1 vs 1 options

CarmeloLabadie
Pronoun: he / him

Post by CarmeloLabadie » 2 years ago

Hello everyone. Recently, I've hopped on the commander train and have been having loads of fun with this format. I see there are a few different formats and I'm trying to dictate what fits best for 1 vs 1 paper (not into online). I'm looking to play with my wife without any strict rules, but still want the game to be balanced without being broken. We were just playing normal commander with 40 starting life. Is this sufficient, or are there any tweaks/advice for making the game fairly balanced between the two of us? Not sure what banlist to use for our style of play either in this case. Really only utilizing a banlist for balance purposes, not because we're strict. Just looking to casually play and have fun, but with the proper mechanics to still keep it strategic and competitive between the two of us without breaking the game. Avoided brawl because I like the idea of bigger decks with more options and different games each time. Thanks everyone!

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

If you're specifically looking to play 1v1 commander, I'll point you to the Duel Commander banlist/ruleset, which is designed to be balanced in that setting (opposed to the normal banlist's multiplayer setting).

I will note that It is intended for a competitive setting, which does not sound to be your situation, but I'd still recommend taking a look at it for ideas. The biggest change I would take away from it is to cut out most of the fast mana (Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, etc), since those are significantly swingier in 1v1 without multiplayer politics to punish fast starts.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
If you're specifically looking to play 1v1 commander, I'll point you to the Duel Commander banlist/ruleset, which is designed to be balanced in that setting (opposed to the normal banlist's multiplayer setting).
That ban list is intriguing. Aggro decks and W/R are generally considered to be less viable in EDH, yet the ban list shows a strong dislike towards them in dueling.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
That ban list is intriguing. Aggro decks and W/R are generally considered to be less viable in EDH, yet the ban list shows a strong dislike towards them in dueling.
Duel commander also uses a lower life total (20 for French, 30 for Leviathan). But yeah, cutting down from three opponents to just one makes aggro significantly more viable - less life points to chew through and fewer board wipes.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Duel commander also uses a lower life total (20 for French, 30 for Leviathan). But yeah, cutting down from three opponents to just one makes aggro significantly more viable - less life points to chew through and fewer board wipes.
Wouldn't mind seeing regular EDH with 30 life instead of 40.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”