April CCL Round 2 - Dunes Dwellers

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 month ago

April CCL Signups/Round 2
"Dunes Dwellers"

Banner made from Gilded Cerodon, Camel and Colossal Rattlewurm, by Wizards of the Coast and Matt Stewart, Sandra Everingham, Filip Burburan, respectively.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!
Theme

Partially inspired by the Outlaws of Thunder Junction, it is a Desert month here at CCL. Some challenges will deal with the land type itself, while other will have more to do with the flavour of such places.

Challenge
Design a creature card with a single creature type that mentions Desert land type in its rules text.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Creature types are those like Snake or Plant; you can read more about them here.
  • Desert is a nonbasic land type; you can read more about it here.
  • Your card can have other types, supertypes and subtypes, such as artifact or legendary, as long as it has only one creature type.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Saturday, April 13th, 12:00 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 1st-6th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 6th-13th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 16th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (April 16th-21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due April 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 24th - 28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due April 30th)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate six other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 weeks ago, edited 5 times in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 month ago

Sifter of Grains 3
Artifact Creature - Dog (Rare)
T: Mill a card. If it's a Desert, repeat this process.
Whenever a Desert you control is put into a graveyard from anywhere, create a tapped artifact token at random from Treasure, Food or Junk.
"I reckon I envy that little fella. It don't sweat in the heat, ain't got no greed in its metal heart, and don't need no shut-eye. Sometimes I wake in the dead of night, and there it is, just staring at me. Makes me ponder why it ever agreed to lend us a paw..."
- Lilach, Head of Project New Frontier
2/2

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 month ago

Criteria
Show
Hide
Design a creature card with a single creature type that mentions Desert land type in its rules text.
Plated Armadillo -- 1GG
Creature - Armadillo {C}
Plated Armadillo gets +1/+0 as long as you control a Desert.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 month ago

Rann Lion W
Creature - Cat (R)
Rann Lion has ward 2 as long as you control a Desert, lifelink as long as you control a Swamp, and vigilance as long as you control a Forest.
5W: Until end of turn, Rann Lion gains protection from mana value equal to or less than the number of Deserts you control, gets +2/+0 for each Swamp you control, and gets +0/+2 for each Forest you control.
1/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 month ago

Bloodthirsty Camel
Creature - Camel (Rare)
Haste, lifelink
Whenever Bloodthirsty Camel attacks, it deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of Deserts you control.
Don't upset this Camel. It's power is derived from the layers of boring sand.
4/3
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 1 month ago

Sandstorm Whirler
Creature — Elemental (R)
Flying
When Sandstorm Whirler enters the battlefield, put a creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield face down and tapped. It's a Desert land with ": Add " and ": Turn this permanent face up until end of turn."
4/4
Last edited by AnotherAlias 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 1 month ago

Angry Cactus 1GG
Creature — Plant (uncommon)
Defender, reach.
Whenever you discard or cycle a land card, if that card was a Desert, Angry Cactus loses defender and gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
Discard a land card: Angry Cactus fights target creature you don't control. You may activate this ability only once per turn.
2/2

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 month ago

Orcish Hermit R
Creature - Orc (Uncommon)
Orcish Hermit can't attack unless defending player controls a Desert.
When you don't control a Desert, sacrifice Orcish Hermit.
3/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 month ago

Enduring Herd 1w
Creature - Camel (u)
Protection from lands.
As long as you control three or more Deserts, Enduring Herd assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
Desertcycling (, Discard this card: Search your library for a desert card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.)
0/4

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 4 weeks ago

And the round is closed.

@netn10
@OneAndOnly
@void_nothing
@marioguy3
@AnotherAlias
@Komandon
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Henlock

Please critique six contestants from the list above you, looping if necessary, and also provide top 3 from among them. The critique period is until 16th April, 12:00 EST.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 weeks ago

Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
1 month ago
Enduring Herd 1w
Creature - Camel (u)
Protection from lands.
As long as you control three or more Deserts, Enduring Herd assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
Desertcycling (, Discard this card: Search your library for a desert card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.)
0/4
That's a top-down camel design alright. Protection from lands is the literal Camel! Desertcycling makes sense, and the ability to be defensive and cyclable at first and then be aggresseive is neat.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 month ago
Orcish Hermit R
3/2
Very simple and generic. Makes me imagine some alterantive reality where Amonketh's mono red standard was a little bit more interesting if this card was in there.
Komadon
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
1 month ago
Angry Cactus 1GG
Defender, reach.
Whenever you discard or cycle a land card, if that card was a Desert, Angry Cactus loses defender and gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
Discard a land card: Angry Cactus fights target creature you don't control. You may activate this ability only once per turn.
2/2
This card falls somewhere between uncommon and rare. The activated ability might be too oppressive, but then again, Wicked Wolf was very good without being too oppressive, and your card doesn't gain indestructible. I'd suggest adding a mana cost to that ability. Repeatable fights tied to lands are pretty interesting. The name is quite generic.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
1 month ago
Sandstorm Whirler
Creature — Elemental (R)
Flying
When Sandstorm Whirler enters the battlefield, put a creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield face down and tapped. It's a Desert land with ": Add " and ": Turn this permanent face up until end of turn."
4/4
I love this. Reanimation is a bend in green but you managed an interesting way to make it make sense. Honestly I can see this as a green/blue hybrid card which makes it even more interesting to me. Really neat way to ramp and reanimate in mono green.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
1 month ago
Bloodthirsty Camel
Creature - Camel (Rare)
Haste, lifelink
Whenever Bloodthirsty Camel attacks, it deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of Deserts you control.
4/3
Powerhouse in limited and the flavor text is nice. B/R deserts matter makes sense. Noncombat damage with lifelink is neat, and haste really puts it on another level.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 month ago
Rann Lion W
Creature - Cat (R)
Rann Lion has ward 2 as long as you control a Desert, lifelink as long as you control a Swamp, and vigilance as long as you control a Forest.
5W: Until end of turn, Rann Lion gains protection from mana value equal to or less than the number of Deserts you control, gets +2/+0 for each Swamp you control, and gets +0/+2 for each Forest you control.
1/2
Pretty neat idea for a "three-color" mana card - it doesn't care about Plains but about deserts. This doesn't look that powerful for constructed unless you can reliably get all three types on turn 2, and even then, this card needs some auras, equipment, etc. The activated ability is expensive, but it makes sense - the lion gets more of the same from its lands.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: AnotherAlias
2nd: Henlock
3rd: void_nothing

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 4 weeks ago

Reviews WIP
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 month ago
Rann Lion W
Creature - Cat (R)
1/2
Cute; I want to make this a parallel to Kird Ape. WotC likes little guys with late-game abilities (to make them more useful at all stages of the game) but I'm more ambivalent toward them.

6MV is a lot for a boost, even though you could activate it multiple times. Assuming a 2/2/2 split, it's effectively +4/+4 for 6MV ... but I feel like it'd be pretty rare to be playing a WBGC deck and land an even split. Overall the effect seems tiresome to calculate, which I guess is a different form of griefing your opponent.

marioguy3 wrote:
1 month ago
Bloodthirsty Camel
Creature - Camel (Rare)
Haste, lifelink
4/3
BR seems like an odd color combination for this card; lifelink works just as well in white, which the original Camel was. The "firstest strike" also feels more at home in WR than BR.

AnotherAlias wrote:
1 month ago
Sandstorm Whirler
Creature — Elemental (R)
Flying
4/4
Turning a card face-up for a duration isn't done in normal MtG. It's entirely feasible, and might make for interesting gameplay. I seem to recall around the time of Legions that WotC (or at least, Maro) was opposed to creatures that could un-morph repeatedly; maybe it was to prevent repetitive game states, or to keep the thrill of discovery, or prevent potential misplays.

The cost and effect are all right, but it doesn't feel very green. Effects since Regrowth in Alpha return a card to the hand, not the battlefield, which is usually white or black.

Komandon wrote:
1 month ago
Angry Cactus 1GG
Defender, reach.
2/2
Hurray for cactusfolk! They seem suddenly iconic.

Free fights (especially with a bonus) seems a little over-the-top, even if it's mandatory. I'd expect something like cholla's ability to stick to anything and everything and reproduce like a spiky green rabbit.

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 month ago
Orcish Hermit R
3/2
This feels like a weird throwback to landhome, which WotC discontinued long, long ago. I always felt it was flavorful, but honestly, the flavor doesn't quite hit here. I know there are some who prefer the isolated lifestyle (John the Baptist, Obi Wan Kenobi, others) so the card is crying out for some added flavor text.

Henlock wrote:
1 month ago
Enduring Herd 1w
Creature - Camel (u)
Protection from lands.
0/4
Some small typos -- the period at the end of the protection ability, not capitalizing Desert in the cycling ability.

It's okay, but not exciting. I wish the Doran ability hadn't been done and re-done as often as it has been,

netn10 wrote:
1 month ago
Sifter of Grains 3
Whenever a Desert you control is put into a graveyard from anywhere, create a tapped artifact token at random from Treasure, Food or Junk.
"I reckon I envy that little fella. It don't sweat in the heat, ain't got no greed in its metal heart, and don't need no shut-eye. Sometimes I wake in the dead of night, and there it is, just staring at me. Makes me ponder why it ever agreed to lend us a paw..."
2/2

Rankings
Show
Hide
HM: void_nothing

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 weeks ago

void_nothing: I think this can be a decent creature. There's a lot of text on it, especially the activated ability. I like the static boosts though, and the protection itself can win a game.

