SNC mechanics speculation

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

After the limited spoilers, I figure we have the bare minimum of information to start speculating on mechanics. As this is still basically guesswork, custom card creation seemed more appropriate than the spoilers channels.

My guesses so far:

Obscura: Investigate

Maestros: Bounty counters. Call a Hit (If your opponents control no permanents with bounty counters on them, put a bounty counter on target permanent an opponent controls).

Example:
Maestro Necromancer 2BB
Creature-Vampire Warlock U
When Maestro Necromancer enters the battlefield, Call a Hit (If your opponents control no permanents with bounty counters on them, put a bounty counter on target permanent an opponent controls).
Whenever a permanent an opponent controls with a bounty counter on is put into a graveyard, create a 2/2 black zombie token.
2/4

Riveteers: Gear tokens. Create a colorless Gear artifact token with "1 , T, sacrifice this artifact: target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Activate this ability only as a sorcery".

Bludgeon Elemental 3RR
Creature-Elemental Warrior U
When Bludgeon Elemental dies, create X Gear tokens with "1 , T, sacrifice this artifact: target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Activate this ability only as a sorcery", where X is Bludgeon Elemental's power.
4/4

Cabaretti: Cosmopolitan-If there are three or more colors among permanents you control, EFFECT

Cabaretti Bouncer 1G
Creature-Human Soldier C
Cosmopolitan-If there are three or more colors among permanents you control, Cabaretti Bouncer gets +2/+1
2/1

Brokers: Loophole (If you cast this spell for its Loophole cost, put a Loophole counter on it and replace all instances of "player" with "opponent")

Red Tape 1W
Enchantment R
Players can't draw more than one card each turn.
Loophole 2WW (If you cast this spell for its Loophole cost, put a Loophole counter on it and replace all instances of "player" with "opponent")

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Maybe we will see Extort mechanic back, it fills the theme I guees

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 2 years ago

Cosmopolitan would be repeating the radiance mistake of putting a "multicolor matters" mechanic in one of multiple multicolor factions. As all factions have three colors this mechanic feels like it should be available to all of them (or none).

I would love for a faction that uses investigate/Clues themed as science/progress, but I'd be surprised seeing it here.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Doesn't Brokers Ascendancy suggest the Brokers faction's main focus is +1/+1 counters?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Investigate for Obscura - This would be quite flavorfully fitting, but it'd be unusual to have a returning mechanic as a faction mechanic. Could happen, though.

Bounty counters for Maestros - Sure - feels a bit parasitic but there have been plenty of A/B style faction mechanics before.

Gears for Riveteers - While this faction most likely has an artifact theme of some kind, I don't think WotC would mix multiple types of pop-'em predefined artifacts outside of Modern Horizons or a Commander deck. Also, with sorcery speed and requiring a mana payment, this is on the surface the weakest ability here.

Cosmopolitan for Cabaretti - Ditto what SI said. This would work as an overall mechanic not tied to a faction though.

Loophole for Brokers - This looks really cool. The design space is not necessarily that big but it's enough for one faction in a one-off context. Could go on either creatures or enchantments I'm sure.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”