The Locust God

Reaper_RM
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Reaper_RM » 3 years ago

This build of The Locust God uses multiple ways to win.
With all the ways to draw present we can win with The Locust God and Shared Animosity for a creature beatdown.
We could also group slug combo out with Purphoros, God of the Forge and Impact Tremors.
And finally we can go with the infant draw option Sage of the Falls and Laboratory Maniac.
Other combo possibilities are also in the list. A huge shout out to RowanKeltizar for his input on the decks construction.

Always looking to improve the deck, so feel free to offer suggestions and as to why.

The Locust God

Commander

Draw Outlet:

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Reaper_RM 3 years ago, edited 19 times in total.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Mindmoil and Rielle, the Everwise come to mind, although they don't work together the way you'd like. Still great.

Brallin, Skyshark Rider could be another machine gun for you too. Psychosis Crawler and one of the Niv-Mizzets, especially Niv-Mizzet, Parun do serious work too. I'd run them over the "slow" wheels like Jace's Archivist. I built a similar deck with Shabraz/Brallin that you can check out in my sig for ideas.

Edit: also, I'm quite excited for the new card Teferi's Ageless Insight, which seems like it would be great here if you don't own / can't afford a Alhammarret's Archive.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

Generally, I will suggest going much more creature dense with The Locust God as you already know. Also, I hate to keep saying this, but since you already own a lot of these cards, you could pretty easily turn this deck into a Niv-Mizzet, Parun list by simply removing the creature support cards of which there aren't that many.

I think it just comes down to whether or not you want to go creature swarm, or spellslinger/control.

I want to attach my original Locust God list just for reference:

Decklist

COMMANDER

RECURSION

Lands: 36

BASICS

12 Island
Approximate Total Cost:

WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Reaper_RM

I totally agree with the creature density. After playing quite a few games with this list I have realized that. I thinking a wizard subtheme on creatures and only ones that draw cards expect like Teferi, Venser, Glen and Kira. Definitely run less of the wheel spells. I worry about recursion. Besides the infinite combos present with Sage of the Falls and Kindred Discovery, if Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir is added then I could look at Knowledge Pool and Possibility Storm for that combo lock.

Overall, I see a lot of things I like in your deck Rowan, just gotta figure out what to swap what for and what to use to start with. I tend to get really picky overthink when it comes time to fine tune a deck lol. But thanks everyone for the input! I am listening, just trying to piece something together that works for me.

Reaper_RM

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Mindmoil and Rielle, the Everwise come to mind, although they don't work together the way you'd like. Still great.

Brallin, Skyshark Rider could be another machine gun for you too. Psychosis Crawler and one of the Niv-Mizzets, especially Niv-Mizzet, Parun do serious work too. I'd run them over the "slow" wheels like Jace's Archivist. I built a similar deck with Shabraz/Brallin that you can check out in my sig for ideas.

Edit: also, I'm quite excited for the new card Teferi's Ageless Insight, which seems like it would be great here if you don't own / can't afford a Alhammarret's Archive.
I really like Mindmoil and would love it in here. But as RowanKeltizar has mentioned, creature based seems to be the way to go. That said Arjun, the Shifting Flame was suggested as the creature alternative. 1 cmc difference but the effect is there and it's a wizard, which is the subtheme I'm mulling over. Niv-Mizzet, Parun may reshow itself to me if I go the wizard route as well. I can't deny it's powerful. Psychosis Crawler probably just belongs in a dedicated wheel deck like Nekusar, the Mindrazer imo. I like it don't get me wrong. But I'm really trying to get the deck focused down to a core idea with maybe the subtheme.

Now onto Brallin, Skyshark Rider, Rielle, the Everwise and Glint-Horn Buccaneer. I like what these do, no doubt. Brallin and Glint-Horn would be stellar in a wheel deck. Here not so much since I'm probably leaning away from discarding. Same could be said about Rielle too, but I'm not dead set on it yet either. Basically we will have to see what this deck evolves into if they will be viable.

Lastly, Teferi's Ageless Insight and Alhammarret's Archive. I absolutely want these cards. Teferi's will be way easier to acquire. Archive I will pick up when I got all the cheaper stuff out of the way.

Good suggestions overall and I appreciate the input.

Reaper_RM

Major overhaul to the deck to go more creature oriented to provide early game support and help the deck flow more consistently. Other upgrades are in process and will update as they are made.

Reaper_RM

Quick update on upgrades.

