Stella Lee: Shoot to Thrill!

pzbw7z
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pzbw7z » 3 weeks ago

Stella Lee, Wild Card: Shoot to Thrill!

Table of Contents

Deck Overview

This is work-in-progress; high-power; Stella Lee, Wild Card deck. It's been exciting to think about, build and play. So far, the results have been awesome!

There are links to cEDH decks that I've been looking at with a view to improving my own. So far, I've mostly used them to validate my own thinking. :) But in time, I will apply some of their tech. There's a section on discussion of card choices which is under construction.

Forthcoming are sections on game play, win conditions, budget and hopefully, other levels of play, from pre-con mods on up.

By the way, this is a modified pre-con; a heavily modified pre-con. If you're attentive, you'll notice some signs of this fact.

Deck List

Shoot to Thrill
Show
Hide
Shoot to Thrill

Commander

Planeswalker

Approximate Total Cost:

Some Other Lists

Some Other Lists

Card Choice Discussion

Following is a list of cards which were common to at least three of the cEDH lists I've referenced when I referenced them. These cards could be considered a starting point for a competitive list. These lists can obviously change, so some of this listing may not be up to date.
Cards Common to three or more cEDH Lists
Show
Hide
cEDH Core

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Notable Omissions

These are cards from the common list that are not currently in my list.
Out of Budget
Show
Hide
Some of these are just past the threshold of pain and could be added, others are just about out of the question.
Cards I have, but haven't decided to add - yet, I'm using these elsewhere.
Show
Hide
Others
Show
Hide
These are cards I haven't rounded up yet:

Notable Includes

Notable Includes
Show
Hide
These are the cards I play in place of the notable omissions along with my feeble justifications. :)

Cards common to one or two of the cEDH lists mentioned above
  • An Offer You Can't Refuse - Cheap counter magic.
  • Brainstorm - One of the premier cantrips.
  • Dispel - Budget counter magic. Cheap to cast.
  • Red Elemental Blast - This is less susceptible to redirection than Pyroblast, but Pyroblast can be cast without a U target if we just need to add one to the spell count for the turn.
  • Frantic Search - This spell can filter our hand and increase the spell count essentially for free, provided we can cast it using only lands.
  • Cephalid Coliseum - This is a little anti-Thassa's Oracle tech.
  • Exotic Orchard - Will there be U and R in a cEDH pod? I think it's worth the risk.
  • Forbidden Orchard - this is a solid rainbow land. We aren't really in the combat business, so the downside isn't hugely significant.
These are cards that were at least mentioned in the Considering section of one or more of the cEDH lists. These are cards that I can't blame anyone else for! :) Some are pre-con leftovers.

Credits & Thanks

Many thanks to Comedlan (I'll Give You to 3), Cardboard Content (Third Time's a Charm) and ElderDrunkenHighlander (Wicked Witch of the West)!

Change Log

Change log
Show
Hide

Last edited by pzbw7z 15 hours ago, edited 23 times in total.

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 weeks ago

My suggestions are going to be to drive you towards the highest power rather than any fun themes you had in mind.

Mana is your bottleneck and I would go haaaard into making sure that you can keep the flow going. You really want to be able to cast 3 spells each turn.
Frantic Search, Snap, Pyretic Ritual, Desperate Ritual, Rite of Flame, Jeska's Will.

Cheap counter spells Mental Misstep, Dispel, Daze, Flusterstorm.

Interaction; Submerge, Mogg Salvage, March of Swirling Mist.

Artifacts that help; Urza's Bauble, Talisman of Creativity, Jeweled Amulet.

I am confused by the Cunning Sparkmage and Vulshok Sorcerer?
You can infinite untaps of specifically Stella Lee, Wild Card combined with Claim the Firstborn/Cerulean Wisps/Twisted Fealty/Shore Up/Triton Tactics/Refocus/Twitch untapping her and copying those spells again.
Twisted Fealty has an inbuilt win con. Cerulean Wisps, Refocus, Twitch can draw your whole deck.
Claim the Firstborn, Triton Tactics and Shore Up are the worst of them. Shore Up can make Stella infinitely large, but you still have to get in combat damage. Claim the Firstborn and Triton Tactics do nothing on their own unless specifically used with some other cast/copy trigger.

