The DCC - March 9th, 2024

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

And today I'm even later than yesterday... I'm currently writing MCC judgments and they took my attention a bit too much, as I didn't realize it was already past 1 am here in Italy. I took a pause to post this. You will get to know Mirka today, but I will introduce her to you later because I want to finish writing those judgments first.

EDIT - Ok, now that I'm done I can tell you all about Mirka and then head straight to bed.

Mirka is a female Elf, and technically the oldest member of the group, even though she's more or less the same age as the other ones for elvish standards. On Vukanat, elves can easily live a couple centuries, but most of all they are divided in two very distinct and opposite factions, called the Orthodox (GU) and the Heretics (RG). Mirka belongs to the former, but has met some Heretics in her life, and that's key to the ending of the main plot of the one novel that I've already written. The two factions both care about nature and how to reconnect with it, but they have opposite ideals about that: the Orthodox believe that we should keep our emotions and impulses under control to achieve that goal, while the Heretics believe the exact opposite: that we should embrace our emotions and impulses because that's exactly how nature made us. Orthodox elves are cold and distant, Heretic elves are welcoming and warm. Very few elves live in the big cities of the plane, they are the one race that prefers to live outside the cities, in the wilderness. Orthodox elves live in organized villages made of huts disposed in a regular way, usually in the forests along the course of a river. Mirka lives in one such village, named Tulijak, not far from the city where all the others in the group live. Heretics instead live in natural hideouts like caves and such, tending to live all together and share things and feelings with each other. Mirka is a scout, who explored a lot of different places and met a lot of different people in her life. Relevant to the story, once she met a group of Heretics while visiting another elvish village in one of her trips, and they taught her one of their Heretic spells who channel emotions, in this case specifically rage, called the Ragespell. In Orthodox villages though even just knowing one Heretic spell of having personal relationships with a Heretic is enough to get you expelled from the village, and that's the last thing Mirka wants, as she has all of her family and most of all her lifelong boyfriend in Tulijak, so to avoid that she decides to keep her knowledge of the Ragespell as a secret. Also relevant to the story, she knew Kim while Kim was in the equivalent of a European university or an American college (yes, I know they're different, and that's my main and only issue with Strixhaven, which is too close to American colleges in my opinion, I just mean the highest possible level of study), when one of Kim's professors took his class to visit Tulijak as part of his course. Mirka had been designated by the village chief (which in Orthodox villages is always the oldest elf living in the village) to be the guide for Kim's class's visit to their village, and that's how they first met and then became friends. Again relevant to the story is that Mirka learned a lot of healing magic from different people during her scouting missions. That's why Kim chooses her as the party's healer even though that's not technically her primary job. How does it all connect at the end of the story? I'll put it in spoiler tags just to be sure, who knows, maybe someday you will become one of the very few people in the whole world to have access to my story...
Main plot's ending
Show
Hide
Mirka teaches the Ragespell to Kim during the final battle, making him promise to keep both the spell itself and the fact that she knows it as a secret. Then Kim defeats the antagonist by casting the Ragespell against him with the help of his own former worst enemy, now a friend: Drago, who you've already met. Kim and Drago begin the story as worst enemies and end it being friends. Not best friends, but still friends. There is a specific event that causes that to happen at about halfway of the story.

DCC Scroreboard

netn10 21 (+2)
Rithaniel 20 (+2)
RattingRots 16 (+2)
bravelion83 14 (+2)
OneAndOnly 13
marioguy3 8 (+4)
void_nothing 6
archemedesx 5
KB52665 4
MonoRedMage 4 (+4)

bravelion83 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: Rithaniel, MonoRedMage

Ratka's Diffidence UB
Instant (U)
Counter target noncreature spell. If that spell is countered this way, you may pay life equal to half that spell's mana value, rounded down. If you do, draw that many cards.
"You shouldn't distrust information just because your source isn't exactly legal. You know what you can't trust instead? The mainstream. Never believe what the system tells you. Always remember that official sources will only tell you what they want you to believe, not what's true."
OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: netn10, marioguy3
City Mortician -- 2B
Creature - Human Citizen {U}
If a creature you control would die, sacrifice it instead.
B, T: Put target creature card in a graveyard on the bottom of its owner's library.
"I've seen knife-wounds, burn marks, bite marks, gouges, concussions, scrapes, and fungal infestations -- but I yain't never seen nothin' like that before!"
1/4
archemediesx wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots , netn10
marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: MonoRedMage, bravelion83

Day 6: Golem Wall

Creature - Golem (Rare)
Indestructible
Golem Wall can't attack.
Whenever another creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on Day 6: Golem Wall.
4/4
netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots, marioguy3

Smugscatter 1GW
Creature - Elemental (Rare)
Flash
When Smugscatter enters the battlefield, destroy target enchantment you don't control.
Evoke B
Madness 1B
Unearth 2B
4/4
RattingRots wrote:
2 months ago
MonoRedMage, Rithaniel

Go Berserk R
Sorcery (U)
Kicker 4R
Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains haste until end of turn.
If ~ was kicked, untap that creature the next time it attacks this turn and there is an additional combat phase after this phase.
Rithaniel wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: bravelion83, marioguy3

Icy Depths
Snow Land R
Icy Depths enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add .
, Sacrifice another snow land: Until end of turn, Icy Depths becomes an 8/8 blue Leviathan creature with hexproof and trample. It's still a snow land.
"As I sank deeper into that inky, icy darkness, I felt, rather than saw, its motions."
—Yeng, Cultist of the Cold
Last edited by bravelion83 2 months ago, edited 4 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Votes: RattingRots, Rithaniel
Snarling Cur -- 1R
Creature - Hound {U}
Whenever another creature enters, if it has greater size, Snarling Cur fights it. (Size is power plus toughness.)
1R: Snarling Cur gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
2/1
Last edited by OneAndOnly 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

Votes: RattingRots, netn10

Mirka's Cure GU
Instant (U)
Target creature you control gains indestructible and hexproof until end of turn. Creatures blocking or blocked by that creature get -2/-0 until your next turn.
"You have to be able to detach yourself from your hastiness and worries to reconnect with your inner roots. Nature is much slower than what our society demands, and will always protest. Sickness is its means to tell you you're deviating from it. I'll cure you now, but if you ignore that, eventually you'll get sick again. It's inevitable."
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 2 months ago

OneAndOnly, netn10

Scarab God's Tomb 2UB
Artifact (R)
Artifact and creature cards in your graveyard have eternalize 4.
Eternalize 5UB (5UB, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie creature with no mana cost. Eternalize only as a sorcery.)

(Yes I'm aware that I changed eternalize by adding the word "creature")
Last edited by RattingRots 2 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 months ago

Votes: netn10: RattingRots

Day 7: Silenced
Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant creature you control.
You can't cast spells.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has lifelink.
At the beginning of your end step, you may sacrifice this enchantment. If you do, draw cards equal to half the life you gained this turn, rounded up.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 months ago

Votes: bravelion83, RattingRots

Into the Sunset 5WW
Instant (Rare)
You may cast this spell without paying its mana cost if it's the end step.
End the turn. If you paid this spell's mana cost, you gain 20 life.
Each day in Thunder Junction makes promises that tomorrow can't keep.

archemediesx
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by archemediesx » 2 months ago

Votes: RattingRots , Rithaniel
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”