Rocco, Hatebear Caterer

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 2 months ago

Long have I dreamed of a deck that can run Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. @Ruiner stated that I should try a Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer, so here we are.

No fetchlands, painlands, or ancient tomb because of Angel of Jubilation or Yasharn, Implacable Earth. Those 2 also prevent players from paying life to target Terror of the Peak. Lots of basics because of Magus of the Moon.

Kamahl, fist of Krosa can destroy lands with Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite in play, or his ability can provide addition pumps with Elesh Norn.
Decklist

Commander 1

Returning Rocco to my hand 2

Approximate Total Cost:

These are the cards I cut from the list:
What do you guys think?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

This deck is pure table flipping :D I love it.

I would not play *any* vanilla beaters in this deck; and Sun Titan is overcosted without fetch ramp as an out.

Overall really like where you're going.

One really subtle but cool interaction with Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer is that he can find Strict Proctor which makes Selesnya Sanctuary type cards really good. And in three colors you can afford a lot of those and they create some more virtual CA. Proctor is also...very good.

--

One thing I will say about hate bears is that the strongest hate bear in EDH is Archon of Emeria and I would build any hatebear deck around beating that, so the one package I would swap out instantly personally is anything with ETBs. As enticing as the Recruiter of the GuardKiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker --> Dockside Extortionist / Combat Celebrant loops are with Rocco I think you're right to steer clear of that. But I think you could steer harder.

Try Serra's Emissary as a wincon! it's on theme and brutal (and doesn't suffer from any hate effects).

So for me that means all the purphoros guys go and get replaced with more hate guys. Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines can also go.

--

I really like Archon of Valor's Reach. I'd play that.

--

Ways to turn bros into mana might be worth thinking about; Cryptolith Rite / Earthcraft // Song of Freyalise. I particularly like Song since the pump is a decent finisher.

--

These types of decks often benefit disproportionately from antiwipe tech so I'd consider adding Akroma's Will and Guardian of Faith.

If you can think of any efficient ways to give Rocco flash, that would be probably really useful :D

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 1 month ago

So I really want to run Annie Joins Up in this deck. It's perfect for it. Turn 4 Annie Joins up, turn 5 get 2 hatebears out with Rocco. The issue is that Annie Joins Up isn't a creature and runs against Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Gaddock Teeg, and Ruric Thar, the Unbowed.

The other issue with this deck is there are way too many 3 drops. 21. One way to solve this is to remove creatures for non-creatures. I could take out Fierce Empath for Worldly Tutor, Farhaven Elf for Farseek, Eternal Witness for Noxious Revival, Reclamation Sage for Nature's Claim, and Skyclave Apparition for Swords to Plowshares.

This way I could also add in Nature's Revolt which combos with Linvala, Keeper of Silence or Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite.

So I could add in non-creature spells, but that kind of defeats the point of the deck. I would be left with something like this:
Decklist

Commander 1

Returning Rocco to my hand 2

Approximate Total Cost:

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”