Legendary Myriad

ChazA4
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ChazA4 » 3 years ago

I see a number of ways this 'works', but I'm only concerned with one aspect. Try as I might, I did not see a topic that discussed this particular instance; most topics centered around legendaries, and Myriad Landscape...not what I need.

Setup: My thought is to use Blade of Selves equipped to, in this instance Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger for fast multiplayer game ending. Now, I'm well aware that the tokens created from the original's attack with the equipped BoS will also be Legendary, and that SBA will demand that I choose only one to remain, while the others are sacrificed. Given that said tokens are gone at end of combat anyway, no big deal.

Question: Considering that Blade of Selves states those tokens come in tapped and attacking, do I still get those attack triggers(again, in my example, exiling top 20 cards from each opponent's library) even though the SBA resolves and erases the copies after their entry? Which is faster here: SBA, or the attack triggers piling on the stack?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 3 years ago
It's a nonissue, because permanents that enter the battlefield attacking won't trigger abilities that say "attacks" at all - these abilities only trigger when a creature is declared as an attacker during the declare attackers step (508.3a, which explicitly says "Such abilities won't trigger if a creature is put onto the battlefield attacking").

By contrast, if this were a legendary with an enters the battlefield ability, each token copy's ability would trigger, because it did in fact enter, and resolve, because abilities are independent of their sources.
Go to full post

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

It's a nonissue, because permanents that enter the battlefield attacking won't trigger abilities that say "attacks" at all - these abilities only trigger when a creature is declared as an attacker during the declare attackers step (508.3a, which explicitly says "Such abilities won't trigger if a creature is put onto the battlefield attacking").

By contrast, if this were a legendary with an enters the battlefield ability, each token copy's ability would trigger, because it did in fact enter, and resolve, because abilities are independent of their sources.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”