Mystic Reflection and Gods

Ardeyn
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ardeyn » 3 years ago

If I cast a God such as Athreos, Shroud-Veiled with five devotion to W/B already on my board and an opponent casts a Mystic Reflection in response targeting their Birds of Paradise, will Athreos enter as a copy of the birds?
This seems to not be the case on MTG Arena, which leaves me a bit confused.

Ardeyn

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 3 years ago
No, not in that case they won't. If you already had 7 devotion to White/Black then Athreos would be entering as a Creature and would then be a Bird. But, because replacement effects need to look ahead, and Reflection is a replacement effect, it does so and see that if Athreos were on the field *right now* it wouldn't be a creature (because *right now* you only have 5 devotion; it doesn't count itself in this). So, it doesn't enter as a creature so Reflection has nothing to apply to. Then, after it enters, it is a creature as normal since its own devotion will apply.
Go to full post
"A single spark of passion can change a man forever."

WizardMN
Answers: 128
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

No, not in that case they won't. If you already had 7 devotion to White/Black then Athreos would be entering as a Creature and would then be a Bird. But, because replacement effects need to look ahead, and Reflection is a replacement effect, it does so and see that if Athreos were on the field *right now* it wouldn't be a creature (because *right now* you only have 5 devotion; it doesn't count itself in this). So, it doesn't enter as a creature so Reflection has nothing to apply to. Then, after it enters, it is a creature as normal since its own devotion will apply.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”