Creatures-Only Club

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 1 month ago

Have you ever built an all-creatures deck? I've done it with three different tribes. First, slivers...c'mon, you just need Aluren and it's already hopelessly broken. So, instead, I went with the hive and the hive alone. Then I got bored with it. Now, there are so many slivers, it's stupid, but I digress.

I've also built an all-elementals deck, which I still have together. The third all-creatures deck for awhile was treefolk. Yep, tree-folk. But not Ironroot Treefolk or silly stuff like that. It was Lorwyn treefolk, and was so fast and furious, it always ended up as an Archenemy game when I brought it out. Didn't see that one coming for that tribe. It's no longer all-creature, though, since I added Beast Within and Lignify to shore up weaknesses.

Anyway, it's a fun exercise to move away from the standard build mode and try to make a workable deck with only creatures, I highly recommend it. The more toolbox the tribe, though, the easier it is, unless you just build an all-creature deck from whatever mishmash you have, and then toolbox the heck out of it. That works, too.

If you've built one, please share what you did, and what's cool about the deck, cheers!

RabidVacin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RabidVacin » 1 month ago

I present to you my goblin soldier deck. The Enlistment Officer and Goblin Ringleader are what really give it gas.
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/keldons-crew/
That card is bad and you should feel bad for playing it.

Boros_Blendo

Haha, nice! I like it. Straightforward, fast, and those filter cards are very effective when it's only lands and creatures.

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 1 month ago

My Tyranid deck has all creatures except for Hardened Scales. Does that count?

Boros_Blendo

Diz wrote:
1 month ago
Haha, that's kinda like my treefolk deck. Close counts. Funny fact: I named the deck "Isengard's Bane", way back at Lorwyn, long before a LotR deck was even an idea. And the mono-green portions of that Lorwyn set tribe were so strong, no LotR Treefolk will even crack the list, even though flavor-wise it makes sense. The cool thing about this deck is using Scrying Sheets to filter snow forests (an extra draw) or more Scrying Sheets so that the treefolk engine itself can keep humming along. The treefolk engine is best described as put an extra treefolk (or more) in play every upkeep 2/3 of the time. The Scrying Sheets helps to clear out the other 1/3 stuck situations, clearing the way for more than 2/3 of the time. Leaf-Crowned Elder is the engine. Bosk Banneret gets him out faster, and Treefolk Harbinger helps get him faster. Timber Protector fills the Lord role, and protects the engine. All this acceleration out-tempos most tempo, and Dauntless Dourbark always gets insanely large to close out token hordes and games in general. The tempo/advantage is strong enough to play even in smaller group games. While I had Beast Within in the deck, I think I may sub Rootgrapple back in, as I had underestimated the value of a destruction card that replaces itself. It also won't stop the engine like the Beast Within does. I've noticed that changes I made to "even out" occassional issues against other decks only made it operate less-efficiently. So, this list goes back to a treefolk-only deck, even though 8 of those cards are not creatures.

Isengard's Bane

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Boros_Blendo

Here is my all-creature elemental deck, and it is one of my two-favorite decks. I posted this in the rainbow topic, but it's also all-creature, so it fits in both. It's been nicknamed by a friend as "the machine", which cracks me up. It is all-creatures and goes all-in for creature synergy. Lorwyn elementals were just, in a word, stupid. Which makes for a great tribal deck. :rofl: The Banneret gets the Smokebraider more often than any other card. The Thunderkin Awakener, along with the Reveillark, is the recycling element that gets stronger when Incandescent Soulstoke is in play, increasing what I can bring out. Nova Chaser is both heavy-hitter and setter-offer of shenanigans with etb/ltb/champion mechanics. The rest is simple beatdown and toolbox effects stapled to cards. Capable of common swings for 15-25 points, it goes explosive from relatively sedate in a very short period, sometimes in the same turn.

Mental for Elementals

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 1 month ago

Boros_Blendo wrote:
1 month ago
Diz wrote:
1 month ago
Haha, that's kinda like my treefolk deck. Close counts. Funny fact: I named the deck "Isengard's Bane", way back at Lorwyn, long before a LotR deck was even an idea. And the mono-green portions of that Lorwyn set tribe were so strong, no LotR Treefolk will even crack the list, even though flavor-wise it makes sense. The cool thing about this deck is using Scrying Sheets to filter snow forests (an extra draw) or more Scrying Sheets so that the treefolk engine itself can keep humming along. The treefolk engine is best described as put an extra treefolk (or more) in play every upkeep 2/3 of the time. The Scrying Sheets helps to clear out the other 1/3 stuck situations, clearing the way for more than 2/3 of the time. Leaf-Crowned Elder is the engine. Bosk Banneret gets him out faster, and Treefolk Harbinger helps get him faster. Timber Protector fills the Lord role, and protects the engine. All this acceleration out-tempos most tempo, and Dauntless Dourbark always gets insanely large to close out token hordes and games in general. The tempo/advantage is strong enough to play even in smaller group games. While I had Beast Within in the deck, I think I may sub Rootgrapple back in, as I had underestimated the value of a destruction card that replaces itself. It also won't stop the engine like the Beast Within does. I've noticed that changes I made to "even out" occassional issues against other decks only made it operate less-efficiently. So, this list goes back to a treefolk-only deck, even though 8 of those cards are not creatures.

Isengard's Bane

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

I like the snow theme! My Sidisi Commander deck has a snow sub-theme and has both ways of generating Marit Lage.

Boros_Blendo

Heh, like any "can't miss" engine, the Scrying Sheets misses more than I like to admit, but when it works, it's a thing of beauty.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”