February MCC Round 4 - Solution

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 2 months ago

(Gandalf, Friend of the Shire by Dmitry Burmak)

February MCC Round 4

Solution

Times change, and what seemed impossible yesterday is pretty much real now. So, keeping with the changes, we are making Universes Beyond MCC contest this month - here we meet characters from other universes that somehow took form of Magic cards. Magic multiverse is big - but what lies beyond its boundaries can be even bigger...

Main Challenge - Design a card for your chosen IP with a brand new named mechanic (keyword ability or keyword action) with reminder text.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card is a common or uncommon.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card is monocolored or colorless.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge

You can read about Keyword abilities and keyword actions here. Keep in mind, ability words that have no rules baggage do not count. Make your own new mechanic and also make sure to include reminder text that must explain how your mechanic works.

Subchallenge 1
Common or uncommon, so no rares/mythics.

Subchallenge 2
Simple as that, your card isn't multicolored. Colors mean actual colors of the card but not card's color identity.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.
You can also check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Friday, March 15th 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Wednesday, March 20th 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Raptorchan
void_nothing

PLAYERS

@Caspernicus (LotR/Hobbit)
@slimytrout (Song of Ice and Fire)
@Subject16 (Song of Ice and Fire)

BRACKETS
All three players are gonna be judged by both judges. Player with highest combined score wins.

Caspernicus
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Caspernicus » 2 months ago

Entering Beorn's House 2g
Enchantment — Saga (U)
Narrate (As this saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter, then you may pay . If you do, remove a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I — Target creature you control explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
II — Create a 1/1 red Dwarf creature token.
III — Create a Food token for each creature token you control.
Last edited by Caspernicus 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 month ago

Lady Alysane Mormont 1G
Legendary Creature — Human Noble (U)
Vigilance
Noble Heir (Whenever another Noble you control dies, you may exile it. Lady Alysane Mormont gets +1/+1 for each card exiled this way and has their activated abilities.)
1G, T: Target creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is Lady Alysane's power.
One does not provoke the She-Bear needlessly.
2/2

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 month ago

Knives to the Heart 3BB
Sorcery (U)
This spell costs 2 less to cast if it targets a legendary creature.
Destroy target creature. It's controller loses life equal to its power.
Scheme 2B (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, you may cast it for its Scheme cost.)
"For the Watch."

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 1 month ago

It's judging time.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(1,5/3) Appeal - I'd say all three players are cautiously optimistic about this card.
(2,5/3) Elegance - A saga with an ability to remove lore counters can raise questions among less experienced players. Other than that, no problems.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Each chapter fits well into color wheel. Rarity can be rare as well due to complexity but I guess the power level is okay for an uncommon.
(2/3) Balance - Rather on a weak side if you ask me. A repeatable ability shouldn't be underestimated but it has quite a steep cost and a bit slow. Saga cost or narrate cost could easily be lower.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - Can't say this isn't fresh although abilities ae known and it even reminds me of another food-related saga rom LotR set.
(3/3) Flavor - Sper flavorful, very evocative and the mechanic fits this particular saga representing tht exact scene from Hobbit book perfectly. The minor problem is - how many sagas from this or another setting you think you can do using this mechanic where it would make sense? Not going to deduce points since I am judging a standalone sign, just something to think about.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All great.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Met.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both met.

Total: 21,5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Johnny is interested, Spike and Timmy are so-so.
(2,5/3) Elegance - Everything is fine except the reminder text. It makes kinda uncertain how the ability works - woudn't "exiled by it" be better?

Development
(3/3) Viability - It's as green as it can get and can be an uncommon, especially considering the fact that Noble Heir mechanic must be printed on at leat uncommons to be limited viable.
(2,5/3) Balance - It's a damn strong legendary bear with three upsides. Although the game has precedents of bears with six upsides, even. What makes it a bigger deal is a repeatable ability that applies pressure yet keeps Alysane Mormont safe so it probably and likely makes it weigh more.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Reminds a bit abut Syr Faren but everything else is novel enough. However, there are tons and tons of rds that borrow abilities from exiled cards one way or another.
(3/3) Flavor - Noble heir mechanic is damn great and fits SoIaF setting perfectly. Mormont family members being literal bears (2/2 for 2 mana) or, in this case, She-Bears, is just a chief's kiss and a great example of what I would like UB cards to be. Highest score.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - There are multiple precedents of cards that have " activated abilities of all creature cards exiled with it" but your card has differently worded abiity PLUS it's a reminder text and not a rules text so I decided not to deduce points here.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Satisfied.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both met.

