[CMR] Mothership previews 8/22 - Monocolor Partners

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

First official spoilers for (and explanation of) Commander Legends.
Link
Highlights: monocolor partners, help for white, finishing battlebond 'crowd land' cycle.

Image Image

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Sengir is so friggin awesome.

Also happy to see Halana and Elena.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

And we already have our Adaptive Shimmerer for the set. I wonder why they previewed that today, other than to remind everyone that this was a limited-based set.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

I'm quite excited for Keeper of the Accord - ramp (and token production) in white is much appreciated. If the stars are aligned, you can potentially get lands on every opponents' turn, which is... sort of absurd. Alternatively, sacrifice them all to Claws of Gix or another sac outlet and recur a giant pile of lands with Planar Birth? Throw in a bunch of expendable tokens (not entirely unlike Ophiomancer) and you get a very nice package.

I don't have a particularly strong opinion re: Halana, Kessig Ranger and Alena, Kessig Trapper yet. Halana provides repeatable removal / fight effects for green (since green traditionally lacks good creature removal), while Alena provides repeatable mana production for red (which, again, red traditionally lacks). Both look reasonable, but don't know how good they will be in practice.

Sengir looks... fine, but not amazing. That said, Partner is an extremely powerful mechanic, so will at least be very good in limited.

The Prismatic Piper is obviously not great outside limited, but it's an interesting way to make sure that everyone is guaranteed a legal deck.

Completing the land cycle is very much appreciated. I wish they had started with enemy lands, but better late than never. Hopefully these will end up being more affordable than the allied ones (or that the allied ones get reprinted), but I suppose we'll need to wait and see.

...sadly, may be difficult to actually play in person, but I'll try to get to a draft if I'm able to. Dedicated legend slots in Dominaria were a lot of fun, so glad to see it returning here.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

It's more than Adaptive Shimmerer, if I understand what is written in the article correctly, it is sort of like a basic land in the set. So if you don't have a legendary creature that can be your commander, you can grab one or two of them from outside your draft pool to use as your commander(s).

Also - *Return the slab.*

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

I want to make a partnerless Piper commander deck now and fail to choose a colour. the art is the best

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
I'm quite excited for Keeper of the Accord - ramp (and token production) in white is much appreciated. If the stars are aligned, you can potentially get lands on every opponents' turn, which is... sort of absurd. Alternatively, sacrifice them all to Claws of Gix or another sac outlet and recur a giant pile of lands with Planar Birth? Throw in a bunch of expendable tokens (not entirely unlike Ophiomancer) and you get a very nice package.
I'd Armageddon first before Planar Rebirth. Most people play multicolors and have very few basic lands, let them bite the dust.

Keeper triggers at EACH opponent's end step too, so you might potentially end up have 2~3 lands/tokens after a round.

TGambitG

Post by TGambitG » 3 years ago

About that Sengir.. I only have 2 words to say.

Aetherflux Reservoir.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

TGambitG wrote:
3 years ago

Aetherflux Reservoir.
aaaaand Rhox Faithmender or/and Boon Reflection

TGambitG

Post by TGambitG » 3 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
TGambitG wrote:
3 years ago

Aetherflux Reservoir.
aaaaand Rhox Faithmender or/and Boon Reflection

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

The Prismatic Piper is an ingenious way to fill a huge hole in limited.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”