April MCC - Judge Signups

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 month ago

Banner based on Megaflora Jungle, by John Avon and Wizards of the Coast.. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
It's time for a new month in the MCC, which means we are in need of volunteers to judge! This is an important job that is vital for the functioning of the monthly contests, and first-time volunteers are welcome as long as they are willing to complete the task below.

If you have ever judged the MCC before, simply reply to this thread to sign up. If you have not, the only thing required of you is to judge the sample card below according to the MCC rubric, which is also provided. Note that the sample card will intentionally have one or more Quality errors in it, and please assume that it gets 2/2 in subchallenges for the sake of convenience.
Sample card
Show
Hide
True Scriptures Acolyte 4B
Creature - Phyrexian Artificer (U)
Deathtouch
When True Scriptures Acolyte enters the battlfield or dies, you may sacrifice an artifact or pay 3 life. If you do, surveil 1, then create a 3/3 colorless golem artifact creature token.
2/2
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judge signups will stay open until the design deadline for Round 1 or until we get enough judges, whichever comes first. The judge signups will be going on in parallel with Round 1.

As a final note, please only volunteer if you think you will have a couple of hours a week (maximum) total free this month in order to complete the tasks of a judge. All your role will entail will be posting your considered and honest judgments for each contestant's card you are assigned for all four rounds.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 month ago

I don't mind judging another month

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Thanks, glad to have you on.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 month ago

Love to see the increased participation this month -- I can drop out to judge if that would be helpful.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout wrote:
1 month ago
Love to see the increased participation this month -- I can drop out to judge if that would be helpful.
No, we're still at the point where two judges can handle it. If there were to be 4 or 5 more entries before the deadline I would take you up on this though, thank you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”