Korvold, Fae-Cursed King || Turbocrats

DeadPresident
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DeadPresident » 3 years ago

My original idea for Korvold was a conversion of my grindy Meren of Clan Nel Toth reanimator list - but I've got to credit @yeti for the inspiration behind this rebuild. His advice about trying to exploit Korvold's high ceiling couldn't have been more accurate. My focus was to incorporate a number of cards that can leverage the maximum card draw and sacrifice shenanigans a good turn with Korvold is capable of.

Korvold, Fae-Cursed King
Approximate Total Cost:

Win Conditions

Swing with the King

The first is rather obvious - Korvold can get pretty big pretty quick. A decent turn could see him hit 11 power and get the ability to finish someone off in a couple of attacks, and a really great turn could see him hit 21 power and just one-shot someone, too.

All the King's horses and all the King's men

Pathbreaker Ibex is the other option, given the potential for creatures to have haste and with the token production this deck is capable of it's not too difficult to have a small army of tokens get big enough to trample over half the table. Because Korvold effectively starts out as a 5/5 once he hits the board (due to having to sacrifice a permanent on ETB) the Ibex's buff will at least be 5 power, but in all likelihood it will be more than that depending on how far the game has developed.

Just Golgari Things

There's a line with Protean Hulk that makes finding and looping Gray Merchant twice fairly easy:

1) Get the Hulk out and sacrifice him
2) Fetch Carrion Feeder/Viscera Seer + Phyrexian Delver
3) Return the Hulk with the Delver, sacrifice the Hulk again
4) Fetch Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
5) Sacrifice Phyrexian Delver, it'll return with a +1/+1 counter due to Mikaeus and we can bring back the Hulk again
6) Sacrifice the Hulk again, this time finding Gray Merchant + an arbitrary 1 drop

We'll be able to use the Gray Merchant twice, once on initial entry and another time because of Mikaeus's Undying trigger. Usually it'll drain for 8-12 both times - gaining back all the life lost from the Delver and then some, plus reducing opponent's life totals substantially.

That said, it's easy enough to use Protean Hulk to find almost any combinations of things. I foresee World Shaper + Lotus Cobra and one of the land animators (Natural Affinity or Life) being a favorite line to generate big mana.

Flashy Finish

Lastly, Thermopod + Sneak Attack + Korvold out will allow us to sacrifice creatures for using Thermopod to Sneak out more creatures to sacrifice, potentially drawing through a lot of the deck and repeating the process. We'll eventually stumble on some combination of Gray Merchant/Mayhem Devil/Pathbreaker to close the game out.

One thing I do think the list lacks and that I'm going to try and find space for is something like Cut//Ribbons. Because of all the mana this list can generate I definitely want access to at least one mana sink and this one seems perfect. The first half can remove a creature early in the game, and later on when I can generate more mana the aftermath side can potentially finish some opponents off. Exsanguinate is another slightly less interesting option.

I'd be curious about any feedback or discussion regarding improvements to this list!
Last edited by DeadPresident 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 3 years ago

Here's my list (although there are some edits I've made that haven't gotten uploaded here yet): viewtopic.php?f=35&t=25638

I focused a little more on a lands package, and the explosiveness that Korvold is capable of, while sidestepping infinite combos for the most part. The deck can pump tokens out in a massive way, and has a variety of paths to victory: landfall triggers for direct damage (Valakut and Retreat to Hagra, sort of angry Omnath here as well), token swarm, ideally with haste (token varieties come in 1/1, 2/2, 2/2 with flying, 5/3, 5/5, and more!), commander damage, or Purphoros triggers (see tokens).

The deck is fairly light on control elements, but has some interaction. Generally, it tries to ramp a bit, drop Korvold, and start churning through the deck ASAP. I've had turn 5 and 6 plays that generated upwards of 20 tokens in a turn, and drew as many cards or more.

Having also played Korvold at the head of a Brawl deck, I feel like the sort of incremental value typically associated with aristocrats builds like Meren (I also have a Meren deck) don't fully take advantage of Korvold's power level, which was part of the reason I steered away from that when I built mine. The others were that I already have two decks that work in that way with Meren and Teysa, and the desire to not feel like I needed to include a lot of reanimation in the deck.

DeadPresident

Thanks for the input yeti. I really like quite a few of the inclusions in your list. I''m contemplating perhaps foregoing the reanimator angle in favor of some of the elements you've included. I'm a little lazy, though, so for the moment I'm only going to pursue the lands matters cards, and perhaps some low-hanging token generators like Kessig Cagebreakers or something of that kind since it synergizes with the graveyard shenanigans I'm trying. I'm guessing due to Korvold's high drawing potential the likelihood of having extra lands seems quite high, and I have a couple of the cards already.

Another thing you mentioned that I personally relate to a lot is that I already have an incremental value deck so slowly morphing this into something that can really exploit the exponential potential (...expotential?) of Korvold seems like a good idea. I'm definitely going to consult your list from time to time as I develop this list.

yeti1069

Left my decks out of state, but will try to get it updated to current mid-January.

