Partners for Armix, Filigree Thrasher

JWK
Elder Thing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

Up until now, I have never built a deck with partners as commanders, instead just slotting individual cards wth partner (or sometimes a pair, like Pir and Toothy) into other commanders with whom they have high synergy. But in addition to possibly making a Breeches/Malcolm pirate deck, I am finding Armix, Filigree Thrasher pretty intriguing. I will definitely be slotting it into Glissa, the Traitor, but I am also considering possible partner options.

Which partners have caught your eye as potentially interesting optio with Armix?
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

I think Silas Renn, Seeker Adept would be the most natural fit.
They are the only 2 Partners we know of, that are actual artifact creatures, Silas Renn, Seeker Adept adds recursion to the discard scheme and both their CMCs are low to the ground.
The only downside is, missing out on red as a prime artifact color.
If you don't want to Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar could make for a voltron build of sorts, since Armix, Filigree Thrasher will have to attack anyhow.
Dargo, the Shipwrecker likes to feed of artifacts as well, but i guess he's a lot stronger with artifact tokens which only do so much for Armix, Filigree Thrasher. Akiri, Line-Slinger is likely the most bland option, but going up to 3C including red is reason enough to give it some thought.

Flavorwise i'd vote for Silas Renn, Seeker Adept, alternatively Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar and Akiri, Line-Slinger are likely the "power" options.

JWK
Elder Thing

Yeah, Akiri is obvious, and that deck will be powerful, but that pairing is not interesting to me because it is so obvious.

Silas seems a good fit, and I like that he brings U to the table, but having two small guys that have to attack to do their thing strikes me as problematic unless I run a lot of effects to make things unblockable. But at least U helps with that. The other option is full vultron, but then why not just go with Akiri?

The idea of running Kediss with Armix amuses me, but most ideas involving the lizard amuse me. Still easily my favorite card in the set. Plus adding red brings options for multiple combat steps.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Rebbec, Architect of Ascension was my initial thought as the protections could help you punch through faster. Other items white gives you:

Tempered Steel
Blade Splicer (not sure if a golem subtheme was a direction you wanted, but there are a few options with those)
Generic recursion and equipment synergies
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

The one cute bit with Silas/Armix is that since Armix triggers on attack, you can probably find at least one person with only one blocker, use Armix to nuke that, and then get through with Silas that way. But agreed that being at the same spot on the curve is a slight problem, as well as wanting to both attack meaning it's hard to spread out any voltron effects sufficiently.

Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist might be an interesting way to do semi-voltron without going as far as including Akiri? ...Actually, looking at white Partners, Rebbec, Architect of Ascension is very spicy to combine with an artifact partner. That would make you have to avoid equipment (since you'll have protection from that CMC), but protection is a pretty interesting evasion option as it is, and White/Black artifacts could be an interesting ride.

On the other end of silly, Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith will make sure you have plenty of artifacts in play for Armix's trigger. Will they be doing anything? Probably not! But they sure will be artifacts in play.

JWK
Elder Thing

Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
Rebbec, Architect of Ascension was my initial thought as the protections could help you punch through faster. Other items white gives you: <snip>
That seems a really strong option while also being really interesting. Orzhov artifacts is usually not a thing.

Serenade
UnderKing

I just don't know if the protections could work against you in a meaningful way (mostly thinking about equipment). Ravos, Soultender could be another option in the same colors, both abilities helping Armix.

Way too casual, but I always liked the idea of paying a ton of life for some kind of pump effect (say, Hatred), smashing face, and getting it all back and then some with Tainted Sigil.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
I just don't know if the protections could work against you in a meaningful way (mostly thinking about equipment). Ravos, Soultender could be another option in the same colors, both abilities helping Armix.

Way too casual, but I always liked the idea of paying a ton of life for some kind of pump effect (say, Hatred), smashing face, and getting it all back and then some with Tainted Sigil.
Yeah, you'd have to basically skip out on the equipment and equipment synergies entirely, unless you're planning to suit up Rebbec herself. It makes for what seems like an interesting deckbuilding puzzle to me, at least: White/Black artifacts, but you can't fall back on just building a white equipment deck with black, and have to limit the stuff that targets and lean into more global effects. Tempered Steel is a good call, and there's a fair amount of token generation that happens to make artifacts in the colors.

JWK
Elder Thing

Yeah, trying to do it without equipment strikes me as an interesting puzzle.

I guess this would be another deck where Smothering Tithe might be good. :)

FenrirRex
Answers: 1

Post by FenrirRex » 3 years ago

While it literally adds no colors to the deck, my actual favorite commander with him is the other uncommon black partner, Keskit, the Flesh Sculptor. He feeds both the graveyard and the hand for Armix, sets you up for reanimation shenanigans nicely, and gives you the opportunity for an infinitely more creative build than just throwing in one or two "artifact" colors into the mix.