Total: 22/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Johnny doesn't see many ways to be creative with this card, Spike is a bit concerned about power level, but Timmy likes it.
(3/3) Elegance - It has tree abilities but all is understanable and elegant enough.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Rarity is fine and color is on point.
(2/3) Balance - It reminds a lot of Phthisis which also can be cast for B but wasn't considered a great card even though it can deal massive damage to a player. But at least, no one can say about your card that they saw it coming (of course if the implied set as a lots of cards with Scheme).

Creativity
(1,5/3) Uniqueness - Every effect of this card is well known and has its cards save for Scheme - which is, unfortunately, is a child of Prowl, Cipher and Foretell so it's not just something super novel.
(3/3) Flavor - Plotting fits SoIaF just great. The card's flavor is very evocative an reminds of THAT scene just fine. Flavor text is short and brutal. Highest score.

Polish
(2,5/3) Quality - Must be "its", not "it's".
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Satisfied.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both yes.

Total: 21/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 month ago

Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy/Jxnny card, with both of them wanting a lot of token wackiness and a wave of Food. Spike, however, sees this as not efficient enough.
(1.5/3) Elegance - With two non-evergreen mechanics, this card has a heck of a lot of reminder text for an uncommon. Being a Saga and making multiple kinds of tokens also adds to tracking complexity. Mechanically, however, this card is actually rather simple in execution.

Development
(3/3) Viability - No issues with color and rarity.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, no problems. Yes narrate allows you to repeat abilities, but exploring and 1/1 vanilla tokens are hardly going to take over the game on their own.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Reminds me of multiple Food-themed Sagas such as Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit and Welcome to Sweettooth. However, narrate is a new use of Saga design space.
(3/3) Flavor - One of my favorite sequences in The Hobbit!

Polish
(2.75/3) Quality - Saga should be capitalized in the narrate reminder text. Normally I'd take off half a point but this is so, so minor I think it has to be .25 instead.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - A nice approach! LTR had a Saga theme and so a new Saga keyword makes sense.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 20.75/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the potential size and ability to share that size, Jxnny wants to combo out with the keyword, even Spike sees this as pretty efficient in a dedicated typal deck if there were such a thing for Nobles.
(2/3) Elegance - This sort of thing generally makes combat math harder, and Noble heir is a pretty complex mechanic when there are multiple cards exiled.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - +X/+0 is sort of on the borderline of red and green these days, and particularly done in this way - not power-doubling but adding Alysane's own power to any creature - seems to lean red. This is a relatively strong/complex uncommon but uncommon is fine nonetheless.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, nothing too crazy here - Noble heir inherently does potentially enable infinites, but only with several cards.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - While the design as a whole is simple enough to be uncommon, the new keyword is very interesting.
(3/3) Flavor - Great flavor text that would make players understand Alysane's character even if they didn't know the IP.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Multi-word keyword mechanics don't capitalize words after the first - other than More Than Meets the Eye, which is a trademarked catchphrase. The use of the card's full name rather than "this creature" in reminder text is also unorthodox.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Nicely done, I see this keyword fitting in an ASOIAF set.

Total: 22/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy (for the possibility of a huge game swing by killing a high power legend and causing its controller to lose lots of life) and Spike (for being versatile removal with some sweetening) card. Jxnny does not have a lot to do with this, being pretty straightforward removal.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Nothing too confusing here, but it does combine an alt cost and cost removal, which does add complication.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Yup, that is a textbook black uncommon.
(3/3) Balance - The life loss part might be a little pushed, but it's five-mana (at base) sorcery-speed removal and there are tons of cards that punish high-power creatures.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Scheme is clearly a riff on foretell, with the allowance of being able to cast the card on the same turn opening up some possible design space. The card itself here is not especially innovative, not that something like this has to be.
(3/3) Flavor - Clearly depicts a certain scene but the name, while being specific, is also generic enough to work as a removal spell.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - "It's power" should say "its" and scheme should not be capitalized in the reminder text.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done!

Total: 20/25
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Totals:

slimytrout 44
Caspernicus 42,25
Subject16 41

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”