The big performers are the cards that dump lands onto the battlefield at once like Scapeshift and World Shaper, but even just some of the ramp cards like Harrow can make for explosive turns with a couple of the "Landfall: Make a token cards". The stuff like Splendid Reclamation also means that you have some ability to sacrifice lands push forward the game plan without (too much) risk of setting yourself back.

Also, Dockside Extortionist is BONKERS in this deck. He's pricey, but making X mana, and drawing X cards, for , where X = number of artifacts and enchantments your opponents control is HUGE. He also goes semi-infinite with Phyrexian Reclamation if X >= 4. Been debating Brass's Bounty for a while as it works kind of like a Time Spiral that may draw you more than 7 cards and may net you more mana than it cost. Just not sure the deck needs it.

DeadPresident

I can imagine that Dockside is absolutely insane, yeah. Unfortunately getting a hold of one is going to be a bit of a challenge but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for one becoming available in any of my trade groups. I actually have a Brass's Bounty lying around that I think I'll try out, with the amount of ramp this deck is capable of it could actually end up being quite a huge value play much earlier than people would expect. What's your opinion on Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge as an inclusion? It's unfortunate he doesn't count tokens but he could potentially still make a fair number of treasures per turn.

Pitiless Plunderer is probably a safer bet as a budget Dockside Extortionist in the mean time and possibly better than Gadrak in any case.

yeti1069

Plunderer is on my list of cards I want to try out in the deck, but Gadrak just won't do enough in the version I'm running. First, I'm not looking to sac that many nontoken creatures, and second, EOT is not when I want my treasure! Need that served up quick to churn out the big turns. There are really only a handful of creatures in the deck that I'm happy to sacrifice for value after they've done their thing. The rest are meant to stick around, get sacced in response to removal, to reset/setup for reanimation, or binned to propel a big turn. Gadrak doesn't really help much with 2 out of 3 of those, unless someone is removing stuff on my turn, which few people will do if Gadrak is out.

Been trying to find some room in my Marchesa, The Black Rose deck for the dragon, as that is definitely more of an incremental value engine sort of deck, and is sacrificing nontokens almost exclusively.

If you run Brass's Bounty, let me know how it plays for you. I do agree that there's enough ramp that it can come down early--I wouldn't be surprised to see it turn 4 or 5, following a Korvold drop, with some regularity.

DeadPresident

You're right, Gadrak does lend himself better to the incremental value generated in a deck style like Marchesa's.

After gold-fishing my list a few times your original advice has ended up being spot on, yeti. It feels like the deck will be stuck in second gear the whole time and really doesn't exploit how potentially huge Korvold can make some turns. My next step is going to be to remove the reanimator theme entirely and replace it with something resembling your lands-matter package and going in a little deeper on the token generators.

I managed to pick up an Azusa today and I've got a few other ramp and land enabling pieces but I have a few more to get, The next time I update my list I think it'll end up with a few more elements of your list.

DeadPresident

I've shaken things up quite substantially with this list, hopefully going to get a few games with it very soon.

There are a few cards I may try and find spots for:

Falkenrath Aristocrat → Immersturm Predator
Golgari Guildgate → Shadowblood Ridge
Jungle Hollow → Mossfire Valley

DeadPresident

Most recent batch of changes:

Forest → Path of Ancestry
Forest → Grand Coliseum
Mountain → Emergence Zone
Mountain → Sheltered Thicket
Mountain → Exotic Orchard
Swamp → Shadowblood Ridge
Swamp → Mossfire Valley
Jungle Hollow → Savage Lands
Golgari Guildgate → Polluted Delta
Dakmor Salvage → Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Aether Hub → Luxury Suite
Vivid Grove → Phyrexian Tower
Tarnished Citadel → Dragonskull Summit
Evolving Wilds → Blood Crypt

The mana base was just relatively weak; too many basics and too many ETBT lands for my liking. This feels like it'll hit my colors better and also has the addition of some utility lands like Shizo, Phyrexian Tower, and Emergence Zone.

I wanted an extra way to protect Korvold. I figured I would try Dense Foliage since it provides mass protection, and if it ever becomes inconvenient I can simply sacrifice it to Korvold's attack trigger if needed.

I'm already running Life/Death to animate my lands for World Shaper shenanigans, I'm going out on a limb thinking I probably don't need a duplicate. Chord offers a bit more versatility and will probably synergize well with all the tokens.

After counting up all the card draw I felt like a worse version of Korvold's effect could be cut and I wanted to try out some 'cute' impact cards. Dualcaster was one I had in mind, so I'm going to test it at this weekend's games but I'm assuming there's a decent chance I may cut it again.

The added GY hate of the Predator makes it feel more valuable than the haste that the Aristocrat comes with, since I'll often have haste from Rhythm/Fires I feel like this is a pretty sensible adjustment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”