[OTJ] Maro teasers for Outlaws of Thunder Junctions

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 month ago

It's that time again.
Before previews for Outlaws of Thunder Junction officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I'm only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:
• A new batch of five related creature types
• A card capable of returning three different card types from the graveyard to the battlefield
• A mechanic players have been asking us to do for many years gets made as the setting was the perfect place to finally do it
• Dual lands with a land subtype that has never been on dual lands before
• A new modal mechanic that introduces something different to think about
• A card that can swap/exchange control of up to three different card types
• A new creature token that has an ability no creature token has ever had before
• A typal card for Skeletons and Zombies
• Creature tokens in the set: (some might have abilities) 1/1 white Sheep, 1/1 blue Bird, 1/1 black Vampire Rogue, 1/1 red Mercenary, 2/1 green Varmint, 2/2 white Ox, 2/2 white Spirit, 2/2 blue and black Zombie, 3/1 red Dinosaur, 3/3 white Angel, 3/3 green Elk, 4/4 red Scorpion Dragon, X/X green Elemental, */* Blue Ox
• Some of the planes with legendary Villains in this set: Dominaria, Eldraine, Fiora, Innistrad, Ixalan, Kaladesh, Kaldheim, Kamigawa, New Capenna, and Ravnica

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• "Then repeat this process X more times."
• "if it wasn't cast or no mana was spent to cast it."
• "Plotting cards from your hand costs {2} less."
• "You can't cast this spell during your first, second, or third turns of the game."
• "That card gains flashback {0}"
• "Target creature becomes a white Rabbit with a base power and toughness 0/1."
• "When you win that flip, copy that spell."
• "If a triggered ability of a legendary creature you control triggers, that ability triggers an additional time."
• "you get that many additional upkeep steps after this phase."
• "Oxen you control have double strike."

Here are some creature type lines from the set:
• Creature – Armadillo
• Creature – Shark Rogue
• Creature – Plant Bard
• Creature – Coyote
• Creature – Homarid Mercenary
• Creature – Rhino Brawler
• Creature – Ox Angel
• Creature – Porcupine Mount
• Legendary Creature – Kor Advisor
• Legendary Creature – Giant Scout

Finally, here are some names in the set:
• Claim Jumper
• Form a Posse
• Gold Rush
• Great Train Heist
• High Noon
• Quick Draw
• Reach for the Sky
• Resilient Roadrunner
• Shoot the Sheriff
• This Town Ain't Big Enough

Tune-in to our official YouTube and Twitch channels on 3/26 to see Oko and the gang in action with new card reveals. In preparation, catch-up on Outlaws of Thunder Junction's story (https://magic.wizards.com/en/story) to bring yourself into the world.
Source: Blogatog

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 month ago

• A new batch of five related creature types
This is presumably going to be... "outlaw" - and this batch has been done in custom designs a lot even before batching was formally introduced. Assassin, Pirate, and Rogue would be the obvious ones. Mercenary is in the set too so I'll say that one. And Brawler is a new type that would fit as the fifth.

• A mechanic players have been asking us to do for many years gets made as the setting was the perfect place to finally do it
This is the mount mechanic.

• Dual lands with a land subtype that has never been on dual lands before
This would probably be the "Land - Plains Swamp Desert" or whatnot cycle.

• A new creature token that has an ability no creature token has ever had before
I was about to confidently say that this is a token with ward until I double checked. Fugitive of the Judoon produces the only creature token with ward. So this is unlikely to be an evergreen keyword. The ability could be a one-off use of a set keyword like Massacre Girl, Known Killer, whatever this type of design is currently called.

The presence of a blue Ox token suggests to me that one of the cards in the set is going to be a Paul Bunyan homage of all things! With the free hand R&D is taking introducing new creature types lately (and I count no less than 5 new ones confirmed just from this teaser), we could very well see the typeline Creature - Giant Lumberjack, unless he's the Legendary Creature - Giant Scout.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 1 month ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 month ago
Paul Bunyan homage of all things!
Hmm living and learning, I had a boss who was a huge fan of US school sports and once he missed a monday because he was hungover since his team had won "Paul Bunyan" so I assumed it was a tournament or something. This lead me down a really fascinating wikipedia rabbit chase

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 month ago

"you get that many additional upkeep steps after this phase."
I'm almost certain about this one and the side story yesterday likely showed this from the picture

And it's quite simply Obeka, Brute Chronologist is here in Thunder junction and she manipulates time just to punch someone into next week so clearly this fits for multiple upkeeps.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”