I guess you can combine Triton Tactics with Cunning Sparkmage/Vulshok Sorcerer but this is extremely narrow.

Infuse is a delayed Twitch but might be good enough? Drawing most of your deck in opponents turn is still going to win you the game 90% of the time. *Hint when you can afford Force of Will and Force of Negation that'll help with this plan*
Involuntary Employment is a way to make infinite treasures.

Dramatic Reversal, Hidden Strings, Turnabout, Toils of Night and Day are all cards that can be used with other things that tap for benefits.
Note Dramatic Reversal can be used to give infinite mana with artifacts. You can draw your deck with Sensei's Divining Top.

Seize the Day gives you infinite attacks, which is realistically not where your deck is at.

I've suggested cards and I'd definitely play 15 of those. So what to cut?
If you count actual spells that benefit from Baral, Chief of Compliance, Goblin Electromancer, Thunderclap Drake it is only 16 cards, which is low.
In general your creatures are the weakest things in the deck.
Jori En, Ruin Diver does cost 3 mana and you are looking to only get probably a card a turn round, so a bad Phyrexian Arena (which is mud slow in high power).
Veyran, Voice of Duality I get it triggers Stella Lee, but it is a 3 mana investment and it doesn't even help you with the combo cards as they are winning already or do nothing almost like Claim the Firstborn, Triton Tactics and Shore Up. With evasion in the deck the +1/+1 isn't good.
Spellskite just another creature that dies to removal.
Cunning Sparkmage, Vulshok Sorcerer for the chop.

Then of other spells; Recoup, Lock and Load, Galvanic Iteration, Negate, Radical Idea, Think Twice, Curse of the Swine, Crimson Wisps, Expedite.
Crimson Wisps and Expedite are fine cantrips, but the haste is unlikely to give you the value you are hoping for, because casting Stella and then these AND an additional spell is going be the rare case.

pzbw7z

Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply! Many of your suggestions have been or are being considered. Some I just couldn't round up in time to give this a go this week.

Frantic Search and Snap are cards I have in another deck but I couldn't find another copy in time. I want to add them.

Jeska's Will is another card I have in another deck, but that deck needs it more and I'm reluctant to shell out for another copy, even though it's clearly indicated here.

Rituals are good thoughts, but I haven't added any yet as I wanted to see how it goes first.

Dispel I considered, but choose not to run, but I may reconsider. Daze seemed unreliable with only three Islands on board but I probably have enough fetches to compensate so I may have been wrong about that. Flusterstorm is beyond the threshold of pain, so I would have to feel it were critical before I'd hunt one down. Mental Misstep is one I've considered but just haven't looked into. It also feels a little pricey for its utility.

Talisman of Creativity is in the wish list, which isn't included in hurriedly written post; I've got one but I don't want to pillage my other decks too much. I had forgotten about Urza's, though I did recall Mishra's Bauble. Jeweled Amulet is a card I used briefly in Prosper and it's worth a thought; I've seen it in another list.

Cunning Sparkmage and Vulshok Sorcerer are alternate win-cons; in addition to Triton Tactics, a strived Twinflame make them go infinite with Stella. Hidden Strings and Toils of Night and Day would work as well. I'd considered the former but I'd never heard of the latter. Two-MV appeals more than three - obviously - but I discounted Turnabout due to the four-MV price tag.

In any case, I'm not satisfied with only two win-cons, so for now, the goofy pingers are staying until proven completely impractical.

Involuntary Employment I didn't add just due to the four-MV and, frankly, the lack of mana sinks. I did consider Dramatic Reversal and even Isochron Scepter but ultimately choose to wait and see if there was really a need for big mana.

Veyran, Voice of Duality is already gone, replaced by Spellseeker. Jori En, Ruin Diver is next to go but I have another home for him in a suitably casual deck based on the Paradox Power pre-con. The cost reducers are also in line for replacement as I mentioned, it's just a matter of picking replacements.

