PW care Package (Chandra Tribal help)

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

Okay so I coined the term "Planeswalker Care Package" It is basically teh short list every commander deck runs (If they are in bant colors)
-Doubling season
-Deepglow Skate
-Rings of Brighthearth
-The Chain Veil (usually with Tezzeret the Seeker or Teferi, temporal Archmage)
-Academy Rector (the search up D.Season)
-Oath of teferi
-Sphere of Safety
and if they have black you have your tutors to search up your care package

Unfortunately I am running a mono red deck. Chandra tribal Not every chandra is great in EDH but i Don't care. She currently has the most PWs printed (Followed By Ajani, Jace, Liliana and then nissa (I am actually surprised jace is not even second most) has been one of my favorite PWs since she was first printed (Being my first PW card to own) With Jace and Tamiyo following close behind. And Kasmina tweaking my interest)

Anyway i do not run blue or green or any color other than red so the care package is reduced to two cards. (And i can;t even go crazy with Chain veil and untap)

So I am wanting to build this deck with an alternate PW advantage. It is not superfriends, it is theme. There are 29 cards that say Chandra in the name. Pyromancer's goggles is an obvious include so that brings my deck up to 30s card so far. I am going to try keeping creature to elementals, as she creates elementals and boosts them. (So... theme)

I am also going to take some of the mana accel i was going to use in ashling. keep my mana on point. I also do not have access to Grand abolisher so I have to run red elemental Blast and Pyroblast to help. (But those are just fun to run anyway.)

I am running 33 lands (Maybe more but mono color can get away with 33. valakut, the molten pinnacle is obviously one of them. and I plan to run teh 4 fetch lands that specify mountains, The one the specifies basic lands, the Terramorphic expanse and Evolving wilds and the panoramas that search mountains, all for deck thinning (That is 10 cards right off the bat.) the rest will mos likely actually be mountains, but i may change that.. I mean i do want to run Chandra's regulator (And I am gonna run Tectonic Reformation (with enough lands and mana doublers, i would prefer to cycle said lands than play them.)

but i still need help. which elementals do i run, what utility should i have? Why is red the worst color in EDH? (you don't have to answer the last question, it was rhetorical.)
So help?

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I'm assuming you're running Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh as your commander?

My approach would be tons of looting cards to get as many of those jank Chandra instant and sorcery cards into your graveyard, so that you can use them with Chandra, Acolyte of Flame, Chandra Ablaze, Jaya Ballard and Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery.
Jaya Ballard is Chandras teacher so very on theme.
Faithless Looting, Cathartic Reunion, Collective Defiance, Seasoned Pyromancer
Bag of Holding is an interesting one, although it directly contrasts with putting cards into your graveyard, at the same time if you do have it in play then your discard outlets can be advantage anyway. Plus this is a nice way to get around graveyard hate if causing problems.
This makes all the "discard" elements on your Chandra planeswalkers have more immediate value potentially as well.
It also means that any of the Tectonic Reformation cycled lands would be able to be returned. Admittedly this would work better with Scroll Rack in the deck.
Run the cycle lands as well, Desert of the Fervent , Forgotten Cave, Smoldering Crater, Geier Reach Sanitarium.
Gamble is a great card and you can always use it to get Past in Flames to guarantee value.

The Elemental side I'm not so sure about. You can run Sundial of the Infinite to keep the tokens.
Hostility is your best bet of turning the janky Chandra instant and sorcery cards into better threats. Young Pyromancer is perfectly on theme.

Gashnaw

those are all good ideas. i will look into them.
Hosility is a good idea, but not sure. I should mention this is not to be a competitive deck.

I was looking into Jaya myself. Was debating on her.

Yes, Fire of kaledesh is the commander.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Pyromancer's Goggles are Jaya's goggles, not Chandra's.

