Daxos, Reunion Tour

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 3 years ago

Well, this will be my third attempt at Michael Jackson Daxos. I just really like the idea of this derp farting out Enchantments seemingly at random and then by the end of the game his wee 'lil men are suddenly massive and taking fools out. I'm going to start with a very casual build and hone from there.
Traxos is Already Used

Commander - 1

Planeswalkers - 1

Basic Lands - 19

11 Plains
Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog
Show
Hide
Changes 06/24/20
Show
Hide
Changes 06/24/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/22/20
Show
Hide
Changes 06/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/19/20
Show
Hide
Changes 06/19/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tevesh 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

Tevesh

Two quick obvious swaps:
Changes 06/19/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I found my spare Animate Dead and managed to convince myself to cut Kor Haven from Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper and Tymna the Weaver for Daxos. Thrilling Encore kind of stands out and so it gets the axe.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

"Image"

The all-permanent wipes seem kind of risky, especially with your mana moving from big lands to rocks. Also where the Mesa Enchantress at? :P Song of the Worldsoul has been crazy good in my friendly build too. That said, this looks largely on point, and it's great to see you with a third spin on this guy ;)

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

D'oh:
Changes 06/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Well, Mesa comes in. I think she's better than the Sphere as I normally abhor 3 CMC rocks. I like the Anthem enough on Heraldic Banner, for now.

I wanted some game ending bombs in the deck, figuring, Glistening Oil would do. Something that increases my Experience Count and absolutely murders a player in one hit. It didn't work out that way when it sat in my hand. I'll use Whip of Erebos instead, giving me blanket life gain. Another way to win is just not die.

I'll try out Song of the Worldsoul on @Rumpy5897's suggestion. I think Torment of Hailfire is the least in-theme haymaker. Maybe once I introduce Coffers+Urborg, I'll be able to big mana bully people into game loss but I'd rather Exsanguinate for the life gain at this time.

Tevesh

Testing a new theory:
Changes 06/24/20
Approximate Total Cost:

One of my play group regulars goes berserk as soon as you annoy him. I've found the key to victory is play chicken in that be the last person to annoy him. In a way it's a reverse two horse race; you don't pick which person you're going to face off but who you don't. I tend to like light Stax elements which then annoys him and I have to spend the rest of the game defending myself or killing him while the other two players are free to collect resources at their leisure. So I'm axing Aura of Silence and replacing it with the far more flexible Elspeth Conquers Death. It still sacs itself so I can use Hall of Heliod's Generosity to recur it for more XP and put my Creatures or Elspeth herself back into play. It does raise my curve but Daxos was never a quick deck.

I am not a fan of three mana rocks, I put in the Banner as a rock that Anthems for something. In its stead comes Sevinne's Reclamation which can be used to grab a pertinent Enchantment or what I'm more likely to use it for: put Lands or other Ramp pieces into play. The Flashback also means I can sit on it until I need to. I've been impressed with it in my Tiana, Ship's Caretaker deck and other White Value decks I've played against.

Play of the Game might be too deep of a deep clean. Daxos can expect some early pressure, so having a way to quickly shut down the board matters. This can also be used politically, especially if one player is ahead and another is behind.

At four Experience Bonders' Enclave becomes a low opportunity cost way to draw cards. With that in mind, I'm willing to try cutting a Swamp for it.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Huh, I hadn't thought of womboing Heliod's Mattress Emporium with sagas. On the whole, I've found them ragingly underwhelming - they land, do some stuff and go on their merry way, never feeling like they merit the mana investment. Seems pretty cute though :P Bonders' Enclave is also an interesting idea, but wouldn't you rather just make another dude most of the time anyway? Maybe as reactionary wipe tech?

Interesting that you've got a berserker like that in your group. I've been known to bust out the occasional in-game mouth foam as a cross-game interaction deterrent, but that's for stuff that actually matters. Unless said berserker fields decks that get shut down by Aura of Silence :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Huh, I hadn't thought of womboing Heliod's Mattress Emporium with sagas. On the whole, I've found them ragingly underwhelming - they land, do some stuff and go on their merry way, never feeling like they merit the mana investment. Seems pretty cute though :P Bonders' Enclave is also an interesting idea, but wouldn't you rather just make another dude most of the time anyway? Maybe as reactionary wipe tech?

Interesting that you've got a berserker like that in your group. I've been known to bust out the occasional in-game mouth foam as a cross-game interaction deterrent, but that's for stuff that actually matters. Unless said berserker fields decks that get shut down by Aura of Silence :P
He always uses all of the fast mana. He builds fair-ish decks, never plays green and always go with Crypt, Vault, Ring, et cetera. So yeah, Aura of Silence does shut him down.

He also can't help but overcommit so as soon as someone wipes the board of all of his Artifact mana, he's usually out.

A lot of the time when I dissolve a deck, it's actually because it can't survive the meta of "If this accidentally annoys him, I'm going to be locked into a duel to the death." Someone else has to do something so egregious that he snaps out of it and targets someone else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”