Madcap Experiment and other artifact polymorphs

Calcifer
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Calcifer » 3 years ago

I'm both fascinated and confounded by madcap experiment, it offers both promise if you design your deck around it. It also offers danger, which can be just as compelling if you like to play with fire. Now, audacious reshapers is the latest in this line along with reweave, shape anew, reality scramble, indomitable creativity, and dreamshaper shaman. My problem is finding targets that are tempting enough to build around.

So my question is, what artifacts are best to get with these effects? What are you willing to risk your life total for? For additional context, I'm considering Toralf, God of Fury // Toralf's Hammer as a commander since it's the cheapest artifact in the zone, though Codie, Vociferous Codex or Firesong and Sunspeaker could helm this as well.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

I'll call out Galazeth Prismari as another option in the command zone, whom also happens to be blinkable.

For Madcap Experiment and Audacious Reshapers in particular, Platinum Emperion and Platinum Angel are both pretty good considerations, as ways to not die to the massive amount of damage you may be taking. That said, they don't exactly win the game on their own, so just cheating them out seems questionable.

As for other options... Mindslaver, Ugin's Nexus, Blightsteel Colossus, Chromatic Orrery, Planar Bridge, and God-Pharaoh's Statue all seem interesting. Spine of Ish Sah may also be worth consideration as a recurrable artifact to transmute.

If you dip into black, Bolas's Citadel is probably the strongest single card to cheat out. Not a great combo with Madcap Experiment though.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Madcap into Platinum Emperion is a popular Canadian Highlander interaction, but it loses its appeal in multiplayer.

I actually think the best plan in commander with these kinds of cards is to build around topdeck manipulation, which you can keep on theme with artifacts like Sensei's Divining Top and Scroll Rack - or for us poors, Mystic Forge, Crystal Ball, Seer's Lantern, etc.

Phyrexian Devourer + something that lets you see the top card is a nifty one because you can stack activations.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

There are combinations of artifacts that you can either use to outright win.
So you could go Grindstone/Painter's Servant or Rings of Brighthearth/Basalt Monolith/Sensei's Divining Top for combo wins.
Darksteel Forge/Nevinyrral's Disk and then even add Mycosynth Lattice into the mix.
However these lines of play get really boring real quick.

For more fun stuff Sunforger is a potential option. Firesong and Sunspeaker makes good use out of spells like Lightning Helix.
Pyromancer's Goggles is another very underrated card for spell slinging. Primal Amulet // Primal Wellspring for a similar idea.
Aetherflux Reservoir to go with this concept.

You could go a reanimation theme with Whip of Erebos and/or The Cauldron of Eternity with Altar of Dementia and Mesmeric Orb.

Chromatic Orrery and Sphinx of the Guildpact could be pretty fun. Maybe even add Manifold Key as a way to untap Chromatic Orrery so that you easily have the mana to draw.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”