OneandOnly: Seemingly basic card; flavor text on it could add to the lore. I like the name though, and the 4/3 for 3 in limited is decently strong.

netn10: I love the design of this creature. It speaks "build around-build with" card. The name is a 10/10 pun.

Henlock: I like the flexibility of the desert-cycling ability. Strong defender in limited until you get the deserts flowing; the aggression will spike (like a cactus) from there.

kwanyeegor-ii: A 3/2 turn one is very much possible. If there is a way to give opponents deserts easily, this would be strong.

Komandon: The angriest cactus Magic has ever invented. The fighting ability is super strong, but the flavor of a cactus fighting a bird in the air is odd (although I just noticed it at least has reach). It stretches its power far and wide.

Top 3:

3rd place: Komandon
2nd place: Henlock
1st place: netn10
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 weeks ago

Just top 3 this time
t3
Show
Hide
1 netn10
2 anotheralias
3 marioguy3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 weeks ago

@OneAndOnly
@void_nothing
@AnotherAlias
@Komandon
@Henlock

Less then 24 hours left for critiques and top 3. If you find yourself with no time for critiques, give at least top 3.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 3 weeks ago

Critiques
Show
Hide

netn10 wrote:
1 month ago
Sifter of Grains 3
2/2
Makes sense. Junk makes more sense than clues. I like the favor text.
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 month ago
Criteria
Show
Hide
Plated Armadillo -- 1GG
Creature - Armadillo {C}
Plated Armadillo gets +1/+0 as long as you control a Desert.
3/3
I see an armadillo getting a defense boost.
void_nothing wrote:
1 month ago
Rann Lion W
Creature - Cat (R)
1/2
I looked up Rann so I understand the name. The abilities/text seem too much not so much the power level.
marioguy3 wrote:
1 month ago
Bloodthirsty Camel
Creature - Camel (Rare)
Haste, lifelink
4/3
Was thinking white since the ability seems more boros to me but white has access to too many was to abusive life gain so the black makes sense for only a powering a down an an already powerful card.
AnotherAlias wrote:
1 month ago
Sandstorm Whirler
Creature — Elemental (R)
Flying
4/4
For a rules part the facedown aspect I see as a problem. Other cards have creatures face up and just lose all abilities and/or types. The added ability wouldn't be an issue. Just it being confused with morph, manifest, cloak and disguise. If the goal is to abuse those Abilene it would make it over powered. Such as a powerful morph that you can't target except by what can target lands unless it's flipped for that one turn. In older cards could be very hard to stop repeating counter spell ability or destruction.

Henlock wrote:
1 month ago
Enduring Herd 1w
Creature - Camel (u)
Protection from lands.
0/4
I am old enough to remember seeing Desert Nomads. With the cards since then that can become creatures this is a nice improvement even if it didn't have the desertcycling ability.
Top 3
Show
Hide

1st: Henlock
2nd: netn10
3rd: marioguy3

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 weeks ago

Top 3:
3rd: marioguy3
2nd: Henlock
1st: void_nothing

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 weeks ago

Quick Crits

@OneAndOnly -Ok draft common. common 3/3's for 3 are popular nowadays but this feels like a small upgrade to Trained Armodon

@void_nothing Odd to care about deserts and basic land types. The activation is rather expensive, but I always liked small creatures that can pack a punch in the late game. I'm not sure you meant it to be unblockable by tokens if you have no deserts.

@marioguy3 I think this is a very powerful and aggressive rare. Kind of the pushed version of Rakdos Ragemutt

@AnotherAlias This is interesting. First, I thought that as it required a creature card to be used you would need to show it, but morph and disguise are checked at end of game if any doubt. I would use some kind of tracking counter on this.

@Komandon I am worried that repeated fighting can be a bit too oppressive in limited for an uncommon. Sure it is costly and the buff is not permanent, and it is pretty tame while not fighting.

@kwanyeegor-ii Oh, deserthome. Of course, this is likely to be premium uncommon in a limited environment such as Outlaw's. Harder to make work anywhere else.

Top 3

1. Marioguy
2. AnotherAlias
3. void_nothing

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 weeks ago

The critiques period and therefore signups ends now. Thanks to all contestants for their submissions and judgements.
The top 8 are as follows:
marioguy3
AnotherAlias
netn10
Henlock
void_nothing
Komandon
KB52665
kwanyeegor-ii
Congratulations! Round 3 will be posted in a moment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”