[UB][SL] MTG x Stranger Things Secret Lair

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

So, the next UB secret lair has been announced, and it's a kinda appropriate one: Stranger Things.

This will be the first secret lair to be encompassed by the new printing rules they've made, so expect the MTG equivalents of it to show up in Set Boosters about six months after its release.

And as Gavin Verhey stressed in today's Good Morning Magic episode (it is included in the article), they want to see how it pans out, but they will reprint them (the MTG versions) in future products as well if they feel the need (or they fit the product in question).

Linkies.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

*insert Steve Buscemi "Greetings, Fellow Kids" GIF*
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

I, uh - I can't say I get it. Is there really a non-Magic audience for this product? A lot of people are turned off by the "live-action TV show, set in modern Earth but with some fantastical elements, turned M:tG" bit, which was true for SL:TWD and true here as well.

The one thing that amuses me is that we could technically have distinct versions of "Demogorgon" in this set and in a DnD set.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
I, uh - I can't say I get it. Is there really a non-Magic audience for this product?
I told my friend about this and he was stoked about the LOTR cards. I know it's anedoctal but he hasnt played magic in almost a decade. I think there is a collectible market for it. Cardboard funko pops

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
I told my friend about this and he was stoked about the LOTR cards. I know it's anedoctal but he hasnt played magic in almost a decade. I think there is a collectible market for it. Cardboard funko pops
I'm excited for the LotR stuff too, because, for lack of a better term, it just goes with Magic. People have been making LotR custom cards probably since Alpha, and Arda fits with the vibe of M:tG. Characters like Gandalf and Galadriel just make sense as powerful legends. Same goes for WH40k. Even though it's set in the far future in outer space, it still has elves, orcs, demonic gods, and psychic powers approximating magic.

I'm just questioning the appeal of "Magic x Prestige television show set in the real world in the recent past".
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
I'm just questioning the appeal of "Magic x Prestige television show set in the real world in the recent past".
People have been clamoring for a modern (as in our time) version of MTG ever since Hecatomb was canceled and we learned that in the last set they developed (but never released) there was a card for Yawgmoth. These Secret Lairs scratch that itch for some people.

Also, people have been making custom cards for their favorite TV shows for literally decades by now. Lol.
I've seen cards made for Power Rangers, Star Trek, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer among others.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”