Hello All

Androk
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Androk » 2 years ago

I've just joined and wanted to introduce myself, I hope this is the right place.

I recently stumbled upon this community, and I've actually been looking for something like this for quite some time. As an "elder millennial", message boards are my preferred way to discuss my interests. I prefer smaller communities where discussion doesn't move too fast and I can get to know other members over time.

So...Magic. I started playing in 6th grade, the first cards I bought were a Revised Starter deck. I remember opening an Underground Seas and a Fork, of course, all my cards from back then are long gone. My friends stopped playing between 10th and 11th grade, Mercadian Masques I believe was the latest set at the time, so I sold most of my cards and stopped playing as well. That lead to a 15 year break from the game until I moved into an apartment with a couple roommates who both played, and they got me back into it during original Theros block. I've been playing ever since.

As for formats I play, first and foremost I would consider myself a limited player. I have qualified for about half a dozen Mythic Qualifiers on Arena for my limited play...of course, I don't tend to do well in the Qualifiers as the only constructed I play on Arena is the 1-2 nights I'll spend practicing for a Qualifier.

Beyond limited, the next format I play the most is Pioneer. My LGS used to run Standard on Thursday nights, but switched to Pioneer when the format was created. I've really been enjoying the format...there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest for it here, but perhaps if I start creating some threads it will stir up a little discussion.

I am relatively new to Commander. I only started building decks during the beginning of the pandemic when I was home from work and had a lot of free time. Basically, at this point, I've built more decks than I've played actual games...but I look forward to participating in more Commander going forward. Some of my decks include Chatterfang, Nekusar, Tevesh Szat/Sakashima of a Thousand Faces, and Rienne, Angel of Rebirth.

Lastly, I have recently completed my most major undertaking, a functional Vintage Cube. It has about 40 proxies for the uber expensive stuff, but the rest of the cards are real. While I don't play MTGO, Vintage Cube is my favorite content to watch on YouTube, so I've spent about the last half a year putting one together. The next step is finding 7 other people to play it, hopefully I can get that together in the next few weeks!

I think that about sums it up as far as myself as a Magic player. I 100% prefer paper magic to online, other than cramming drafts on Arena. I look forward to joining the discussion here on this forum!

WizardMN
Answers: 128
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

Welcome! I think you have come to a good place, especially for Commander discussions. I know you said you are still new to it so I can understand where that won't be your primary focus regarding Magic but if you ever want advice on decks or just a general discussion on your decks, feel free to create threads about them or find threads from others and engage there. Your decks do sound pretty interesting (except maybe Nekusar :P ). Though, you are bound to find some people who like Nekusar as much as you do.

I don't think the discussions on the rest are quite as high as Commander though so don't be too surprised if you don't see much around those. The New Card discussion is always good though for a lot of different thoughts on newer cards.

Androk
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Androk » 2 years ago

WizardMN wrote:
2 years ago
Welcome! I think you have come to a good place, especially for Commander discussions. I know you said you are still new to it so I can understand where that won't be your primary focus regarding Magic but if you ever want advice on decks or just a general discussion on your decks, feel free to create threads about them or find threads from others and engage there. Your decks do sound pretty interesting (except maybe Nekusar :P ). Though, you are bound to find some people who like Nekusar as much as you do.

I don't think the discussions on the rest are quite as high as Commander though so don't be too surprised if you don't see much around those. The New Card discussion is always good though for a lot of different thoughts on newer cards.
Haha, well Nekusar was one of the decks I built before I actually played a real game, but I understand why it might not be everyone's favorite now that I've played the format a bit.

Perhaps I will discuss my other decks a little bit...Nekusar is really the only deck that I've used online resources to help me build, the rest I prefer to be of my own creation.

Thank you for the welcome!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Welcome, it's nice to have you - Nekusar has always been my favorite griefer commander, ahah.

There is one other forum with a lot of activity, but it's certainly not everyone's bag, more of a hobby within a hobby. Still, we're always looking for more people.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”