Elderfang Venom and Hooded Blightfang

Nimbaway
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Nimbaway » 3 years ago

Hello,
I was being curious towards the interaction between Elderfang Venom and Hooded Blightfang, as in does Hooded Blightfang trigger when I attack with elves while Elderfang Venom is on the battlefield? I'm inclined to believe it does due to Elderfang Venom's wording, as it states that elves have deathtouch opposed to gain deathtouch. I wanted to be sure, since I'm fairly sure you can't stack triggers with these two cards

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 3 years ago
Nimbaway wrote:
3 years ago
Hello,
I was being curious towards the interaction between Elderfang Venom and Hooded Blightfang, as in does Hooded Blightfang trigger when I attack with elves while Elderfang Venom is on the battlefield?
Yes, the "Whenever a creature you control with deathtouch attacks, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life." ability will trigger for each creature you control with deathtouch that attacks.
508. Declare Attackers Step
508.1. First, the active player declares attackers. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack. To declare attackers, the active player follows the steps below, in order. If at any point during the declaration of attackers, the active player is unable to comply with any of the steps listed below, the declaration is illegal; the game returns to the moment before the declaration (see rule 723, "Handling Illegal Actions").
508.1k Each chosen creature still controlled by the active player becomes an attacking creature. It remains an attacking creature until it's removed from combat or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. See rule 506.4.
508.1m Any abilities that trigger on attackers being declared trigger.
Nimbaway wrote:
3 years ago
I'm inclined to believe it does due to Elderfang Venom's wording, as it states that elves have deathtouch opposed to gain deathtouch.
It says "have" as opposed to "gain" because it is a static ability rather than a resolving effect.
Nimbaway wrote:
3 years ago
I wanted to be sure, since I'm fairly sure you can't stack triggers with these two cards
What do you mean "can't stack triggers"? Each of their triggered abilities uses the stack, after triggering for every time the trigger event took place.
Go to full post

Argus
Answers: 53

Post by Argus » 3 years ago

Nimbaway wrote:
3 years ago
Hello,
I was being curious towards the interaction between Elderfang Venom and Hooded Blightfang, as in does Hooded Blightfang trigger when I attack with elves while Elderfang Venom is on the battlefield?
Yes, the "Whenever a creature you control with deathtouch attacks, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life." ability will trigger for each creature you control with deathtouch that attacks.
508. Declare Attackers Step
508.1. First, the active player declares attackers. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack. To declare attackers, the active player follows the steps below, in order. If at any point during the declaration of attackers, the active player is unable to comply with any of the steps listed below, the declaration is illegal; the game returns to the moment before the declaration (see rule 723, "Handling Illegal Actions").
508.1k Each chosen creature still controlled by the active player becomes an attacking creature. It remains an attacking creature until it's removed from combat or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. See rule 506.4.
508.1m Any abilities that trigger on attackers being declared trigger.
Nimbaway wrote:
3 years ago
I'm inclined to believe it does due to Elderfang Venom's wording, as it states that elves have deathtouch opposed to gain deathtouch.
It says "have" as opposed to "gain" because it is a static ability rather than a resolving effect.
Nimbaway wrote:
3 years ago
I wanted to be sure, since I'm fairly sure you can't stack triggers with these two cards
What do you mean "can't stack triggers"? Each of their triggered abilities uses the stack, after triggering for every time the trigger event took place.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

Nimbaway

Post by Nimbaway » 3 years ago

Argus wrote:
3 years ago
With not stacking triggers, I was looking at the situation as if Elderfang Venom was a triggered ability in giving creatures deathtouch. If that had been the case then the creatures would gain a 'gain deathtouch' trigger on attacking while Hooded Blightfang would see them as attacking creatures without deathtouch, by the point the gain deathtouch trigger resolves Hooded Blightfang would have stopped checking. So you can't stack it as a trigger to get Hooded Blightfang to trigger as well. At least, that's how I read that situation if it had been a trigger.

As I expected it is just a static ability, which makes things work as I figured it would.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”