April CCL Round 4 - Shifting Mirage

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 weeks ago

April CCL Top 4/Round 4
"Shifting Mirage"

Banner made from Hostile Desert and Spiritmonger, by Wizards of the Coast and Josh Hass, Kev Walker, respectively.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!
Theme

Partially inspired by the Outlaws of Thunder Junction, it is a Desert month here at CCL. Some challenges will deal with the land type itself, while other will have more to do with the flavour of such places.

Challenge
Design two cards, one of which can change its color(s), while the other can change its permanent type(s).
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The permanent types are as follow: Artifact; Battle; Creature; Enchantment; Land; Planeswalker.
  • Changing in both cases means either gaining color or type (Vehicles), losing such (Theros gods) or changing into different one (Spiritmonger).
  • The change can be either temporary or permanent; it can also affect other cards, spells or permanents, as long it can change itself somehow.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Wednesday, May 1st, 12:00 EST.
Contestants
@KB52665
@kwanyeegor-ii
@AnotherAlias
@Komandon

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 1st-6th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 6th-13th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 16th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (April 16th-23rd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due April 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 26th - May 1st)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 8th)
  • Final (May, winner determined by public poll)
For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate six other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 5 days ago, edited 4 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 weeks ago

Chameleon Squad 2W
Creature - Human Soldier (Rare)
Flash
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to Chameleon Squad by sources that share a color with it.
1G: Chameleon Squad gets +2/+2 and becomes the color of your choice until end of turn. Activate only once per turn.
3/3

Unseen Mummy 4B
Creature - Zombie (Rare)
T: Unseen Mummy deals 1 damage to target creature that was activated this turn and 1 damage to that creature's controller.
1B: Unseen Mummy gains deathtouch until end of turn.
3, T: Unseen Mummy becomes an artifact named Unseen Coffin and loses all other card types. You may pay 1 at any time to end this effect.
4/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 2 weeks ago

Curse of Contagion 4bb
Enchantment — Aura Curse (R)
Living Spell (You may cast this card face down for as a 2/2 creature with flying. When it deals combat damage to a player, reveal it and return it to its owner's hand. Its owner may cast it face up without paying its mana cost targeting defending player.)
Enchant player
Creatures enchanted player controls enter the battlefield with an additional -1/-1 counter on them.
Whenever enchanted player is attacked, proliferate.

Scintillating Spotlight {2/u}{2/u}
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
When Scintillating Spotlight enters, choose a color. Enchanted creature and all permanents attached to it are the chosen color. The same is true for spells that target enchanted creature.
Spells you cast of the chosen color cost less to cast.
Last edited by KB52665 1 week ago, edited 6 times in total.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 2 weeks ago

Prismatic Beetle 1G
Creature — Insect (uncommon)
T, Add one mana of any colors, among the colors of Prismatic Beetle.
1: Prismatic Beetle becomes color of your choice. (This effect lasts indefinitely)
"A larger species related to the leaf beetle. Know for their amazing ability to change to fit any surroundings." — Professor Attenborough of Arcavios.
1/1

Carven of Echos
Land — Cave (Mystic)
Imprint — When Cavern of Echos enters the battlefield you may exile target creature from your graveyard.[/i]
Carven of Echos enters the battlefield tapped if it was imprinted.
T: Add c
X: Carven of Echos becomes a copy of imprinted creature and loses all other types until end of turn, where X is its converted mana cost.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 week ago

There will be a one day extension as we wait for @AnotherAlias. Other contestants can modify their submission until that moment as they want.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 1 week ago

Adhesive Ooze
Creature — Ooze (Rare)
When Adhesive Ooze enters the battlefield, you may have it become an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. If you do, attach it to target creature.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block, and its activated abilities can't be activated.
When enchanted creature dies, exile it. If you do, Adhesive Ooze becomes an Ooze creature with base power and toughness equal to target creature card exiled by its base power and toughness.
2/2

Adaptive Ooze
Creature — Ooze (Common)
As long as Adaptive Ooze is white, it has plainswalk. The same is true for blue and islandwalk, black and swampwalk, red and mountainwalk, and green and forestwalk.
: Exile target creature card in a graveyard. If you do, Adaptive Ooze becomes the colors of that card in addition to its other colors until end of turn.
2/2
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Sorry for the delay. I have been busy.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

