[Secret Lair] Secret Lair: Extra Life 2020.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Next Secret Lair has been officially announced, and I must say, I am tempted.

Details can be found here.

But basically, it's four popular and high powered cards played in a variety of formats. Specifically Amulet of Vigor, Collected Company, Consecrated Sphinx, and Teferi's Protection. Each card has new art the focuses on the importance of the next generation, and they are down right gorgeous. All cards will be foiled as well.

It goes on sale on the 6th through to the 9th of November, and will cost 60$, half of which goes to the Extra Life charity, the remainder covering the production and transport costs.

And I am seriously tempted to buy one.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Not bad 2 of the cards pay for it (depends on where you are though for shipping)

Part of me saids no because I got the theros gods and that took forever (but due to COVID) and a couple the foils aren't printed right and the nylea had a ding in it so had to wait for a replacement

Bu the yes side all the choices are correct in a secret lair for once and a minor forgiveness for the donation part (even though it's not the first time around this donation program)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
Bu the yes side all the choices are correct in a secret lair for once and a minor forgiveness for the donation part (even though it's not the first time around this donation program)
30$ for each set sold is a heck of a lot to be honest.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

So, how do we tell Wizards, "THIS is how you do Secret Lair, not *points in Rick's general direction*"

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

This is probably the best secret lair they have put out as it hits all the right boxes.

1. It has the donation element, making it more like a $30 Secret Lair. It also goes to a good cause. Both of these make it feel special.

2. The new art is amazing. Teferi's Protection alone warms the cockles of my heart with it's art and flavor text.

3. The cards are actually all good cards and worth not only the $30 actual cost, but the $60 cost as well. Current value, give or take, is $94 based off of TCGPlayer.

I am seriously thinking of getting one, which is weird for me.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
This is probably the best secret lair they have put out as it hits all the right boxes.

1. It has the donation element, making it more like a $30 Secret Lair. It also goes to a good cause. Both of these make it feel special.

2. The new art is amazing. Teferi's Protection alone warms the cockles of my heart with it's art and flavor text.

3. The cards are actually all good cards and worth not only the $30 actual cost, but the $60 cost as well. Current value, give or take, is $94 based off of TCGPlayer.

I am seriously thinking of getting one, which is weird for me.
Pretty much sums up how I feel about it as well.

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

I'm seeing two cards people play in Modern which you need four copies of, and two cards overbalanced for casual, and zero cards I want in my collection. the art's sweet and the charity connection is touching! but the whole package feels like a demographically-engineered attempt to win back people who had their trust abused by the crossover thing and I distrust these box sets with tiny numbers of cards inside. I wish they came in preconstructed decks.

Not spending money on these things 'til Kaldheim!
sorta mad at magic right now

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

That art and flavor text on Teferi's Protection makes it the most adorable Magic card I've ever seen, and buying one gives money to a children's hospital? MTG knows how to pull on heart strings.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

The Teferi's Protection with Baby Niambi is a great lore addition.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

You think it is coincidence that this comes after rick? This is a CALCULATED MANEUVER. They want to forget and go back to being good little consume sheep. If you actually care and want to donate, just donate directly.
Cut it out with the conspiracy nonsense. Warning for trolling

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
You think it is coincidence that this comes after rick? This is a CALCULATED MANEUVER. They want to forget and go back to being good little consume sheep. If you actually care and want to donate, just donate directly.
So you think they came up with this product, commissioned four new pieces of art, made arrangements with Extra Life and Seattle Children's Hospital etc. all in just a few weeks? Just to stifle the negative reception to TWD? You're adorable.

Anyway, this product looks cool and has a great cause, but $60 for four cards? How about one or two more? C'mon, Wizards. I don't think it's asking too much. I still kinda want one, though. Maybe.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Anyway, this product looks cool and has a great cause, but $60 for four cards? How about one or two more? C'mon, Wizards. I don't think it's asking too much. I still kinda want one, though. Maybe.
I don't mind paying $60 for four cards when they're cards that I actually really want. I can use Teferi's Protection in just about any of my W decks, and if I feel like being mean I'll slip a Sphinx into a U deck. CoCo and Amulet, well, those are at least useful Modern cards that someone might want.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
So you think they came up with this product, commissioned four new pieces of art, made arrangements with Extra Life and Seattle Children's Hospital etc. all in just a few weeks? Just to stifle the negative reception to TWD? You're adorable.

So you think large corporations do stuff like this out of the goodness of their hearts and not as a PR stunt? So you think they can't just slap on a "donation" to a product they already planned to overwrite the memory of goldfish? So you actually think Habro believes anything other than profit and lies?
You're.
Adorable.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

So you think large corporations do stuff like this out of the goodness of their hearts and not as a PR stunt? So you think they can't just slap on a "donation" to a product they already planned to overwrite the memory of goldfish? So you actually think Habro believes anything other than profit and lies?
You're.
Adorable.
They've been doing Extra Life for years now. They started Secret Lair last year. Of course the next Extra Life fundraiser was going to be a Secret Lair thing. This was ALWAYS going to have a donation attached to it. Is it a marketing ploy to see how high they can ratchet up Secret Lair prices? Sure, I can give you that. But they didn't just throw $30 on the price tag for the nonexistent tax break.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”