What are some of your misses?

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

I'm not a finance guy. Nor am I a good evaluator of cards. That being said I like to snag cards I think arent being valued properly. The hobby helping fund itself is nice and I have had hits in the past.

But seeing my mistakes I found a commom denominator, lets see if you guys can see what :thinking:

Bone Picker ok, this has got to be the new and improved Delver, right? 1 mana reliable. Every time I would pick a card online Id get all I could I always thought it was one brew away from being 10x more valuable.

Gnarlwood Dryad I was pretty sure this would be a 3/3 deathtouch for G. I was playing standard at the time and every time I prized Id get all they had. This had legacy potential!

Stormwing Entity do I even have to tell the story? Flying, prowess scry 2 3/3 for 1U? It even got some hype in prowess strategies. Yea it did not pan out.

How about you? Ever grabbed cards hoping for the best and failed miserably?

SquirrelToken
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by SquirrelToken » 3 years ago

Talara's Battalion is probably my biggest "I spent money trying hard to make this be a thing and it is definitely not a thing". Love the art, love the attempt, but every time I build a deck it always ends up on the cutting room floor.

I feel you on Gnarlwood Dryad. I have my foil playset tucked away, because eventually it will be good. Someday.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

buying 20+ Kitesail Freebooter, that is back when humans are the new hot stuff in modern. Thankfully, it did not cost me much, because card is cheap.

also buying almost a dozen claim // fame, because I thought Shadow decks would make the card super expensive.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

duducrash wrote:
3 years ago
Stormwing Entity do I even have to tell the story? Flying, prowess scry 2 3/3 for 1U? It even got some hype in prowess strategies. Yea it did not pan out.
looks like it has panned out now at 6-7 dollars each. It's part of the currently popular, and competitive Izzet Blitz decks in modern.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Yep! Gnarlwood Dryad seems like almost good too,l now that there are Delirium decks in modern.

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

Gnarlwood Dryad is one of those cards that looked like it should be good because it mirrors Nimble Mongoose, which was good.

But Mongoose hasn't actually been great in a while. It got reprinted into Modern in Modern Horizons and has shown up in exactly zero notable decks ever (per mtgtop8). There's been one Legacy RUG Delver list this year that packed a set, but that was prior to Modern Horizons 2 which put both Ragavan and Dragon's Rage Channeller into competition with it at the one drop slot.

And Shroud is almost certainly better than Deathtouch on this kind of creature, because Dryad still dies to Bolt and a dozen other removal spells. The relative merits of Threshold vs Delirium can be debated, but you don't want to overload on too many of either effect because it makes your deck more vulnerable to graveyard hate, and you generally want to pack some number of Delve spells in these kind of shells as well.

DRC being printed is really the nail in the coffin for Dryad. If you do want a 3/3 Delirium one drop, DRC is miles better between evasion and the surveil ability, and red is generally better for these kinds of lists than green is because you get stuff like Bolts while green only offers creatures and maybe Traverse the Ulvenwald.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Finance”