And the round is closed! Please provide a critique for each other contestant and make a top 3 of them. The time for critiques is until Saturday, 4th May, 12:00 EST.
@KB52665
@kwanyeegor-ii
@AnotherAlias
@Komandon

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 1 week ago

Top 3:
1. komandon
2. AnotherAlias
3. kwanyeegor-ii

If we can have until midnight, I'll have critiques.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Yes, I think an extension will be needed, considering the current state. I think a weekend should suffice, so please to all contestants: make critiques and top 3 until Monday, May 6th, 12:00 EST.
@kwanyeegor-ii
@AnotherAlias
@Komandon

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 1 week ago

Offline issues. I'm sorry that I'm only doing a top 3. If I'm able to I'll try to do critiques during the weekend. I wish to try the May two contests and I'm just sorry I have been busy.

Top 3.

1st: AnotherAlias
2nd: KB52665
3rd: kwanyeegor-ii

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 1 week ago

Just a top three. I might come back and do critiques, but, knowing me, probably not.

Top 3:
3rd: KB52665
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii
1st: Komandon

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 week ago

crits
Show
Hide
KB52665 wrote:
2 weeks ago
Curse of Contagion 4bb
Enchantment — Aura Curse (R)
Living Spell (You may cast this card face down for as a 2/2 creature with flying. When it deals combat damage to a player, reveal it and return it to its owner's hand. Its owner may cast it face up without paying its mana cost targeting defending player.)
Enchant player
Creatures enchanted player controls enter the battlefield with an additional -1/-1 counter on them.
Whenever enchanted player is attacked, proliferate.

Scintillating Spotlight {2/u}{2/u}
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
When Scintillating Spotlight enters, choose a color. Enchanted creature and all permanents attached to it are the chosen color. The same is true for spells that target enchanted creature.
Spells you cast of the chosen color cost less to cast.
Curse of Contagion, very cool mechanic in living spell... I dont really get why it grants the card flying in flavor but as it depends on combat damage to a player evasion is good. the actual effect is devastating given the proliferate ability, it can almost be a lockdown of creatures. Scintillating Spotlight, the actual color change is like trinket text, the real strong ability is the cost reduction but i like the flavor overall
Komandon wrote:
2 weeks ago
Prismatic Beetle 1G
Creature — Insect (uncommon)
T, Add one mana of any colors, among the colors of Prismatic Beetle.
1: Prismatic Beetle becomes color of your choice. (This effect lasts indefinitely)
"A larger species related to the leaf beetle. Know for their amazing ability to change to fit any surroundings." — Professor Attenborough of Arcavios.
1/1

Carven of Echos
Land — Cave (Mystic)
Imprint — When Cavern of Echos enters the battlefield you may exile target creature from your graveyard.[/i]
Carven of Echos enters the battlefield tapped if it was imprinted.
T: Add c
X: Carven of Echos becomes a copy of imprinted creature and loses all other types until end of turn, where X is its converted mana cost.
Prismatic Beetle, this card looks underpowered especially at uncommon. Having to pay in order to switch colors is not efficient. Cavern of Echoes, extremely flavorful creature land! I like the reanimation like ability, however I don't think it needs the drawback of entereing tapped
AnotherAlias wrote:
1 week ago
Adhesive Ooze
Creature — Ooze (Rare)
When Adhesive Ooze enters the battlefield, you may have it become an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. If you do, attach it to target creature.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block, and its activated abilities can't be activated.
When enchanted creature dies, exile it. If you do, Adhesive Ooze becomes an Ooze creature with base power and toughness equal to target creature card exiled by its base power and toughness.
2/2

Adaptive Ooze
Creature — Ooze (Common)
As long as Adaptive Ooze is white, it has plainswalk. The same is true for blue and islandwalk, black and swampwalk, red and mountainwalk, and green and forestwalk.
: Exile target creature card in a graveyard. If you do, Adaptive Ooze becomes the colors of that card in addition to its other colors until end of turn.
2/2
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Sorry for the delay. I have been busy.
Adhesive ooze, pretty weird function when put in magic terms yet easy to understand. I think maybe this should use bestow. Adaptive Ooze, basically a graveyard hoser that is unblockable if it exiles a card so it almost has a lot of trinket text
t3
Show
Hide
1 kb5265
2 komandon
3 anotheralias
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 5 days ago

And so the finalists are Komandon, KB52665 and AnotherAlias. We have a tie, meaning there will be three finalists for April.
The final round will be posted soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”