[STX] Strixhaven Pioneer Discussion

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

feels like we should have a thread for the new set. :)

so let's discuss

@robertleva

this is a reply to your Shadrix post in State of Pioneer thread.

https://mythicspoiler.com/stx/cards/sha ... quill.html

yeah, he does look strong. But requires careful deckbuilding.

it feels like we often want the phyrexian arena effect or the token, while giving the opponent the counters.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

I would think we want him cranking out tokens, giving the opponent counters yes. In theory we keep their board clean because its a BW deck full of board sweepers and such. Or you are RBW and using Nahiri...

I could brew around this dragon I think.

Pro's:
-Immune to Fatal Push
-Practically immune to red removal at 5 toughness
-Get a token right away, making it a 2 for 1 and counting
-Creates a board of it's own or pushes an existing board over the top

Con's
-Is a creature
-Giving opponent modes can be awkward
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

the immediate problem I see is if the opponent is a fast swarm strategy.. like goblins or a token deck of some sort, giving their creatures +1/+1 counters would be dangerous. Sideboard need to have sweepers that kill small creatures, but does not kill Shadrix.

orzhov color looking strong. Maybe more support cards would be revealed later.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

You can always opt out of the effect alltogether so you never have to worry about helping the other guy too much. Every time you let the effect happen you set it up so it favors you.
Robert Leva

robertleva

This is playable.

Straight away any card with Learn needs to be looked at. There are enough useful lessons spoiled at this point that Learn is a solid 2 for 1 mechanic.
Robert Leva

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

learn is definitely gonna be good. Are the enemy colour show me lands/this half of the shadows lands gonna be okay or they just too bad?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

"outside the game", means the sideboard, right? Can get a powerful learn card, or maybe have a little filtering by discarding a card and draw.

robertleva

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
learn is definitely gonna be good. Are the enemy colour show me lands/this half of the shadows lands gonna be okay or they just too bad?
Enemy show lands dont really ping my radar. Nice to have but no impact. When this set drops we will see all formats finding ways to use Learn to best effect. Some new decks may arise but I see Learn adding versatility to a ton of decks without sacrificing that most precious of resources: deck space.
Robert Leva

motleyslayer

yeah the show lands are more something nice to have rather than something that will impact much. Learn is super interesting, especially because it adds to versatility by making a wishboard you can really tailor, with what looks like little cost

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

are there more cards with Learn, or is that the only one revealed right now?

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
are there more cards with Learn, or is that the only one revealed right now?
They've also revealed Guiding Voice, Rise of Extus, Pop Quiz, Professor of Symbology, and a few others. Most of them appear to be a bit niche, but Learn is strong, so....

robertleva

I think Pop Quiz is another playable. 3cc instant that draws you 2 cards, one of them being from the wish board. Yeah.
Robert Leva

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Pop Quiz seems fairly costed. u for cantrip, and 2 for tutoring something useful.

and I'm surprised it's just a commoon.

robertleva

Strict Proctor Is an important card to Pioneer because we do not have Torpor Orb effects.

Go Blank seems playable. Lorehold Excavation seems possibly playable in some kind of control shell.
Robert Leva

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

used crypt incursion as sideboard against Living End and other yard decks that used creatures in modern. With the lower power level of pioneer, Go Blank looks playable, and it exiles the entire yard, not just creatures.

motleyslayer

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
Strict Proctor Is an important card to Pioneer because we do not have Torpor Orb effects.

Go Blank seems playable. Lorehold Excavation seems possibly playable in some kind of control shell.
I'm really excited for Strict Proctor and will be picking up foil copies of Go Blank in case it's good

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

proctor does look like a good investment. There might be a strong deck with many citp abilities later in this format.

not sure about the excavation. 2cmc makes it easier to cast though... maybe an alt win con for a pillowfort style deck? Assuming the opponent has no way to deal with it - multiple excavations can stack the damage up quickly.

@drmarkb

interested to hear your opinion on excavation. :)

robertleva

Solid sideboard for boros or uwr.
Robert Leva

robertleva

Another playable. This lesson is main-deckable even.
Robert Leva

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

usable lesson indeed. It's sort of similar to Skyclave Apparition..

robertleva

Merchant Scroll for Pioneer. This seems fairly costed since it has no color restriction, and is on par with the other tutors.
Robert Leva

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

merchant scroll is 2 cmc, but could only search for blue spells, and only instants. For an additional 1, Solve the Equation can search for any color instant or sorcery. Fair enough, I'll take it.

robertleva

New staple for mono black aggro here. Even control shells can look at this because:

1. It's a flyer so it cannot be ignored for it's damage value
2. Learn is especially powerful in black, in my opinion. Black lacks filtering and Learn is the best kind of filtering / card advantage.
Robert Leva

PeaceRibbon
Creature - Human Student

Post by PeaceRibbon » 3 years ago

If I commit to this format I gotta say, turn 1 Clever Lumimancer into turn 2 Arrester's Zeal + some other 1 cost card is hilarious enough to make me want to try a Magecraft-Addendum build.

robertleva

Playable, really nice spell here.
Robert Leva

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Pioneer”