Jokulhaups is great with planeswalkers.
Also Smoke
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Planebound Accomplice plus Cloudstone Curio plus one of the Chandras that adds mana
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

TGambitG

Post by TGambitG » 4 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Chandra acquired the Goggles at some point, hoping to meet Jaya, and maybe return them to her.
Also Smoke
These two cards, running them in Commander is just being a dick. "You can't play the game" is always a dick move in a social format. cEDH, they're fine, but I don't feel they belong at the table in a 4 player game.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

Fire Servant might be of interest. Chandra summoned a Fire Elemental various times. This is close, and better.

Jaya, Venerated Firemage if you have enough going on, it really adds up.

I always liked to think of Obsidian Fireheart as close to a Chandra pet.

Chandra did use Ghostfire at the Eye of Ugin (which should be something they explore instead of ignoring. Colorless burn does have SOME uses).

For clarification, Chandra took the goggles from Keral Keep before going to Dominaria to look for Jaya. Granted, the card was made before this, but we can assume that the goggles were still stored in Keral Keep at the time.

Any of the abbots or creatures that mention Keral Keep would work. Pia Nalaar and Pia and Kiran Nalaar would work, since usually R needs artifact support, and Chandra has been known to break a few things.

As for the care package, Karn's Bastion is okay, since she met Karn through Jaya, though I suppose it wasn't the most detailed meeting and more like a hi-hi-bye thing. Volt Charge I found useful in my creature-less burn deck that featured Chandra Ablaze, but there's really no story connection, and it would really depend on how many counters on things you are running.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

I run "Daretti superfriends", and have learned a few things.

1. Run as much meaningful 'walker support as you can! You may be "in the the wrong colors" for the care package but you are in the right colors to tutor for, recur, and supercharge Chandra's Regulator, Rings of Brighthearth, and The Chain Veil. I also don't have Repeated Reverberation but look forward to testing it. Note I do say "meaningful" - Oath of Chandra is on-theme and bless you if you run it, but it will rarely be super relevant in EDH. I also don't know that I'd run Planebound Accomplice unless you are using Cloudstone Curio alongside it to try to go infinite; in my experience Planeswalkers are like Slivers and Voltron (the actual thing, not the strategy) in that getting more and more on the table snowballs quickly in terms of power and utility, so having to sacrifice it in exchange for a little mana is a terrible deal. I'm 50/50 on Proliferate engines - Contagion Clasp and Contagion Engine got cut from my most recent iteration of Daretti (and this despite being able to loop them with D and Goblin Welder!), but I'd add Karn's Bastion if I owned one even though it is a non-bo with Caged Sun, Koth of the Hammer, and Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle.

2. One-sided boardwipes rule. Load up on stuff that wrecks the table but keeps your wall of 'walkers around like Nevinyrral's Disk, Jokulhaups, Rolling Earthquake, Starstorm, Anger of the Gods, Wildfire, Sudden Demise, and more. Use your judgment as to what's going to be kosher and necessary for your playgroup - at my kitchen table I've found Wildire and 'haups to be waaaaay too cruel and nasty but the rest have been fine and necessary. You don't need to go full STAX, but it can be extremely powerful to clear the board every once in a while when you have one or two 'walkers out, as suddenly you get several turns of advantage.

3. Ugin's Nexus is good, and you can bring it back with Karn, The Great Creator :smirk: . Not necessarily on-theme, but fun and strong; any way to take multiple turns is realllll good for a Planeswalker deck.

4. You are a control deck that will be doing lots during your turn and then have "Shields down"; instant-speed interaction is your friend. It's also not a forte for Red, but I'd try to make room for Lightning Bolt, Magmatic Sinkhole, Volcanic Offering, Wild Ricochet, Fury Storm, and Word of Seizing - ways to put the fear of God into people off-turn so that once the 'wall of 'walkers is built, you can protect it.