Elixir of Immortality--->Call to Mind
Feldon's Cane--->Mystic Retrieval
Cranial Archive--->Echo of Eons

Changed up the recursion packed to flow better with Laboratory Maniac.

Rewind--->Negate

Brought in a cheaper counterspell so I didn't have to hold up 4 mana.

Cathartic Reunion--->Teferi's Ageless Insight

Dropped one of the weaker draw spells in favor of another draw multiplier.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Try to pick up an Intruder Alarm when you can get one. They are currently going for 7-8$ Besides going infinite with your commander, It does work exceptionally well with all your creatures with looting effects, and of course any other creature that taps to do anything. Broken card. Dreamscape Artist is also something to consider for this deck

You should probably pick up a Chaos Warp and a Vandalblast as they are pretty good removal spells.

As you go more creature dense, Lightning Greaves and Kira, Great Glass-Spinner will become pretty useful, helping protect your key creatures.

Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner should be an absolute powerhouse
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

Reaper_RM

Update on changes.

Decided to add another tutor, removal spell and a protection piece and removed some sub optimal draw spells.

Mystical Tutor--->Preordain
Lightning Greaves--->Desperate Ravings
Chaos Warp--->Compulsive Research

Reaper_RM

Quick update:

Added another creature based draw engine and some artifact removal and took out a couple more sub optimal draw spells.

Arjun, the Shifting Flame--->Artificer's Epiphany
Vandalblast--->Opt

Reaper_RM

Update:

Now that I am fine tuning the deck, I will be testing out cards to see if they fit for my current meta. I will post my results after I've had some time to get some games in and see what they do.

Out:
Mountain x2
Krovikan Sorcerer
Rummaging Goblin
Dream Cache

In:
Torbran, Thane of Red Fell
Magus of the Wheel
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Frontline Sage
Archmage Ascension

MeowZeDung

If you're looking to go creature dense, then Arcanis the Omnipotent could be good.

Reaper_RM

Arcanis the Omnipotent is too high cmc wise. Only reason I am testing out Azami, Lady of Scrolls is most the creatures are wizards and when I get an untap mechanic in there. she should perform really well. Just need to buy an Intruder Alarm.

Reaper_RM

Update:

In: Alhammarret's Archive
Out: Kindred Discovery

Picked up Archive over the weekend and decided to drop Discovery. Discovery is a great card no doubt, but when it combos with Locust God, I can't stop it very easily unless I have other win cons already on the field. I feel Sage of the Falls is the better choice for infinite draw because it gives me the option to stop so if I need to drop Lab Man or run into one of the other combo pieces, I can.

At the moment I am considering these cards:
Intruder Alarm
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rielle, the Everwise
Brallin, Skyshark Rider

Reaper_RM

Update:

Got a lot of games in with this deck and all I can say is wow. Very resilient and can explode out of nowhere. I've gotten used to being targeted as soon as I start rolling, guess the fear is real lol.

Anyway, definitely got to see how the deck interacts with itself and the table and what the test cards were capable of.

Archmage Ascension was underwhelming. Early or mid game it was too slow to get it going and no proliferation in the deck to speed it up. This card is going out.

Torbran, Thane of Red Fell is a bomb. He immediately says have an answer or burn. Early game when paired up with Impact Tremors is sick. Late game when tokens abound or even the pingers are out just closes the game out with minimal effort. This card is staying in.

Narset's Reversal, most the time I wish it was something else. Rarely get to use it to snatch a kill spell or anything. I'm in more of a counter based meta. This card is out.

Frontline Sage just doesn't pan out when I get see it. The pay a just to loot isn't worth it to me. Rather have just a tap effect only. This card is out.

Call to Mind and Mystic Retrieval. I see them pretty often, just never been in a position where I felt like I needed the recursion or they did nothing for me at all. Currently on my watch list.

One change will be made as of right now. The other two will be made after I acquire the cards.

Archmage Ascension---->Glint-Horn Buccaneer
I feel like this will give me another avenue of attack since I do discard a bit thanks to my looters and wheel effects.

Narset's Reversal---->Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
Kira can provide better protection for me in the long run than Reversal imo. Will have to buy a copy before I officially make the change.

Frontline Sage---->Thought Courier
Courier is just strictly way better and one mana cheaper. Plus side it is a wizard as well, which is keeping with the unintentional sub-theme I have going on. Will have to buy a copy before I officially make the change on this as well.

Reaper_RM

Update:

Picked up Thought Courier today. So I will be replacing Frontline Sage with it.