Serenade
UnderKing

Ich-Tekik, Salvage Splicer is a neat golem friend, but I feel like Anara, Lupine Familiar would be a better green partner...if you wanted another BG artifact deck at all.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

I have a couple different directions I would like to build for Armix, Filigree Thrasher, and are debating among the two. The third, and least fleshed out, is to throw in Armix into a RB madness deck, but I don't know what partner to use and haven't really gotten past it might be fun to tinker with.

BW Treasure

Partner: Rebbec, Architect of Ascension

The idea here is use Armix as an artifact control commander that can kill problematic creatures and Rebbec as general protection for Armix and your artifacts. The key here is being able to combine Smothering Tithe and Revel in Riches to win the game. The back up plan being to ping everyone down with Marionette Master, Disciple of the Vault and Nadier's Nightblade. Also seems like a great place for a few madness cards like Big Game Hunter, Dark Withering, and Curse of Fool's Wisdom.

BW Artifact Beatdown

Partner: Rebbec, Architect of Ascension

The idea is simply to play a ton of artifact creatures all along the curve to make an invincible artifact creature army. Add in protection in the form of Teferi's Protection, Flawless Maneuver, and other make your team invincible cards to make it absolutely miserable for your opponent to interact with you. Plus it also includes the option to play with Skeleton Shard, Aethershield Artificer, and Board the Weatherlight, three cards I've always wanted to find a deck for.

I haven't done too much with either (sort of hard to brew when you don't when you will actually play commander again), but I am leaning towards the BW Treasure build.

JWK
Elder Thing

The build I've been tossing around is something like Guardman's BW artifact beatdown, except that I am building it around artifact creatures that have infect. Tons of removal/interaction to protect my board and remove threats.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

So I've been brainstorming more interesting pairs with Armix, Filigree Thrasher (without going too much into the actual deck design).

BR Pirate Treasure

Partner: Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith

Similar in idea to the BW Treasure with Rebbec, Architect of Ascension I talked about above, with Revel in Riches, Marionette Master, Disciple of the Vault and Nadier's Nightblade. Except the treasure plan goes to 11 thanks to a bunch of strong red and black treasure producers like Pitiless Plunderer, Ruthless Knave, Dockside Extortionist, Captain Lannery Storm, Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge, Shiny Impetus, Pirate's Pillage, Surly Badgersaur, Brass's Bounty, Impulsive Pilferer, and Trove of Temptation (not to mention honory treasure producer Curse of Opulence. In addition the deck has some strong synergies that don't rely on artifacts dying, but entering or on the battlefield with Reckless Fireweaver, Gonti's Aether Heart, and Fathom Fleet Swordjack. Plus even something like Nahiri's Lithoforming can be big thanks to Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith. Plus with Toggo, you can add King Macar, the Gold-Cursed for easy exiling and gold tokens thanks to the mighty Rock.

Honestly the deck does seem to be building itself the more I type about it. The big question is whether Armix, Filigree Thrasher should be the black partner or Keskit, the Flesh Sculptor (who should at the very least be in the 98). On one hand Armix gives repeatable removal and there are plenty of discard synergies with Encor cards, Surly Badgersaur, and you could probably throw in a few madness cards. On the other hand Keskit gives you repeatable cards.

I have a few more ideas, but um... I spent too much time talking about BR Pirate Treasure... I will be back either tonight or tomorrow or maybe later or never or past the heat death of the universe to continue my rambling thoughts that don't end in a clean or...

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

When I realized how much Toggo & Armix were building themselves I decided to buckle down and put together a decklist.

Rock & Roll

Planeswalkers 1

Approximate Total Cost:

It's the ping deck I described in my last post, but with some additional neat interactions. Like Retreat to Hagra and Zagras, Thief of Heartbeats with work really well with Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith rocks and Armix, Filigree Thrasher since he likes to attack. Toggo also "fixes" the biggest problem with Scaretiller as it is really easy to tap (which is also why King Macar, the Gold-Cursed should work well in the deck).

Went with more lands over heavy artifact ramp since Toggo is basically a landfall commander.

Not sure on the removal mix since I have Toggo. I maybe should cut some creature removal for other cards, but that's probably changes to be made after testing.

One last thing, I am really curious how Infiltration Lens will work out on Armix, Filigree Thrasher.

Cards that I sort of considered:

Bladegriff Prototype - Looks cool & Political. Don't know how it will play in practice.
Imperial Recruiter - Probably belongs in the deck considering how many creatures have below two power, but not sure if I want to spend $30+ on one card.
Anger or some other haste granters - I don't know how much the deck really needs haste. Something that probably should be figured out in playtesting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”