Ugly Baby?

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 weeks ago

Now that Amass has been updated to Amass Type, could the same be done with Fabricate? I would think so. The only reason I ask is because the token I want to Fabricate isn't an artifact and has a keyword ability itself.

ACTUAL FABRICATE
Fabricate 1 (When this creature enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it or create a 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature token.)

PROPOSED FABRICATE
Fabricate Shapeshifter 1 (When this creature enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it or create a 1/1 colorless Shapeshifter creature token with changeling.)
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 2 weeks ago

To start with, the answer to your initial question is "Yes" but that doesn't do what you ultimately want to do. You can't use Reminder Text to drive functionality. Which means that you need to make sure that "Fabricate 1" and "Fabricate Shapeshifter 1" do exactly what a player would expect them to do. And that isn't true. Nothing in the wording says the first is an Artifact but the second is not. Nothing in the wording says the second has Changeling whereas the first does not. The rules of Fabricate says it is an Artifact which means you would need to start adding exceptions to the rule based on the Creature Type which is clunky.

There is a reason Amass was expanded to allow for a different Creature type, but still makes a Black token. At the moment you add too many variables to a keyword, you might as well not have the keyword.

So, you can certainly allow for a variable creature type but "Fabricate Shapeshifter 1" would simply mean "Create a 1/1 colorless Shapeshifter Artifact token". Which isn't what you want as it ends up being an artifact and doesn't have changeling. There likely isn't going to be a good way to tie this into an existing keyword so you either need to create another one (in which case, it will always create a colorless <subtype> with Changeling) or just spell it out on the card without a keyword at all.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 weeks ago

my baby mama gon feel dissed bout dis
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”