MeowZeDung

I'm always sad to see Narset's Reversal get cut, but looking at your list I see it probably isn't the worst call. Reversal is responsible for two sequences of play that I'm very fond of: stealing a green player's turn 3 Cultivate or Kodama's Reach to ramp yourself and time walk them, OR nonsense with your own spells - usually copy and/or mana effects. For example, Bonus Round + Turnabout + Narset's Reversal is infinite storm and mana with proper stack manipulation and enough lands, Mana Geyser or High Tide + Narset's Reversal can shoot your mana production into the stratosphere for the turn, and something like Brainstorm + Increasing Vengeance + Narset's Reversal can make a lot of locusts, but that's a lot of setup when you could just run stupid Blue Sun's Zenith or Read the Runes. Since you aren't really running the pieces that Reversal goes really good with and just hoping your opponents throw something tasty out there for you, it's probably a safe cut.

That said, I dunno about Kira, Great Glass-Spinner. I mean, The Locust God is already fairly resilient and no one is looking to target your bugs individually with removal spells. If you want to keep your commander safe I feel like good ole Swiftfoot Boots would be better and you can Fabricate or Whir of Invention for them. If you're looking to protect the team, Eldrazi Monument blanks a lot of damage based or destroy sweepers while also pumping your bugs. Honestly, as you mentioned, this list is looking to be explosive and win out of nowhere, so I don't know that more reactive/defensive protection pieces are the best call. I'd almost consider more draw/token production or explosive aggression before Kira; maybe Cavalcade of Calamity, Raid Bombardment, Windfall, Treasure Cruise, Gratuitous Violence, or Savage Beating?

Just some ideas.

Reaper_RM

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
That said, I dunno about Kira, Great Glass-Spinner. I mean, The Locust God is already fairly resilient and no one is looking to target your bugs individually with removal spells. If you want to keep your commander safe I feel like good ole Swiftfoot Boots would be better and you can Fabricate or Whir of Invention for them. If you're looking to protect the team, Eldrazi Monument blanks a lot of damage based or destroy sweepers while also pumping your bugs. Honestly, as you mentioned, this list is looking to be explosive and win out of nowhere, so I don't know that more reactive/defensive protection pieces are the best call. I'd almost consider more draw/token production or explosive aggression before Kira; maybe Cavalcade of Calamity, Raid Bombardment, Windfall, Treasure Cruise, Gratuitous Violence, or Savage Beating?

Kira, Great Glass-Spinner is intended to protect my value creatures, cause I won't always be able to go off. Having additional protection for say Sage of the Falls, Consecrated Sphinx, any of the pingers and Azami, Lady of Scrolls and wizard crew would be great.

As for the combat ping cards, double damage and extra combat, I've been looking at them to see if I can fit anything in the current list. I don't know if that is the direction I want to go or not, but it is worth taking a look at.

With Double Masters 4 days away, I'm holding off on making changes. If I get lucky with some pulls, I might be able to change a few things for strictly better cards. So knock on wood and wish me luck.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Narset's Reversal is such a fantastic card. One of my favorite blue spells and I do think it is worth building around a little bit, but it doesn't need it. There are so many common spells that are good to cast this on. Torment of Hailfire, Cyclonic Rift, etc... I think you should give it another chance. You can still use it to thwart counterspells, just be sure they don't have enough mana to recast it that turn.

Like Reaper said, Kira, Great Glass-Spinner is in there largely to protect other key creatures in addition to the Locust God. The original list I came up with was very creature heavy and went with creature effects wherever possible. Kira basically makes your board immune to targeted removal which I thought was pretty good.

What Kira doesn't do is protect against board wipes, which are probably the more devastating threat that this deck faces. Hopefully you have enough card draw to recover or you have a counterspell in hand.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

Reaper_RM

Update:

I have noticed that my early game is still pretty weak. Still don't have the interactions I want early on. Thinking about bringing back some cheap card draw spells in the mix to maybe remedy this.

Elsewise, I have 3 cards I am thinking about running.

Intruder Alarm
Rielle, the Everwise
Fiery Emancipation

Also, still looking to pickup a copy of Kira, Great Glass-Spinner to make the last change I had listed.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Would you mind posting your most up to date list? I think you swapped out some cards that are still listed in the OP.

