Silver Dragon in the set. Adult Gold Dragon is RW, so Ancient Gold is more than likely one of those colors (presumably white). I would say Bronze is red, Copper is green, and Silver is blue.

Finally, although Grand Master of Flowers, one of Bahamut's human avatars, showed up in AFR, maybe Baha might get a legendary creature card as, well, himself!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Finally, although Grand Master of Flowers, one of Bahamut's human avatars, showed up in AFR, maybe Baha might get a legendary creature card as, well, himself!
As a dragon! AS A DRAGON!

DRAGON I TELL YOU!

It would be hilarious/awesome to see him depicted as a combination of a classic Gold Dragon and a Bolas/Ugin styled MTG Elder dragon. It might actually invoke a bit of the Final Fantasy Bahamut as well.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 2 years ago

My deck is mono black Dungeons & Dragons, so I'm not only looking forward to this whole set, but I need this card. Venture, rolling d# dice and Warlocks are the principle D&D mechanics, but because I only had one set to work with and opted for mono color, I was forced into multiple thematic sub mechanics like treasure, food and clues from other sets. The goal is to be pure D&D eventually. Lollth willing, I might be set after this.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

So this is panning out - I'm just not quite getting the colors right. ;)

I was surprised to see the Gem Dragons appear though!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Now, presumably the White dragon will make X 1/1 tokens or gain X life. (Hopefully tokens) What is the green dragon's effect going to be? The other one of these effects, or something completely different?
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Now, presumably the White dragon will make X 1/1 tokens or gain X life. (Hopefully tokens) What is the green dragon's effect going to be? The other one of these effects, or something completely different?
My guesses are honestly that white will be "exile any number of target nonland (and nontoken?) permanents with total CMC X or less" and green will be some kind of Genesis Wave thing.

Venedrex

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
My guesses are honestly that white will be "exile any number of target nonland (and nontoken?) permanents with total CMC X or less" and green will be some kind of Genesis Wave thing.
Yeah that would be pretty cool. Now I'm quite curious to see what they end up as.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Oh hey, and there's Earthquake Dragon - this might be a one-off, or we might be getting the Catastrophic Dragons. TBH I'd expect that even less than the Gem Dragons...

Venedrex

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Oh hey, and there's Earthquake Dragon - this might be a one-off, or we might be getting the Catastrophic Dragons. TBH I'd expect that even less than the Gem Dragons...
Oh boy, just looked up Catastrophic dragons, now I really hope this is a cycle. It would also make sense because there seem to be five of them, and since one of them is Volcanic Dragon, it would explain why this one was green instead of red. Of course, I guess they might have to call it Volcano Dragon or something since Volcanic Dragon exists already.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Oh boi, just looked up Cata dragons, now I really hope this is a cycle. It would also make sense because there seem to be five of them, and since one of them is Volcanic Dragon, it would explain why this one was green instead of red. Of course, I guess they might have to call it Volcano Dragon or something since Volcanic Dragon exists already.
Volcanic Dragon being, yes, already a thing, if there's a cycle I could see W getting Tornado. U getting Blizzard, and B getting Typhoon, leaving R with Wildfire and leaving out Avalanche altogether.

Amazingly, even if they all did appear at once (and not spaced out) this would still altogether fail to blow out the potential for horizontal cycles of Dragons in D&D crossover releases, as the Lung, Ferrous, and "Rare" Chromatic and Metallic Dragons remain untouched.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And with Oceanus Dragon we've reached Planar Dragons. When is Peak Dragon Saturation?

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 1 year ago

What gets me most excited about this set is that there is a new legendary dragon tribal commander. My The Ur-Dragon [/card] deck is the oldest Commander deck that I possess. Nearly every set there's some cool new card for it that I want to test. It was getting unbearable to choose between so many different options for the deck. Now, I get to split the cards between the Ur-Dragon and Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm, with the first focused on attacking and combat and the second focused on getting large numbers of dragons in the field. Including all the dragon cycles from this set. A dream come true for a dragon lover :love:

Venedrex

OK, I'm pretty annoyed right now. There are four previews left, which technically means we could still see a full cycle of cataclysmic dragons, but at this point I doubt it because that would be too fun and logical. But until one of the four remaining people drops their card, here I am vainly clinging to the hope that we get 4 awesome rare dragons. The biggest issue with not finishing the cycle here to me is, where else are you going to print the other 4 dragons in the cycle? CLBG3: Dead Reckoning? I mean c'mon. :rofl:

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I assume we'll get DND crossover every year now.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
I assume we'll get DND crossover every year now.
D&D, not DND. Sorry.

But I will say, we also got gem dragons. And OP forgot Ancient Brass Dragon. (Still surprised TSR went with two copper alloys instead of filling out the rest of the major alchemic metals: Iron, lead, tin, and mercury. Okay, Quicksilver Dragon already exists in Magic, but still...)

I do kind of like Ancient Gold Dragon with Purphoros, God of the Forge. On a natural 20, win the game.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Speculation”