Ways to trigger landfall in pioneer?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

akoum-hellhound-56147-medium.jpg

hi, me and a friend are building a deck around Akoum Hellhound.

Besides using evolving wilds and fabled passage. Are there other ways to reliably trigger landfall here in pioneer?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

The two things I would look for are ways to play additional lands or ways to put lands directly on the battlefield. If you're willing to branch out of mono-red, there are a bunch of cards in green that allow extra land drops - Wayward Swordtooth, Dryad of the Ilysian Grove, Mina and Denn, Wildborn, Azusa, Lost but Seeking, etc. And of course, there are a bunch of Rampant Growth effects in the format.

If you want to stick to mono-red, your options are significantly more limited. Beyond Evolving Wilds and Fabled Passage, Field of Ruin and Warped Landscape appear to be the only options in the land slot. Alternatively, Burnished Hart, Golos, Tireless Pilgrim, Solemn Simulacrum, and Sword of the Animist are colorless ramp options. The only red enabler I can think of is Cleansing Wildfire.

Unfortunately, not having the actual fetchlands available is a pretty significant limitation for a landfall-based aggro deck built around Akoum Hellhound, since most ways to get additional landfall triggers are a bit more ramp-focused and thus want to be enabling more expensive cards.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

thanks for the tips. Yeah, not having khans fetches makes this harder.

for now, I'll go with sword of animist, and also try some cleansing wildfire in the main - it replaces itself anyway, and can also be used on an opponent.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Pioneer”