void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL August Signups/Round 1

"Magic of the Kami"

Footsteps of the Goryo, taken from echomtg, by Chippy and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Maligned Mechanics Month here at the CCL. We will be seeing how best to fix mechanical themes that were not very successful.

Challenge
Design an Arcane instant or sorcery card with a splice ability.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • This can be any version of splice: The original splice onto Arcane, the newer splice onto instant or sorcery from Modern Horizons, or something altogether different.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Sunday, August 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (August 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due August 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 30th)
  • Final (September, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bump.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Violent Lightning 2R
Sorcery - Arcane (U)
Violent Lightning deals 3 damage to any target.
Splice onto red instant 3R (As you cast a red instant spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Most recent thread: Round 1. Design deadline on the 8th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Kami's Insight U
Instant - Arcane {U}
Scry 2, then create a Clue token.
Splice onto Arcane 2U (As you cast an Arcane spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Enchant Lightning RWB
Instant - Arcane (Rare)
Deathtouch, lifelink
Enchant Lightning deals 3 damage to any target.
Splice onto instant 2RWB
Last edited by netn10 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Reconsider U
Instant - Arcane (U)
Scry 1.
Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
Splice onto Arcane UU (As you cast an Arcane spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Undeniable Madness U
Sorcery - Arcane (R)
Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
Each player draws a card, then each opponent discards a card.
Splice onto sorcery 1U

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Bountiful Beyond 1gww
Sorcery - Arcane(r)
If this spell's name is Bountiful Beyond, create a white 1/1 Spirit creature token with flying and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Populate and proliferate.
Splice onto instant or sorcery 1gw (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
Last edited by Henlock 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Scholarly Pursuits
Sorcery — Arcane (Uncommon)
Splice onto Lesson 1 (As you cast a Lesson spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
Learn (You may reveal a Lesson card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand, or discard a card to draw a card.)
"For every answer, ten more questions."
—Quintorius, Lorehold mage-student

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Extending this round for another day.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Gifts of the Oni 1B
Instant - Arcane (Uncommon)
Target creature gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
Splice onto Arcane 2B
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, I'm closing this round. Please critique each other contestant and provide a top 3. The second round will come very soon!

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Kami's Insight U
Instant - Arcane {U}
Splice onto Arcane 2U (As you cast an Arcane spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
Nice, simple, and elegant. The power level could be relevant, an easy comparison is Preordain, banned in Modern. This card trades having to pay two mana to draw the card (downside) with the splice ability (upside). Strong start.
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Enchant Lightning RWB
Instant - Arcane (Rare)
Deathtouch, lifelink
Splice onto instant 2RWB
This is similar to my own submission, and I thought of changing my card when I first saw this posted, but then I decided against it considering that the only thing our cards have in common is dealing three damage to any target. Mine is monored, has a technically different splice ability and it doesn't have the keywords. It's nice to see these keywords on a non-permanent spell, there is precedent but it's something we see rarely today. Too rarely in my opinion. There only one thing I don't like here: the name, that feels like the enchant ability of an enchantment, which this is not. Reminder text for splice is missing.
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Reconsider U
Instant - Arcane (U)
Scry 1.
Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
Splice onto Arcane UU (As you cast an Arcane spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
Another pair of cards that feel similar, this and RaikouRider's. They both scry, though for a different amount, and have the same splice ability. Rebound makes this very different though, and being able to give rebound to any spell is very relevant. It's probably good that the splice ability only hits Arcane spells, also because it makes sure that rebound doesn't just go on any non-permanent spell. Rebound doesn't go on permanents. I don't even know what it would do on a permanent.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Undeniable Madness U
Sorcery - Arcane (R)
Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
Splice onto sorcery 1U
The most relevant interaction I see here is giving split second to any sorcery, which is at the very least strong and scary at worst, in my opinion. I feel like this card is less cohesive than the others I've reviewed so far, but it's just a feeling. The abilities feel like separate things, three ones that just happen to be together with no real synergy, but it might easily just be me though. Reminder text for splice is missing.
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Bountiful Beyond 1gww
Sorcery - Arcane(r)
If this spell's name is Bountiful Beyond, create a white 1/1 Spirit creature token with flying and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Splice onto instant or sorcery 1gw (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
At first I wondered why to check the name of the spell, then I understood it's to prevent the first ability from having its effect when spliced on another spell. Original, that's for sure, but a bit unintuitive in my opinion. Why have a splice spell where a part of it doesn't work when spliced? I feel like this is a thing that's there just for the sake of novelty. The rest of the card is fine, I would have just included reminder text for the keywords.
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Scholarly Pursuits
Splice onto Lesson 1 (As you cast a Lesson spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
Learn (You may reveal a Lesson card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand, or discard a card to draw a card.)
I think I'm in love with this card. It makes you learn from any lesson, which is a very flavorful thing to do. It feels at home in Lorehold, and has very good (and true) flavor text, by my favorite character in Strixhaven. Seriously, I can't say anything bad about this card. Excellent job.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Gifts of the Oni 1B
Instant - Arcane (Uncommon)
Splice onto Arcane 2B
We've already seen similar cards, where an ability giving a P/T bonus is repeated as is multiple times so you can choose different targets, or the same target, every time. I can't remember the names of those cards, I think one was in a Ravnica set in Selesnya, maybe another one in Alara? If you have enough mana, this can potentially remove any targetable creature by splicing multiple times, and then maybe casting it for good measure. Elegant and with interesting implications. Reminder text for splice is missing.
Very difficult choice this round, I wish I could vote for everybody.

