Making Transformable Curses based on the 7 Deadly Sins

ariamisblk
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by ariamisblk » 2 years ago

Hello all, i am a novice card maker, and had an idea to make a set of Aura Curses based off The 7 Deadly Sins.

The First one i have is my test card Curse of Anger//Curse of Wrath.

It starts off as a simple Curse, but keep it from happening, and it gets worse, but gives breathing room for the next effects set in.

I do know that some of the actual wording is off, but any critics on the effects as a whole would be great!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Hmmm... not sure how I feel about these.

Cure of Anger is an upgraded Curse of the Nightly Hunt, with the addition of a punisher effect for not attacking... which is already forced. As a result, the most likely case for it to flip is when a new creature is played, which will have summoning sickness. When it flips, again, it will generally trigger whenever the cursed player plays a new creature. As a general rule, discouraging players from playing creatures isn't a very fun play pattern.

Fortunately, there are two pretty easy solutions for this. One possibility would be to give the enchanted player's creatures haste - in this case, they have the interesting question of 'do I play a creature before combat that must attack, or do I play a blocker and flip the curse / take damage?' Giving people choices usually makes the gameplay more engaging. Alternatively, you could have a more broad 'if enchanted player didn't attack, transform // deal damage'. In this case, they are incentivized to play more creatures to stop it from flipping, assuming they run out of creatures.

For Curse of Lethargy, I suspect there may be power level concerns - making noncreature spells cost more is backbreaking for a lot of decks, and this effect usually only adds . This effect is also pretty firmly in white's color pie - see Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Elspeth Conquers Death. The fact that it triggers on casting two spells also seems a bit odd, given how difficult it is to trigger. 'If enchanted player didn't cast any spells, transform' feels like it would make a bit more sense. Hmmm....

That said, I do like the idea of transforming curses - some interesting design space here!

ariamisblk

Post by ariamisblk » 2 years ago

I did not think of it that way, thank you for the critique. I will totally put those into consideration when revamping them.

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 2 years ago

Being multicolor, Curse of the nightly hunt not being very good and Wrath not being a strict upgrade means Curse of Anger could probably stay at 3 CMC. Also, there is no reason for the ignore text. It's not even functional. To help clean up the wording.

Curse of Anger 1BR
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Creatures enchanted player controls attack each combat if able.
At the beginning of enchanted player's end step. If they control any creatures that didn't attack this turn transform Curse of Anger.
//
Curse of Wrath
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Creatures enchanted player controls have haste.
Creatures enchanted player controls attack each combat if able.
At the beginning of enchanted player's end step. Curse of Wrath deals X damage to them. Where X is equal to the total power and toughness of each creature they control that didn't attack this turn.

Curse of Lethargy is mostly reasonable. However that transform condition and Curse of Sloth might be too much, It's a hard shut out if the opponent stumbles a little. A similar but interactable transform trigger would help. Something like transforming if they control untapped lands. Clean up the wording on this.

Curse of Lethargy 2WB
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Noncreature spells enchanted player casts cost 1 more to cast.
At the beginning of enchanted player's end step. If they control any untapped lands transform Curse of Lethargy.
//
Curse of Sloth
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Spells enchanted player cast cost 2 more to cast.
Whenever an opponent taps a nonland permanent for mana, that permanent doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Last edited by user_938036 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Oooh, I like the new versions. They look quite nice! The exact numbers may need some exact tweaking (damage = power + toughness feels like a lot for Wrath, and Curse of Lethargy may be a little too cheap at 3 mana), but these definitely look like they would allow for some interesting gameplay.

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Oooh, I like the new versions. They look quite nice! The exact numbers may need some exact tweaking (damage = power + toughness feels like a lot for Wrath, and Curse of Lethargy may be a little too cheap at 3 mana), but these definitely look like they would allow for some interesting gameplay.
Meant to leave Lethargy at 4 cmc, put wrong numbers. Fixed.

Giving the opponent's creatures haste can be a significant downside for yourself. And most likely they want to save their weak creatures so dealing only one or two damage per creature won't be significant. Honestly it doesn't even seem really good unless paired with pacifism effects.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”