LandellXil0cent
Pronoun: he / him

Post by LandellXil0cent » 7 months ago

Oh, thanks

FrostBoss216
Makes too many games

Post by FrostBoss216 » 6 months ago

I have an alternate card idea for this challenge.
Fat Man, Mini Nuke Launcher
-I decided to use this card for the challenge instead, since it's much cooler than good ol' Codsworth

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 6 months ago

@netn10: what exactly is "omnipath", BTW?

netn10

Post by netn10 » 6 months ago

Raptorchan wrote:
6 months ago
@netn10: what exactly is "omnipath", BTW?
My bad lol. *Omenpath
https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Omenpath

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Okay, I am stupid.

Can someone explain today's challenge theme for me?

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 6 months ago

As I understand: Make a card based on something Hasbro sells (e.g. https://shop.hasbro.com/en-us), but not one of the things they've already done (e.g. Transformers, D&D, My Little Pony).
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

FrostBoss216
Makes too many games

I completely forgot about today's challenge until last second, lol. I thought I had some annoying math but it's nothing compared to yall

FrostBoss216
Makes too many games

2 things:
@netn10 don't forget your IIW State!

And @HexBolt0505 don't know if you've done this before, but you need to put two votes for yesterday's submissions along with a If I Win state. Just helpin out!

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Congratulations @netn10 for winning October!
I definitely wasn't able to keep up this month, huh.

FrostBoss216
Makes too many games

Congrats @netn10! I'm really glad I started doing this challenge, it's so much fun and it helps me work on my custom sets a ton.

(Also thanks for the compliment netn10, the flavor was probably odd because it's based on an OC for my Western Set)

shullz

Post by shullz » 6 months ago

I just noticed that I might have slightly misunderstood the last challenge.
I thought it meant, to give a card haste or vigilance, breaking the color pie, and justifying it with flavour or mechanics. Like how Mana Tithe is a white counter spell.
While it probably meant assuming haste/vigilance were part of that color's identity and designing a card with that in mind.
Anyway, I guess it still worked out.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 6 months ago

shullz wrote:
6 months ago
Honorable mention: void_nothing - I liked this card the most, but I don't get why it has haste.
Honestly my idea was that if white got haste it would use it primarily for activated abilities. I took inspo from Bonded Fetch, another off-color haste card with defender.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 4 months ago

Is there a reason my submission (for a four- color removal spell) wasn't included?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
4 months ago
Is there a reason my submission (for a four- color removal spell) wasn't included?
I'm just seeing this, but you posted in the thread for the 20th in the middle of the day (Eastern time) today, the 21st. I try my best to edit threads to include entries that are posted shortly after the new challenge goes up, but I can't always catch everything, especially not when that much time is passed.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 4 months ago

Well, geez. How'm I s'posedta win with my one measly submission a month if it doesn't even get recognized? :P

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 months ago

are you allowed to vote for your own entry? I imagine not.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 months ago

chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
are you allowed to vote for your own entry? I imagine not.
Yeah, that's generally disallowed. Otherwise, for a non-negligible portion of players, one of their two votes would always be for their own card.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 4 months ago

@JovialJovian, care to enlighten me on what you mean by 'New Beginnings'? Or do you perhaps expect one to interpret it for themselves?

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 months ago

@void_nothing, your quotes on the Jan 24th Challenge seem to be, uh, broken.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 months ago

YoTed wrote:
3 months ago
PS: I interpreted the last topic as Dog or Cat. And Laika is about a dog which experienced cat-astrophic failure. So technically one form of cat is on the card, How much leeway is there with these topics?
Generally, it's up to each participant to choose how strictly they want to apply the criteria. Anecdotally, I haven't found a correlation between the number of participants and how strictly the winning entrants feel -- sometimes, you get a submittal that interprets the criteria in a completely off-the-wall manner that's endearing. But generally I find (in all the contests on Nexus) people do tend to be fairly literal.

shullz

Post by shullz » 3 months ago

@YoTed The prompt was just two words and the exact meaning up for interpretation. If you had actually used the word catastrophe on the card I would have probably thought it's a clever interpretation of the prompt and voted for you.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 months ago

And I forgot to make the Mouldering Gold Keeper an artifact creature.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 months ago

shullz wrote:
2 months ago
@Rithaniel: I thought 10 was the max number of lines printed on an official magic card. And 9 lines are relatively common. I try to word my cards in a way to not go over that limit. And I usually include a text version, if I think it's hard to read.
But I still should probably cut down more, even if it's hard sometimes.
Yeah, but those 10-line cards are notable for having too much text. If I'm not mistaken, they include such standouts as Ice Cauldron and Shahrazad. The 9-line cards, meanwhile, are in the minority.

The rule, as I understand it, is: Aim for 7 or 8 lines. If you find that you need more, 9-line cards do exist, but that's the buffer zone. You use it when you need it, but you don't aim for a 9-line card.

That being said, it's difficult to judge how many lines of text a card actually has unless a render is posted. I've probably made plenty of cards (in the last year, even) that wouldn't obey this rule. I'm only noticing it because a lot of people have decided to post renders these last couple of months. But, it is a real design constraint: If your card is meant to be easily readable, you should use the space you have efficiently.

(Also, planeswalker text boxes are an entirely different can of worms.)
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
Challenge
Show
Hide
I dare you to do a City of Gyatt. I couldn't do it lol
Yeah, it creates a 10/10 token...

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
@netn10 - I was a little confused as to whether "on fleek" was Millennial or Gen-Z. :P /oldguy
I have to assume millennial, because I know what it means

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”