Formatting/Rules Question - Great Fairy Fountain

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Working on a mythic for my Breath of the Wild set and I have a formatting/rules question on a card.

Great Fairy Fountain 1urw
Legendary Enchantment
Artifact creature tokens can't block.
All noncreature artifacts you control are 2/2 Construct artifact creatures. (Artifact creatures that are also Equipments can't be attached to other creatures.)
Treat artifact creatures you control that are also Equipment as if they are equipping themselves. (They have all abilities and power and toughness changes that a creature they are equipping would have. Equipment artifact creatures should be treated as if they are equipped, but cannot become unequipped.)

Basically, how to word the third ability, so that Equipment artifact creatures are treated as equipping themselves. For example, if Great Fairy Fountain animates a Sword of Fire and Ice I want the Sword to be a creature with the following abilities (I know the text will be rough):

Sword of Fire and Ice 3
Artifact Creature - Equipment Construct
Treat Sword of Fire and Ice as if it is equipped.
Protection from red and from blue.
Whenever Sword of Fire and Ice deals combat damage to a player, it deals 2 damage to any target and you draw a card.
Equip 2*
4/4

*I know it can't equip a creature as it is a creature, but if I remember correctly, it still has its equip ability.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

My suggestion is to swipe overload tech. "Change the text of each Equipment creature you control by replacing all instances of "equipped creature" with "this creature"."
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
My suggestion is to swipe overload tech. "Change the text of each Equipment creature you control by replacing all instances of "equipped creature" with "this creature"."
That's a great suggestion. That should work. Thanks.

New:

Great Fairy Fountain 1urw
Legendary Enchantment
Artifact creature tokens can't block.
All noncreature artifacts you control are 2/1 Construct artifact creatures. (Artifact creatures that are also Equipments can't be attached to other creatures.)
Change the text of each Equipment creature you control by replacing all instances of "equipped creature" with "this creature".
Equipment creatures you control have "This creature counts as being equipped."

Still not 100% on the language in the last sentence (Equipment creatures you control have "This creature counts as being equipped."). The only reason I really want to keep this functionality is UR cares about equipped creatures.

WizardMN
Answers: 132

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

I am not sure the last sentence is a good idea. As far as I can tell, there are only a handful of cards it would actually do anything with:

Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale
Nazahn, Revered Bladesmith
Dalakos, Crafter of Wonders
Akiri, Fearless Voyager
Reyav, Master Smith
Koll, the Forgemaster
Stone Haven Outfitter

For this few, I think it is likely just better to understand that the benefit you get from "auto-equipping" all equipment is partially offset by these cards not working with them. It also leads to weird rules questions (though there is one real rules issue in particular below I want to call out) with things like Sunforger and whether something can be unattached from itself or with things like Golem-Skin Gauntlets regarding whether it counts itself. The clear answer is "no" since there are no actual equipment attached to it but there are sure to be questions on how it can be "equipped" but these effects don't work. I have seen sillier arguments anyway....

Interestingly, there is a real rules conundrum that people might not get right with the whole text changing effect: the Rune cycle of cards. Rune of Might for example. Because your ability is a text changing effect, it won't affect the ability the Runes grant to the Equipment. Now, it clearly gets the first instance since it is a creature but the argument is that it should get the added "Equipped creature gets...." and it will since it is still an Equipment. It just got it too late for the Fountain to change that text to make the second ability affect itself.

I don't think this wrinkle in the rules is any real concern over the text or card itself. I agree that this is the more elegant way to word your effect. Just be aware that it will be confusing at least with this cycle of cards.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

WizardMN wrote:
2 years ago
I am not sure the last sentence is a good idea. As far as I can tell, there are only a handful of cards it would actually do anything with:

Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale
Nazahn, Revered Bladesmith
Dalakos, Crafter of Wonders
Akiri, Fearless Voyager
Reyav, Master Smith
Koll, the Forgemaster
Stone Haven Outfitter

For this few, I think it is likely just better to understand that the benefit you get from "auto-equipping" all equipment is partially offset by these cards not working with them. It also leads to weird rules questions (though there is one real rules issue in particular below I want to call out) with things like Sunforger and whether something can be unattached from itself or with things like Golem-Skin Gauntlets regarding whether it counts itself. The clear answer is "no" since there are no actual equipment attached to it but there are sure to be questions on how it can be "equipped" but these effects don't work. I have seen sillier arguments anyway....

Interestingly, there is a real rules conundrum that people might not get right with the whole text changing effect: the Rune cycle of cards. Rune of Might for example. Because your ability is a text changing effect, it won't affect the ability the Runes grant to the Equipment. Now, it clearly gets the first instance since it is a creature but the argument is that it should get the added "Equipped creature gets...." and it will since it is still an Equipment. It just got it too late for the Fountain to change that text to make the second ability affect itself.

I don't think this wrinkle in the rules is any real concern over the text or card itself. I agree that this is the more elegant way to word your effect. Just be aware that it will be confusing at least with this cycle of cards.
The reason for the last sentence is this is for my The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild set I am building and the UR theme is equipped creatures, so I kind of want to keep it if I can so that it play nicer with the archetype.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”