Raptorchan
71%

Total votes: 7

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 month ago

It's time to vote for the winner of the February CCL! If you're seeing this, you are welcome to vote in the poll based on any criteria you like - just pick your favorite designs.

The challenge for the final round was as follows:
Design five creature cards, each of which has landwalk of a different basic land type.
And the entries are below:
marioguy3 wrote:
1 month ago
Nimble Leviathan
Creature - Leviathan (Rare)
Flash
Reach, islandwalk
Nimble Leviathan can block up to three creatures each combat.
4/4

Leading Sand Dweller
Creature - Snake Archer (Uncommon)
Plainswalk
Whenever Leading Sand Dweller attacks, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
3/3

Elvish Pathway Maker
Creature - Elf Druid (Mythic Rare)
Forestwalk
Other Elves you control get +1/+1 and have forestwalk,
When Elvish Pathway Maker enters the battlefield, each player may search their library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped.
4/4

Liliana's Power Pet

Creature - Zombie Demon (Rare)
Swampwalk
Whenever a nontoken creature dies, each other player creates a 2/2 Black Zombie token, draws a card, and loses 1 life.
3/3

Krenko, Who Motivates
Legendary Creature - Goblin (Rare)
Haste, mountainwalk
Other Goblins you control get +2/+0 and have "When this creature dies, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card."
3/3
Raptorchan wrote:
1 month ago
Brushfire Kavu 3r
Creature - Kavu (U)
Plainswalk
When Brushfire Kavu enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target player equal to the number of Plains that player controls.
4/2

Kukemssa Lookout 2u
Creature - Human Pirate (U)
Islandwalk
When Kukemssa Lookout enters the battlefield, create a Map token.
Sacrifice a Map: Target creature gets islandwalk until end of turn.
2/2

Vidauna's Bogdraggers 4b
Creature - Zombie (U)
Swampwalk
When Vidauna's Bogdraggers enters the battlefield, target player may sacrifice a land. If that player don't, they lose 2 life.
4/3

Deepcave Guide 2r
Creature - Dwarf Scout (R)
Mountainwalk
When Deepcave Guide deals combat damage to a player, if you don't control a land you don't own, gain control of target Mountain or Cave until Cave Guide leaves the battlefield.
2/3

Tangleborn Hydrake 4g
Creature - Hydra Drake (U)
Forestwalk
3u: Tangleborn Hydrake gains flying until end of turn. Activate this ability only if no opponent controls a Forest,
4/5
This poll will run for 5 days. Good luck to both contestants!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 month ago

Nimble Leviathan
I like how reach and islandwalk combination is some twisted form of flying; reach allows blocking, while islandwalk gives evasion against someone with an Island. And those players tend to have fliers. But it still looks weird and additional blocking is much more white then blue.
Leading Sand Dweller
Perfectly servicable uncommon for limited, especially if there is some go-wide theme in a combination with white. However plainswalk looks like it was added as an afterthought.
Elvish Pathway Maker
I have never had a dubious pleasure of going against a fine-tuned Elf deck, so I have no idea what is the ceiling on this card. I would like it more if triggered ability was more like Yavimaya Dryad, with you searching a land for each player and giving them. But maybe it would be too strong?
Liliana's Power Pet
I like it. It rewards you for being aggressive with removal and if you have some silly recursion you could use this as an insidious wincon. Also it is a soft hate on token-light aristocrat strategies, so swampwalk feels like an extension of this color self hate.
Krenko, who Motivates
Mountainwalk on urban crime kingpin looks strange. The buff is sure strong for an aggro archetype and considering that this is looting and not rummaging it feels out of red, honestly.

I think that landwalks on those cards look tacked, more or less, depending on the card in question. All of them being a self hate in color doesn't help, since colors aren't equal in their ability to exploit this. Blue has a number of effects that could help Leviathan, black and green have lands that work with landwalk, there are some odd green auras for lands that grant landtypes, but red and white need to stumble on mirroring opponent.
Also, since all those cards are rather simple - not a bad thing in itself, it keeps them short and elegant - some could have had flavour text.

Brushfire Kavu
I was sure this was referencing some old hate card themed around fires on steppes or savannahs. Flashfires is the closest one I could find, so it seems I am imagining things. This is a simple color hate card, one that you keep in sideboard if there is some strong mono-white deck running around.
Kukemssa Lookout
Flavourful reusage of Map token. Since blue has the most tools to give opponent an Island, this works somewhat like an unblockable, with a setup cost instead of a straight up cost.
Vidauna's Bogdraggers
The triggered ability detracts from swampwalk here. If you don't have a Swamp, 2 life is a bargain for keeping a land, unless you are on 2 life or 1. If I have a Swamp the question is much more interesting, but still not that exciting. At this cost, sacrifice of one land could be mandatory, with a life loss based on whether the sacrifice land was a Swamp or not. Different card, but more appealing to me.
Deepcave Guide
Changes a lot depending on the number of Caves in environment. Land disruption, but with a limiter built-in, in more then one way to boot. Certainly playing it on a safer side.
Deepcave Guide
I think this is my favourite design of all of them. It works well as an uncommon to build around a deck in limited, giving you colors and evasive 4/5, one way or another. Simple and knowing what it wants to be.

Like in marioguy3's submission, I wish at least some of those designs had a flavour text. I appreciate Kavu, not necessarily for the design as a whole, but as the only card that have a landwalk of a different color then its own.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”