AnotherAlias
13%
Komandon
25%

Total votes: 8

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 week ago

With some delay, but the April's final poll begins. The April CCL winner will be chosen from the finalists below.
As a reminder, the final challenge was:
Design three Desert land cards, each having a different three-color color identity.
Please look at the submissions below and vote on the participant whose designs you find the best. If you have time and desire, feel free to leave a comment on all or some of the designs.
The poll will run for five days.
Good luck to all finalists!
KB52665 wrote:
2 weeks ago
Sylex Epicenter
Snow Land — Desert (M)
If Sylex Epicenter is in your opening hand and you're not the starting player, you may exile Sylex Epicenter from your hand as the game begins. If you do, at the beginning of your next precombat main phase, add ubr and you lose 10 life.
: Add .

Fertile Crescent
Land — Desert (U)
Fertile Crescent enters the battlefield tapped.
, Sacrifice Fertile Crescent: Add two mana in any combination of , , and/or . You gain 3 life.

Mardu Encampment
Land — Desert (R)
: Add . Mardu Encampment deals 1 damage to you.
Raid: Add or . Mardu Encampment deals 1 damage to you. Activate this ability only if you attacked with a creature this turn.
-----
AnotherAlias wrote:
1 week ago
Dunes of Forgotten Dreams
Legendary Land — Desert (Mythic)
Dunes of Forgotten Dreams enters the battlefield tapped.
When Dunes of Forgotten Dreams enters the battlefield, mill four cards.
: Exile four target cards from your graveyard. If you can't, sacrifice Dunes of Forgotten Dreams and add .

Sandswept Temple
Artifact Land — Desert (Rare)
Add or . Activate only if Sandswept Temple is a creature.
: Put three +1/+1 counters on Sandswept Temple. It becomes a 0/0 red, green, and white Golem artifact creature. It's still a land. Activate only as a sorcery.

Desert of Glass
Artifact Land — Desert (Uncommon)
: Add or . Activate only if you control two creatures with the same name.
-----
Komandon wrote:
1 week ago
Valley of Woes
Land — Desert (rare)
T: Add U, B, or R. Valley of Woes deals 1 damage to you.
Whenever you use Valley if Woe to cast a Curse spell you may discard a card. If you do, create a copy of that spell targeting another player.

Recruitment Outpost
Land — Desert (rare)
T: Add C
1, T: Add R, W, or B. Any non-Ally creature cast with this mana enters the battlefield with an Alliance counter on it.
Creatures with an Alliance counter are Allies in addition to their other types.

Canyon of Smiles
Land — Desert
t: Add G. Each opponent creates a green 0/1 Plant token creature.
T: Add W. Each opponent gains 1 life.
T: Add U. Each opponent scry 1.
"The real loot was the friends we made along the way." Kellen before being turned into an elk by his father, Oko.

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 days ago

To give some thoughts:

KB52665
Sylex Epicenter — Straight up amazing. It is certainly powerful, as all fast mana effects are, but it comes with a hefty downside. The not-starting-player part also helps it, as this usually would lessen the gap made from acceleration. The scale itself not only warrants a mythic, but it feels proper for the event referenced. Likewise, perfect place to use Snow and Desert in one card. I also like how after the "blast" all that is left is essentially Wastes. If I would have a nit pick, then maybe not making this Legendary, but I understand why it is not: you want to have multiple copies of Epicenter, so you can rely on getting it in you opening hand, but after that point they are simply Wastes, so limiting them to only one on the battlefield could be too much of a safety-valve.
Fertile Crescent — Pleasant and quite simple, but still allowing room for tactical decisions. The food-esque life gain really sells the flavour with mechanics only.
Mardu Encampment — And once again simple, but while efficient, not as engaging to me personally as the previous card. Not much to say here, beyond noting proper Mardu flavour. I find it strange that this was not actually printed.

AnotherAlias
Dunes of Forgotten Dreams — It asks some interesting questions, one of them being rules one; if I have three cards in graveyard, will I sacrifice the Dunes or not? And would those three cards be exiled in process, or not? This could be serious roleplayer in self-mill decks, with the burst mana option being a deterrent or consolation against heavy-handed graveyard hate.
Sandswept Temple — It is strictly better Ancient Den. At least it is not legal for Pauper, but it still raises some concerns. It could easily become an artifact only after activation of its manland ability. On the other hand I like the way the second mana ability is gated, it gives a sense of progress. The manland itself can easily grow, but since it does not turn back into land only and has also artifact typing, it is much more vulnerable then its bretheren.
Desert of Glass — Once again, strictly better Ancient Den that still is not legal for Pauper and in singleton formats it require some hoops to fully utilise. There is something pleasant about linking Izzet colors with having two creatures with the same name, though.

Komandon
Valley of Woes — I wonder if this should enter tapped. The closest comparison of multicolor lands entering untapped I could find were Sulfurous Springs Shivan Reef Underground River. They have some upsides, but the Valley gets another color and an additional ability. Also, I am sure that the triggered ability does not work. It should be tied to the mana produced, like for instance Gilanra, Caller of Wirewood.
Recruitment Outpost — Interesting. Much more a mana fixer, then an actual multicolor land. I am not sure if this is intended, it might be, but with the current wording the moment there is no Outpost on the battlefield, including under your opponents' control, creatures with Alliance counter stop being Allies. I also do not see why Outpost is a Desert, likewise about previous Valley of Woes. All the other submissions, including later Canyon of Smiles, have something going for them in this regard, but how those two are Deserts eludes me.
Canyon of SmilesPhelddagrif pasture, I see. Although turning it into "opponent of your choice" would truly make it a political tool, instead of a group hug card. Since those effects are tacked to the mana ability, it could lead to some not necessary intuitive results in stack-intensive situations, but otherwise I like it. The flavour text is some heavy pastiche.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”