Commander Draft Cube

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

So, I recently managed to get together with my old playgroup and drafted the box of Commander Legends I bought way back when it came out.
(Wish it had been sooner, there was a foil Hullbreacher in it, oh well.)

I really like the format, and wanted to put together a cube to mimic the structure of Commander Legends draft. But I'm not sure where to begin. Since the decks and packs are much larger than normal draft play, a normal cube guideline wouldn't apply, I think. And the only guides or examples I've seen of Commander Cubes use a different draft method, with picking commanders from a draft pool first, then drafting the rest of the cards. But I like the idea of hitting a good commander in a later pack and pivoting into it, especially with lots of partners, where you could swing from a lackluster pair into a better one if you find a partner in pack 2 or 3.

So, I'm here looking for any tips from the community!
I've got a lot of the partners from Legends, and also the original partners, plus I was looking at the "Partner with" options, and considering errata-ing them to just "Partner" for the purpose of the cube, and also potentially the "Friends Forever" too.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

Here's the first basis:
I'll be putting together a balanced cube not including any of the legends. And a separate sheaf of all the legends. Each player will receive three 18 card packs, and then two legends will be dealt randomly to each one just before drafting, thus the packs will be structured like the ones from the Commander Legends set, and since there are zero legendary creatures in the primary card pool it will be simplistic to re-separate them after the game.

That means I'm looking at a minimum of 480 cards, a minimum of 48 of which are commanders, if I want to have enough for an 8-person pod. I'll probably overshoot on the commanders, so there will always be some extras that do not appear in each draft of the cube., and also because 50 is a much nicer number for the 5-way even split. Currently thinking 4 partners for each mono-color, 1 partner for each color pair, and 1 non-partner for each pair and trio. Though, as long as I keep it even, and don't lean to far away from the partners, I don't see why that number couldn't go up. 51 would give me a spot for a 5-color wildcard commander.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Cube”