Top 3

1st place: Subject16
2nd place: slimytrout
3rd place: RaikouRider
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Most recent thread: Round 1. Design deadline on the 8th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Splice onto red instant is new, but the effect is hardly revolutionary, and the cost is substantial -- unless you're in a format where Lightning Bolt is legal, you're going to be paying a lot of mana to cast a spell and also splice. I can definitely imagine this getting printed, but it doesn't really excite me.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Feels a little tame, and not exactly doing anything revolutionary. Much more useful as a cheap arcane spell to splice onto than as something you want to repeatedly splice.
netn10
Show
Hide
The name is... bad. An instant spell should not have "enchant" in the name unless it has something to do with enchantments, which this does not. The effect is quite cool though -- giving your other damage spells deathtouch and lifelink is fun! I do worry that it's *very* pushed, especially since it can be spliced onto any instant -- this plus Dual Shot is a 6-mana triple kill spell (plus gain 5 life), plus you get to keep the Lightning.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Split second is a cool choice, although it is a little bit of an "unfun" mechanic for a lot of people, since it prevents any interaction with it. I'm sure there are crazy things you can do with this since it can be used on any sorcery, although split second probably won't matter against a lot of your opponents.
Henlock
Show
Hide
So for 4 mana you get at least a 2/2 flier and a 1/1 flier, which is strong but hardly busted. If you're splicing it, you don't get any upfront value but you do get to repeatedly p&p. The real next level move is splicing this onto another copy of itself -- it's an expensive play at 7 mana, but the base effect is a 3/3 flier, a 2/2 flier, and two 1/1 fliers, and then you still get to cast the second one next turn. The limiting effect is a bit clunky, but I can see why it helps with balance.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Now this is fun! A definite MH card (combining two different instant and sorcery subtypes is a bit strange -- this card definitely suffered from the requirement that the card itself be Arcane). But very cool to allow you to keep stringing together lessons if you can afford to pay 2 more for each one.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
If you spliced this onto a targeted spell, it would be quite a lot of targets to keep track of. A bit clunky to see repeated text like that, but does allow you to give one creature +2/-2. I think it might have been more elegant as a "choose one: target creature gets +2/-2 or two target creatures each get +1/-1," but that's a minor quibble. Ultimately, it's not doing anything super new, but is very functional.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. Ink-Treader
3. Henlock

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Giving this a bump for critiques.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Violent Lightning 2R
Sorcery - Arcane (U)
Violent Lightning deals 3 damage to any target.
Splice onto red instant 3R (As you cast a red instant spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
obv damage is a pretty generic effect. I don't understand why this car is a sorcery but splices only onto instants
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Kami's Insight U
Instant - Arcane {U}
Really nicely balanced effect bc the card draw requires extra mana... clues don't seem like a Kamigawa mechanic tho
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Enchant Lightning RWB
Instant - Arcane (Rare)
Deathtouch, lifelink
Splice onto instant 2RWB
Whoa nice, this is interesting design space... base card might be too strong but i love this spliced onto Fault Line lol
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Reconsider U
Instant - Arcane (U)
Scry 1.
Kind of a combo of the past 2 cards lol, both scry and adding a keyword to a spell. Rebound for 2 mana might be too strong
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Undeniable Madness U
Sorcery - Arcane (R)
Splice onto sorcery 1U
Another keyword adder lol. Split second is very strong, at least this is for sorceries only
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Bountiful Beyond 1gww
Sorcery - Arcane(r)
Hmm being more powerful if cast and not spliced is interesting. I like the whole design really
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Scholarly Pursuits
Pretty parasitic design. Learning infinitely seems like it could get broken or at least too consistent
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 henlock
2 ink-treader
3 netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
A sorcery that only splices onto instants is intriguing. I do think this could have been an instant itself. The splice cost is high, but fair considering how strong Lightning Bolt is.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Feels like it sits between Opt and Preordain, and seems quite solid even without the splice. Splicing only onto Arcane is limiting, but the card is good enough on its own that it doesn't feel too bad.
netn10
Show
Hide
Name feels rather flavorless, but it's a fine escalation of Lightning Helix. Splice is high, but reasonable considering how annoying a repeatable 6 life point swing + potential removal is.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Underwhelming at base, but potentially a lot of fun with the right Arcane spell.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Certainly one way to push some power into the base effect without making the splice too strong. a 3/3 and a 1/1 flier is alright as a base. Can definitely escalate beyond. but keywords that require something else to function properly does feel safe for splicing.
Subject16
Show
Hide
This is a very cute card. Base is quite weak, but the splice is reasonable enough.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Potentially a 2 for one that can be stapled to any Arcane, but again, Arcane is a pretty potent limitation. Base effect is solid enough.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. Henlock
3. Subject16

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

just top

1. subject16
2 Kwanyegor
3. slimytrout

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Sadly can only do top 3s as this has been a very busy week.
1) Henlock
2) Ink-Treader
3) Subject16

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”