May MCC Judge Signup Thread

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 weeks ago

card-8OOol-art_crop.jpg
Banner based on Denry Klin, Editor in Chief, by Aaron J. Riley and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
It's time for a new month in the MCC, which means we are in need of volunteers to judge! This is an important job that is vital for the functioning of the monthly contests.

If you have ever judged the MCC before, simply reply to this thread to sign up. If you have not, I am going to deviate from established practice and ask you to send me a private message. I think this will be a more challenging month to judge than usual (for reasons that will become clear), so while I'm not ruling out the idea of first-time judges, I would want to have a conversation to make sure we're both on the same page, which is why I'm posting this a few days early.

Judge signups will stay open until the design deadline for Round 1 or until we get enough judges, whichever comes first. The judge signups will be going on in parallel with Round 1.

As a final note, please only volunteer if you think you will have a couple of hours a week (maximum) total free this month in order to complete the tasks of a judge. All your role will entail will be posting your considered and honest judgments for each contestant's card you are assigned for all four rounds.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 weeks ago

Really curious about this theme. Not sure if I'm up to the kind of creative work this month would involve, so put me down as a reserve judge. Should someone else volunteer AND I think I can create a worthwhile first round entry for a more experimental challenge, I'll drop.

I'll reiterate what it says in the OP about possibly sitting this one out as a first-time judge. Next month, Leo will be presenting the classic theme of the most recent Standard set (Outlaws of Thunder Junction) in the MCC, meaning that would be an excellent time to sign up as a judge for the first time and experience the solid MCC judging basics.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Great! I will have you down as a reserve judge, so still open to volunteers if anyone is interested!

(I also hope I haven't oversold how novel these challenges are -- they definitely require folks to design around things they may not really have thought about before, but Adobe Illustrator will not be necessary to complete them.)

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 weeks ago

I can judge if needed. I'm open to any role for May, I can play or I can judge. I guess you can also consider me as a reserve judge for now. I'm also quite curious about the theme, I have an idea of what it might be, but I'm far from sure.

I'll add that if we have any new judges, I'll be more than glad to mentor them in June if they wish. I've mentored several MCC judges on their first month judging, some aren't active anymore, some are and still judge today from time to time.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

slimytrout

Great! Hopefully once I post the first round tomorrow it will become clearer to folks whether they feel more like judging or participating.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 6 days ago

Not sure what our judge situation is going to exactly be, but I've made an entry just in case.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 6 days ago

Eh, sign me up. Seems like it'll be another interesting month to judge for. Also means both void and Leo can compete in one of these for once.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”