Gashnaw

Well i have me First version up. Gonna test tomorrow night see what works and what doesn't. i am running 16 PWs (well 15.5 since my commander is Chandra that turn into a PW, she is only a PW half the time)

Anyway i am running Bot Jaya and all chandras. Any card that has Chandra in the name is also being run. I may run some borad wipes but not wanking to focus on that. I am currently missing the goggles since the store did not have it, I am gonna check my other lGS tomorrow evening to see if they have it and if not, well then i guess I will just have to wait. I am avoiding proxies in this deck as it is already jank. Thematic, but jank.

I will check into Karn's bastion. The theme i am going for is Chandra stuff not story wise. So lands can be from anywhere (I am also missing valkut and Prismatic Vista at the moment, again card that will be added when i get them, and maybe Gauntlet of power)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

TGambitG wrote:
4 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Chandra acquired the Goggles at some point, hoping to meet Jaya, and maybe return them to her.
Also Smoke
These two cards, running them in Commander is just being a dick. "You can't play the game" is always a dick move in a social format. cEDH, they're fine, but I don't feel they belong at the table in a 4 player game.
I don't see the problem with Smoke. It is similar to crawlspace, except it protects walkers and doesn't protect you from an alpha strike. It is one of the few ways red can dissuade attackers.
Jokulhaups can be pretty brutal, but I think it is a legitimate win condition in a planeswalker deck. If you have 3 planeswalkers out and cast Jokulhaups, the game should be over.

I am not advocating the play of this card in just any deck. But it destroys everything except for enchantments and planeswalkers... if you have a build focused on those card types it is worth playing.... just not as a way to reset the game.

I would compare it to Overwhelming Stampede. If you have a bunch of creatures out, it will win the game.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Gashnaw

So last Thursday i tested the deck and it was jank. I mean i had fun but there was no win condition (Aside form putting a bunch of emblems on opponents, but that was not gonna happen.)

So I am not looking for ways to wipe the board without using Jokulhaups or the like. I currently have Blasphemous act and Star of Extinction, also chain reaction and Chandra's Ignition (but i lack big creatures, Except Malignus.. So I am looking for suggestions. (I would also like to refrain form using Comet storm and Fireball as i rather use spells that are not as mana intensive.

Morganelefay

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

Since I play Chandra tribal myself I can tell you that without Jokulhaups, Obliterate and Decree of Annihilation you're not gonna win a lot. People can call it a dickmove but frankly if you allow me to have 5 Chandras and then resolve a Decree, then how is that different from one of the billions of other wincons?

One semi-boardwipe you could use is Shard Phoenix which helps cleaning away wide armies. Volcanic Vision is a great boardwipe and recursion piece in one go. Nevyinirral's Disk helps blow up the field and saves your Chandras but is timing restrained. If you can get haste going, Balefire Dragon is an option.
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

Gashnaw

Morganelefay wrote:
4 years ago
Since I play Chandra tribal myself I can tell you that without Jokulhaups, Obliterate and Decree of Annihilation you're not gonna win a lot. People can call it a dickmove but frankly if you allow me to have 5 Chandras and then resolve a Decree, then how is that different from one of the billions of other wincons?

One semi-boardwipe you could use is Shard Phoenix which helps cleaning away wide armies. Volcanic Vision is a great boardwipe and recursion piece in one go. Nevyinirral's Disk helps blow up the field and saves your Chandras but is timing restrained. If you can get haste going, Balefire Dragon is an option.
Using board wipes that destroy lands bother me. in mono red, it will be very difficult to bounce back.

Morganelefay

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Morganelefay wrote:
4 years ago

Using board wipes that destroy lands bother me. in mono red, it will be very difficult to bounce back.
There's no need to bounce back at that point. You have Chandras. They have absolutely nothing. You will win.
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

Gashnaw

Morganelefay wrote:
4 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Morganelefay wrote:
4 years ago

There's no need to bounce back at that point. You have Chandras. They have absolutely nothing. You will win.
True at that point I am all in, its a do or die at that point. If they can bounce back then i am screwed.

EDIT: star of extinction hist PWs. now i remember why i am not running it in this deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”