I think Rielle and Intruder Alarm are very strong inclusions. Fiery Emancipation might be difficult to get into play and I would just treat it with suspicion and be ready to cut it if it clogs up your hand. I think it's a bit of a win more card. Izzet has a hard time with high cost spells. The more efficient you can be, the smoother your games will go. You want things that are castable in the first 3 turns.

I think your early game needs to mostly be cheap artifact ramp and cheap looting effects to dig for what you need. I am a really big fan of running a lot of creatures that can loot. Taking out some of your higher cost spells will do wonders for your early game.
While these are all pretty good cards, they are all also high on your curve. You might consider swapping these out for more ramp and cheap draw effects. I am a really big fan of Dreamscape Artist and Treasonous Ogre in this deck.

I think running so many creatures in Izzet colors is a bit of liability in commander, so if you find your card advantage is being wrecked, you might try Eldrazi Monument. You have several options for artifact tutors to grab it.

Another card I think you should consider is Opposition as it can deal with a wide range of threats and plays well with the untap effects. With enough tokens, you can completely lock someone down since this can target lands.

Sweet Amonkhet Invocations frame available for it too (which has locusts on it. Coincidence? I think not!):
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

Reaper_RM

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
Would you mind posting your most up to date list? I think you swapped out some cards that are still listed in the OP.
The OP is up to date.

Those are some valid points. One thing I have noticed is that Arjun, the Shifting Flame isn't really needed. Everytime I see it, I'm already in a winning postion, so it feels like a win more card. And if I have it early on, I'd rather be doing something else. I'll look into your suggestions and see what I feel will work for me.

For now this update is taking place:

OUT:
Arjun, the Shifting Flame
Azami, Lady of Scrolls

IN:
Rielle, the Everwise
Everflowing Chalice

Taking Arjun out for the reasons stated above. Azami is going because I never see much value come off her and it would be better to utilize that slot for something that will help out more and lower my overall cmc. Adding in Rielle based on the suggestions and Chalice for an extra mana rock.

Reaper_RM

So I've compiled a list of cards that I find lackluster and feel like I should replace. I have also compiled a list of draw spells to choose from to add in. Also, I have 2 cards which I want to put in, but I will have to buy one first.

Droplist:
Flusterstorm
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Call to Mind
Mystic Retrieval
Whir of Invention
Cephalid Looter
Reckless Scholar

These 7 cards I feel aren't doing much for me at all. I never use them and always wind up pitching them to other loot effects.

Addlist:
Intruder Alarm
Fellwar Stone

These 2 cards I want to add in for sure. I don't own an Intruder Alarm yet, so I'm waiting till I buy one.

Card Draw List:
Card Draw Ideas
Approximate Total Cost:

This is a list of the cheap cantrips and draw at cmc 2 or less that I pooled together to find some other early plays. 3 cards stand out to me in this list:
Izzet Charm
Forget
See Beyond

My thought line on this to add some extra card draw, but still leave some room open for other avenues that have been suggested that I need to explore.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Hmm, I can tell you that Izzet Charm is a good and useful spell. Instant speed is always going to be better than sorcery even if you aren't going heavy into control.

There are certainly better recursion spells than Call to Mind and Mystic Retrieval. Snapcaster Mage would be something to look into. Being able to bounce him repeatedly is really good if you can pull off that engine. I still think a small amount of recursion is going to be good. Wheeling twice for example or recasting your best removal spells. It makes your deck more streamlined.

The fact is, with so many discard outlets you will have no problem filling up your graveyard. I would try out Underworld Breach if you can get one. I like it because it can recur other types of cards besides just instants and sorceries and also multiple times. Casting Reality Shift like 3 times feels awesome!

Going with Underworld Breach and Snapcaster Mage over Call to Mind and Mystic Retrieval is a straight upgrade and you should see the difference. Lower on curve and more abusable. If you can't afford Snappy, you should go with Mission Briefing instead. It is almost as good in this deck, and actually better in my Niv-Mizzet list.

Without Whir of Invention you are going to be very light on tutors. I think you should look at Trinket Mage, Imperial Recruiter, or Spellseeker since they are all creatures with ETB abilities that also synergy with your other creature based strategies.

Also, you should look at swapping out Mind Stone, Thought Vessel and Everflowing Chalice when you get a chance. Giving you just one colorless mana for an investment of 2 isn't a great deal. If you want to stick with rocks, I would look at Thran Dynamo, Fellwar Stone, and Coalition Relic. If you want to try creatures, I would go with Dreamscape Artist, Treasonous Ogre, and Dockside Extortionist.
Last edited by RowanKeltizar 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic