Quest for 32

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

I am sure we all get that moment when you just want to build 32 decks, one of each possible color combination, From Colorless to 5-color. Well I decided that I am going to lock in commanders to actually do it. i am still debating on some and have some empty slots left. (List in a minutes)

So what exactly am I looking for? Variety. I am not necessarily looking for straight up competitive (Though it is a plan) but i want decks that are fun to pilot in addition to being able to win. i could just build Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain again, as it did win rather quickly, but i had no fun playing it. If you are not enjoying the deck you are playing, why are you playing it?

Thus I have tried to branch out and pick commanders that are not all the same strategies. I have avoided (Best i can) to just avoid the most competitive generals out there (Some still are) and ones that seem like they would be fun to play. That said I still need help finishing the list. At the moment i have 12 Slots left. I could just list the colors, but i feel seeing the full list will show you what I am planning and maybe diversify a bit. Could also show (not sure if it will) what kind of playing I am, You may also be able to help be decide on teh ones i am still debating over. So Without further adu.

CKozilek, Butcher of Truth

W - Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
UAzami, Lady of Scrolls
BTergrid, God of Fright
RPurphoros, God of the Forge
G - Fynn, the Fangbearer

WUKwain, Itinerant Meddler
WBTeysa, Orzhov Scion
WRRograkh, Son of Rohgahh // Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist
WGRhys, the Redeemed
UBYuriko, the Tiger's Shadow
URNin, the Pain Artist
UG - Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle
BR - Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
BGSkullbriar, the Walking Grave
RGThromok, the Insatiable

GWUChulane, Teller of Tales
WUBSen Triplets
UBRAdmiral Beckett Brass
BRG - Yurlok of Scorch Thrash
RGW - Mayael the Anima

BGWGhave, Guru of spores
URW - Elsha of the Infinite
GUBArchelos, Lagoon Mystic
WBR - Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
URGMaelstrom Wanderer

UBRG - Thrasios, Triton Hero // Vial Smasher the Fierce
BRGW - Saskia, the Unyielding
RGWUOmnath, Locus of Creation
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice
WUBR - Breya, Etherium Shaper

WUBRGThe Ur-Dragon

As you may see, some decks are designed for Value, Combo, Aggro, Voltron or Tribal. So obviously it is varied quite a bit. I could just go straight up tribal for the rest, but i rather not. I have no control decks, so I need one or two of those, Esper sort of fits that bill and if i go Azami i have that too, but maybe one of the empty slots can run that type of deck. So looking for suggestions.

I should also mention i want to avoid decks that have a lot of overlap. I don't want to run Old Gnawbone Since Ghave is already running a lot of token doublers. I don't mind overlap, but having decks that will usually gather their own cards would be much nicer. Kwain is great, but Kami of the crescent moon will only work in that deck. I am not running him in each blue deck. That said, there are some cards that will be used in most if not all deck (Sol ring, Command Tower, etc. You know, EDH Staples)

Some of them, while may be locked in, not all are, i can be persuaded if the alternative is juicy enough. However, the ones highlighted in Yellow are locked in, they will not be changing.

Between Nin and Brudiclad, it was a long hard struggle to choose. i lands on Nin as, while i want to build brudiclad, several cards i need are way out of my price range (With Blightsteel and Dockside Extortionist on that list, in Canadian prices, Dockside is 89.99. For good reason but if i ever hope to purchase one they need a reprint. So I Decided to go for nin (should have been obvious though, I played Nin the night she was spoiled back in 2011, I had the deck with her as a Proxy to test it out. I should have just gone back to her regardless of other options)
Last edited by Gashnaw 2 years ago, edited 16 times in total.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

If i were to pick the most unique - yet strong - ones, here's what i would go with, if i were you:

W - Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
UOrvar, the All-Form or Bruvac the Grandiloquent
BGisa, Glorious Resurrector or Tergrid, God of Fright
RZada, Hedron Grinder
G - Gargos, Vicious Watcher or Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma

WGGaddock Teeg (damn, the options suck so bad)

WBLiesa, Shroud of Dusk
BGChatterfang, Squirrel General or Slimefoot, the Stowaway
UG - Volo, Guide to Monsters (uniqueness > power)

UBRMarchesa, the Black Rose
RGW - Atla Palani, Nest Tender or Samut, Voice of Dissent
GWUTuvasa the Sunlit or Galea, Kindler of Hope

RWU - Sevinne, the Chronoclasm
WBR - Alesha, Who Smiles at Death or Ghen, Arcanum Weaver

WUBR - Vial Smasher the Fierce & Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix
UBRG - Saskia the Unyielding
BRGW - Kraum, Ludevic's Opus & Tymna the Weaver

For most possible commanders i am not too invested, but i'd be kinda sad, if you wouldn't go for Zada, Hedron Grinder. It's just such an fun, crazy and unique commander. (Aside from multicolored Zada, Hedron Grinder abusers, duh)

ps. I did sort the color combinations a bit further. Pseudo-OCD kicking in
pps. I am not too familiar with the overall Partner roster, so i didn't suggest many combinations of them

Gashnaw

Toshi wrote:
2 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
If i were to pick the most unique - yet strong - ones, here's what i would go with, if i were you:

W - Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
UOrvar, the All-Form or Bruvac the Grandiloquent
BGisa, Glorious Resurrector or Tergrid, God of Fright
RZada, Hedron Grinder
G - Gargos, Vicious Watcher or Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma

WGGaddock Teeg (damn, the options suck so bad)

WBLiesa, Shroud of Dusk
BGChatterfang, Squirrel General or Slimefoot, the Stowaway
UG - Volo, Guide to Monsters (uniqueness > power)

UBRMarchesa, the Black Rose
RGW - Atla Palani, Nest Tender or Samut, Voice of Dissent
GWUTuvasa the Sunlit or Galea, Kindler of Hope

RWU - Sevinne, the Chronoclasm
WBR - Alesha, Who Smiles at Death or Ghen, Arcanum Weaver

WUBR - Vial Smasher the Fierce & Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix
UBRG - Saskia the Unyielding
BRGW - Kraum, Ludevic's Opus & Tymna the Weaver

For most possible commanders i am not too invested, but i'd be kinda sad, if you wouldn't go for Zada, Hedron Grinder. It's just such an fun, crazy and unique commander. (Aside from multicolored Zada, Hedron Grinder abusers, duh)

ps. I did sort the color combinations a bit further. Pseudo-OCD kicking in
pps. I am not too familiar with the overall Partner roster, so i didn't suggest many combinations of them
I chunk of them did appeal to me so i added them. granted they are not set in stone but they do appeal. Theh Blue are not changing, while i appreciate teh feedback, i know it is going be one of the two listed. same with red and Izzet.

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

For mono white may I recommend Darien, King of Kjeldor? I used to refer to my old build as the "blackest white deck". I have played a bunch of mono-black decks that trade life for benefit and it was novel to be doing the same thing in mono-white. I also had a soldier tribal deck in high school, during the onslaught era, and that was very nostalgic for me.

For green maybe give Fynn, the Fangbearer a shot? He looks cheap to build. I have had my eye on the deck for a while since it looks different.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 2 years ago

Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
She's quite unique, and plays completely differently from anything on your list. Technically tribal, but really not. Slow, methodical white control.

Mayael the Anima
Big fat beats that command the board. Ramp and freecast Blazing Archon, Ruric Thar, the Unbowed, Zacama, Primal Calamity, Godsire, etc.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Gashnaw

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
2 years ago
Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
She's quite unique, and plays completely differently from anything on your list. Technically tribal, but really not. Slow, methodical white control.

Mayael the Anima
Big fat beats that command the board. Ramp and freecast Blazing Archon, Ruric Thar, the Unbowed, Zacama, Primal Calamity, Godsire, etc.
white i was thinking elesh-norn

Gashnaw

Gamazson wrote:
2 years ago
For green maybe give Fynn, the Fangbearer a shot? He looks cheap to build. I have had my eye on the deck for a while since it looks different.
I like

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”