The Necrobloom: Datura stramonium

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 day ago

Have you seen this %$#%?

A probable Magic card printed in this foul year of Our Lord, two-thousand and twenty four. I had sort of taken a break from the game months ago, but then I see this and throw together what is ultimately the combination of two decks I've been tinkering with over the years: grindy Abzan midrange and Lands.

Datura stramonium

Commander:

Tokens: 2

Approximate Total Cost:

The general idea of the deck is to just be a grindy midrange Abzan lands deck, slowly building your manabase and sculpting your hand, boardstate, and graveyard towards the ultimate goal of comboing out.

There isn't a real A+B combo here. That's not to say it's nondeterministic, either, at least not in the way Storm is. Generally speaking, the idea is to shift your lands between play and the graveyard to produce infinite or near infinite landfall triggers, and win from there. To do this, you're going to want a way to sacrifice your lands, recur those lands, some way to sustain the costs, and a payoff or two.

Land Sacrifice:
Squandered Resources
Zuran Orb
Sylvan Safekeeper
Constant Mists

Recursion:
Splendid Reclamation
Aftermath Analyst
World Shaper
Shigeki, Jukai Visionary
Seasons Past

Payoff:
Retreat to Hagra
Dread Presence
Field of the Dead
The Necrobloom
Scute Swarm
Felidar Retreat
The Meathook Massacre

Spelunking helps our lands come into play untapped, which helps with mana costs when comboing out, as Nissa, Resurgent Animist does in a similar way (and she finds Analyst, the only other Elf).

Once the cycle has concluded, you drain everyone out with Retreat, Presence, or killing your own massive army of tokens with Meathook.

Beyond that, typical Abzan stuff. Slow the game down, survive, and then combo out. You don't even need to combo out with this deck since running the table over with zombies again and again is also completely valid.

Here's a fun example combo line.

With The Necrobloom available in the command zone, Spelunking, Zuran Orb, and a lot of lands in play including Hall of Heliod's Generosity and any cycling land, with Splendid Reclamation and Shigeki, Jukai Visionary in hand.

1) Tap lands for mana
2) Sac lands to Zuran Orb
3) Cast Splendid Reclamation
4) Return lands to play untapped, including Hall of Heliod's Generosity and Tranquil Thicket
5) Tap Thicket for mana before saccing it
6) Channel Shigeki, Jukai Visionary returning at least Reclamation and Thicket
7) Activate Hall, putting Shigeki back on top of my library
8) Cycle Thicket, drawing Shigeki
9) Assuming we're mana positive at this point, we can repeat this cycle and generate infinite mana
10) Cast The Necrobloom at some point to generate infinite tokens and mill with Dredge and Thicket/Shigeki/Hall
11) Channel Shigeki to return The Meathook Massacre
12) Meathook for X=2, killing your tokens and wiping the table

The deck sort of reminds me of Doomsday in a sense. Lots and lots of avenues to win and combo out.

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 day ago

Much like DH's deck Earthcraft is probably superior to Spelunking most of the time; it's a ton more value outside of the combo, even at the "downside" of having to fish out a forest. which you likely want to do most of the time anyway. It's true that Spelunking doesn't technically require creatures, but it also does very little work until you're comboing (adding maybe 1-2 mana a turn).

Hall of Heliod's Generosity is such sick, sick tech with Shigeki, Jukai Visionary -- I had forgotten he was an enchantment. Good call. That and the Volrath's Stronghold loops are a really interesting use of Spelunking for sure so maybe a reason to keep it in :D

--

I think you'll find Retreat to Hagra and Dread Presence to be unnecessarily much. They don't do enough on their own. I think you want combo outlets that have other effects.

I'm not sure exactly what but I think just...finding The Meathook Massacre is probably fine, but alternatively Finale of Devastation is a super easy one to turn infinite creatures into death.

--

I have been like, legitimately stunned by how good Blossoming Tortoise is. It's just so damn chill people leave it alone.

--

And finally I think Enlightened Tutor or Worldly Tutor likely outperform Grim Tutor most of the time.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 day ago

pokken wrote:
1 day ago
Much like DH's deck Earthcraft is probably superior to Spelunking most of the time; it's a ton more value outside of the combo, even at the "downside" of having to fish out a forest. which you likely want to do most of the time anyway. It's true that Spelunking doesn't technically require creatures, but it also does very little work until you're comboing (adding maybe 1-2 mana a turn).

Hall of Heliod's Generosity is such sick, sick tech with Shigeki, Jukai Visionary -- I had forgotten he was an enchantment. Good call. That and the Volrath's Stronghold loops are a really interesting use of Spelunking for sure so maybe a reason to keep it in :D
I don't own Earthcraft and I think Spelunking has just a handful more uses overall. Having your lands come into play untapped is a huge plus for these kinds of decks. I played a Search for Blex deck with Reshape the Earth that played out somewhat similarly, using Stone-Seeder Hierophant and Cabal Coffers to do obscene things, and a bottleneck in the combo was lands coming into play tapped. It's a big lubricant.
I think you'll find Retreat to Hagra and Dread Presence to be unnecessarily much. They don't do enough on their own. I think you want combo outlets that have other effects.

I'm not sure exactly what but I think just...finding The Meathook Massacre is probably fine, but alternatively Finale of Devastation is a super easy one to turn infinite creatures into death.
Dread Presence also draws cards, and the deck is very light on card draw at the moment. I 100% concede that Hagra is essentially just a combo piece, though, and I don't like it. I'm a big fan of redundancies in combos, but they do quickly hit the point of diminishing returns. I could see cutting Hagra for Finale, since Finale grabs so many combo pieces and doubles as a win condition.
I have been like, legitimately stunned by how good Blossoming Tortoise is. It's just so damn chill people leave it alone.
I think it's too slow here. If I was grindier, sure, but these decks tend to snowball before exploding.
And finally I think Enlightened Tutor or Worldly Tutor likely outperform Grim Tutor most of the time.
I need redundancy for Demonic Tutor in Seasons Past loops as a tutor that puts the card directly into hand instead of on top of my library incase I don't have a cycling land or something. Maybe? It's pretty niche either way. Perhaps Diabolic Intent as a middle ground?

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 day ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 day ago
I need redundancy for Demonic Tutor in Seasons Past loops as a tutor that puts the card directly into hand instead of on top of my library incase I don't have a cycling land or something. Maybe? It's pretty niche either way. Perhaps Diabolic Intent as a middle ground?
I'd consider Hoarding Broodlord as well as it can often be free due to zombies and then the spell can be free. Worth a try anyway :D Not probably "great" but maybe more fun.

Entomb might also do the job most of the time?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”