Copies in graveyard

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

Buried in Earth
Instant
Target card in graveyard becomes a copy of another target land card in graveyard.

Is this even possible by the current rules? And does it work as intended, which means:
-If I control Crucible of Worlds and have a remaining land play this turn, after I cast Buried in Earth targeting nonland permament card, I should be able to play that card; after it changes zones it becomes a different object, so it stops being land and returns to original form already on the battlefield
  • Does ETB triggers work as if it was a land, or itself?
  • What happens, if the first card targetted is a sorcery/instant? Neither can enter the battlefield, but does the game reverse impossible game action, or what?
-If a player casts Raise Dead on a card in their graveyard, I target the card with Buried in Earth, then it fizzles due to illegal target?

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 2 years ago

It is possible in the current rules. the rules support any object becoming a copy of any other object.

It will stop cloning when it changes zones.

It will ETB as its original identity but will leave the graveyard as a land.

If a permanent tries to enter the battlefield but can't it is placed in the graveyard. This is already a standing rule with instants and sorcerys can't enter the battlefield as being a rule the action of playing a cloned instant/land will use your land drop for the turn and not accomplish anything.

You could fizzle a raise dead spell with such a card.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

user_938036 wrote:
2 years ago
If a permanent tries to enter the battlefield but can't it is placed in the graveyard. This is already a standing rule with instants and sorcerys can't enter the battlefield as being a rule the action of playing a cloned instant/land will use your land drop for the turn and not accomplish anything.
Would it be seen as if it never left the graveyard and stay as a land copy, or would it rather be seen as a land leaving graveyard, then instant/sorcery entering the graveyard as a different object?
I guess for simplicity sake, this effect would require targetting "target permament card", so above confusion would not come into play.

user_938036

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
2 years ago
user_938036 wrote:
2 years ago
Would it be seen as if it never left the graveyard and stay as a land copy, or would it rather be seen as a land leaving graveyard, then instant/sorcery entering the graveyard as a different object?
I guess for simplicity sake, this effect would require targetting "target permament card", so above confusion would not come into play.
It would be a new object, so not a copy anymore, and if it matters it is actually placed in the graveyard. It doesn't simply stay in the graveyard. It becomes the top most card of the graveyard and all the other things that should happen.

While it might be confusing for a card to go from the graveyard to the graveyard with no in-between the rules handle going from a zone to the same zone just fine.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

This is cutting the knot, but - this would work best as a design meant for a digital-only release and using that very useful tool, "perpetually."
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

That would be a different functionality, though, at least in regard to interaction with cards in your graveyard. One of the intents is that it could serve as tool for cheating permanents, if someone is willing to jump through enough of hoops. Maybe it could be worded another way:

Buried in Earth
Instant (R)
Target (permanent?) card in graveyard becomes a basic Forest(?) land card (until end of turn?).

user_938036

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
2 years ago
That would be a different functionality, though, at least in regard to interaction with cards in your graveyard. One of the intents is that it could serve as tool for cheating permanents, if someone is willing to jump through enough of hoops. Maybe it could be worded another way:

Buried in Earth
Instant (R)
Target (permanent?) card in graveyard becomes a basic Forest(?) land card (until end of turn?).
Limiting it to permanents fixes the problems of putting instants or sorcerys on the battlefield. Though as an actual card, it may work better as an enchantment rather than an instant. Though it's just a Rest in Peace variant at that point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”