Juri: Master and Commander

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BaronCappuccino » 3 years ago

For about as long as Covid-19 has redefined daily life, I've been working on a Shadowborn Apostle deck in Rakdos colors. Beginning as a Rakdos the Defiler deck that was budget casual, it had been Judith, the Scourge Diva for months now, and it's no longer budget. It's only casual in the sense that it's not cEDH.

Once Juri, Master of the Review was spoiled, I felt like he was actually the best commander for the strategy. Judith was effectively a Blood Artist in the command zone. Hers was hardly a glorious position. She was the payoff for an infinite combo with Grenzo, Dungeon Warden, Ashnod's Altar and The Cauldron of Eternity. Early on, I'd loop an apostle, but eventually, I "discovered" that I could just loop her.

Juri is a much better fit in this regard. His trigger is off "sacrifice" rather than "dies", so he can go off on the same turn that I cast Yawgmoth's Will. Also, Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker is a pretty powerful card in the strategy, but all the time I was using Judith, I forgot about her anthem effect, and never realized it nullified Shirei and my apostles. Juri has no such anthem, and Shirei actually works.

Theoretically, Juri also allows a voltron plan, but this deck doesn't go there. If I discover I mostly only play 1v1, I might adjust accordingly. My pre-Covid playgroup consisted of a pool of six players of whom typically four could play any given session. They're awesome at grindy board states. I'm not. My goal is to play over them rather than with them, or I'll continue to lose every game as I have thus far.

The strategy: Assemble six apostles. Find Razaketh, the Foulblooded. Assemble the aforementioned infinite combo. The deck is full of big draw, alternate tutors and cost reducing effects to allow for alternative means to the same end. The interaction is pretty Jujitsu in nature, mostly for style, and a little for politics.

Last edited by BaronCappuccino 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

shermanido37

Post by shermanido37 » 3 years ago

If you don't have access to your commander, I'd look for some redundancy in the 99. Mayhem Devil is awesome and Havoc Jester seem decent.
If not, I'd look for a plan B for you plan to execute, while you wait for the correct time to pull the combo. To me, that subtheme might be stax.
Archfiend of Depravity helps keep the board in check.
Demon of Dark Schemes kills boards, and befits from you sacrificing things (to eventually bring back important creatures).
Sire of Insanity is actually pretty strong in cEDH if it even finishes one turn in play.

That plan B might also lean towards beating up your opponents.
Sower of Discord seems right up your alley. Demon, so can be easily fetched, and its effect lets you nearly Hydra Omnivore your opponents even without your commander.
Archfiend of Despair can really ramp up the hurt and prevent your opponents from escaping your wrath.

Cards I'd consider removing are Rakdos, Lord of Riots (i mean, why is he here?), Shunt as the worst card of its caste, and possibly Opal Palace - since you're either barely casting your commander which means this card is barely buffing anything, or you're already winning with the combo which means its buffs are irrelevant.

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 3 years ago

So far, I took your advice regarding Opal Palace - it has no place here. I'm mulling Rakdos, Lord of Riots because he was easier to trigger when Judith, the Scourge Diva was the commander, but he's still reliable cost reduction here. In place of the palace, I rediscovered Yawgmoth, Thran Physician. Removal and draw in the same package is exactly what I need, and Juri loves it when Yawgmoth pumps him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”