Shore Up is a card I played in Will, Scion of Peace for a while, but I saw it in another Stella list and decided to give it a try. I think it's mainly here for the hexproof, but it does generate infinite magecraft triggers. If Ral, Storm Conduit proves his worth, Shore Up might keep it's spot.

Spellskite could probably be another counter spell, but the possibility of diverting a bolt and surviving appeals to me; perhaps I'm overvaluing that capability.

I like Recoup as it's nice to reload a critical spell if one gets milled or countered, Lock and Load is cool, but under-powered, Negate is not the best of the counter-spells but price is an issue with so many of them. Curse of the Swine is a leftover from the pre-con that does indeed need to go.

In addition to the cards discussed here, I also am considering Borne Upon a Wind, Defense Grid, Final Fortune, Mindbreak Trap, Shatterskull Smashing // Shatterskull, the Hammer Pass, Wheel of Misfortune, Windfall and Cursed Mirror. There may be a few that I'm forgetting, but in any case, there's a great deal to think about.

If you're still reading this, I admire your stamina and I want to thank you again for the courtesy of your reply.

pzbw7z

Two games Thursday went well with the list above prior to the Dramatic Reversal swap for Galvanic Iteration. The first game should have ended on turn three, but I bungled it and was fortunate to get it done the following turn. The second game I did get it done on turn three. This proves only that the deck can go fast as no one tried to disrupt either game.

pzbw7z

@darrenhabib I've been looking at cEDH content in the last few days and I've learned why those guys include things like Crimson Wisps, Expedite and Shore Up.

If a combo attempt is interrupted, say by Flusterstorm, one can restart the combo by responding with one of the above mentioned spells; by untapping Stella and then copying the original spell or the prior copy. The cool kids all include two of the three above spells plus Tidal Bore. The latter can do the trick without mana.

I added these cards because they looked like some of the best cantrips from a list I searched up in Gatherer. :) Sometimes it's just as well to be lucky as it is to be good, I suppose.

Also, Claim the Firstborn can steal Drannith Magistrate or Orcish Bowmasters for a moment. In the case of Drannith, it allows us to simply cast our Commander. In both cases, it allows us to combo safely. Twisted Fealty is also in the deck and can be used for that - as well as winning, but having a back up for this isn't the worst plan.
Last edited by pzbw7z 3 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 weeks ago

pzbw7z wrote:
3 weeks ago
@darrenhabib I've been looking at cEDH content in the last few days and I've learned why those guys include things like Crimson Wisps, Expedite and Shore Up.

If a combo attempt is interrupted, say by Flusterstorm, one can restart the combo by responding with one of the above mentioned spells; untapping Stella and then copying the original spell or the prior copy. The cool kids all include two of the three above spells plus Tidal Bore. The latter can do the trick without mana.
I don't understand how Crimson Wisps and Expedite untap Stella!?

I've actually been helping a friend with his cEDH list today, https://www.moxfield.com/decks/mtmqN1qFWUC2p3LnzDyAew
I made similar suggestions of changes I've done with you.

pzbw7z

darrenhabib wrote:
3 weeks ago
pzbw7z wrote:
3 weeks ago

If a combo attempt is interrupted, say by Flusterstorm, one can restart the combo by responding with one of the above mentioned spells; untapping Stella and then copying the original spell or the prior copy. The cool kids all include two of the three above spells plus Tidal Bore. The latter can do the trick without mana.
I don't understand how Crimson Wisps and Expedite untap Stella!?

I've actually been helping a friend with his cEDH list today, https://www.moxfield.com/decks/mtmqN1qFWUC2p3LnzDyAew
I made similar suggestions of changes I've done with you.
It was late when I made that post. They all play Tidal Bore and most of them play Shore Up, they play play either Expedite or Crimson Wisps but obviously not for that purpose.

The first time I played the thing, I fetched Crimson Wisps thinking it untapped . . . I still seem to forget. I am old, it must be said.

pzbw7z

darrenhabib wrote:
3 weeks ago
That list is basically a carbon copy of one of the lists I found on You Tube; https://www.moxfield.com/decks/KeLpgtZCWEuHVZ9-xDdHIg.

The card your friend left out - his list is at 99 - is Expansion // Explosion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”