Urza, Lord Artificer 3rd ability

gizmo189588
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by gizmo189588 » 2 years ago

My understanding is while activating the 3rd ability (5 colorless can play top card of your deck without cost) on other people's turn you can only play instants unless you have a way to give spells flash. No lands can be played on other people's turns.

Am I correct about this?

Accepted Answer

by Mookie » 2 years ago
Yes, this is correct. Urza, Lord High Artificer only allows you to play the exiled card until end of turn - beyond that, you must obey timing restrictions as normal, meaning you can't play lands or cast non-instants without flash.
Go to full post

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Yes, this is correct. Urza, Lord High Artificer only allows you to play the exiled card until end of turn - beyond that, you must obey timing restrictions as normal, meaning you can't play lands or cast non-instants without flash.

gizmo189588

Thank you appreciate the help!
I'm new to commander and ran up against this my 2nd game ever, I knew Urza was brutal but something didn't seem right when he was throwing out lands and creatures on other people's turns.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

gizmo189588 wrote:
2 years ago
Thank you appreciate the help!
I'm new to commander and ran up against this my 2nd game ever, I knew Urza was brutal but something didn't seem right when he was throwing out lands and creatures on other people's turns.
Ha, indeed. The full ruling, in case you're curious:
Gatherer Ruling wrote: Urza's last ability doesn't change when you can play the exiled card. For example, if you exile a sorcery card, you can cast it only during your main phase when the stack is empty. If you exile a land card, you can play it only during your main phase and only if you have an available land play remaining.
I'll call out that there are cards - like Etali, Primal Storm - that ignore timing restrictions. You can tell the difference based on whether it says 'you may play until end of turn' vs 'you may play'.

gizmo189588

Even better! Thank you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”